Fire danger

Dawggss

Re: Fire danger

Post by Dawggss »

Have to wonder about some of my fellow citizens . . .
This AM was in front yard and peace/quiet disturbed by loud pipes AND blaring music from motorcycle coming around corner. OK - can live with that, but the operator was very cool-looking, bandana, et al - and especially puffing the cigarette hanging out of his mouth as he motored past.
Questions: Think he has an enclosed ashtray on that bike?
If not - where will the ashes / embers go?
Is it possible an ember could fly off and land in dry roadside grasses?
Will cig be butted safely - or tossed?

Considering many (most?) fires have human origins, have to ask people to get their acts together and reduce the potential for 'accidents' - regardless of the 'Cool look factor'!!!
Please consider the extreme hazard warnings.
“Left vs Right is an out-dated concept and an oversimplification of the 21st Century.” James Morcan

“What if I told you that the Left Wing and the Right Wing belong to the same bird?”
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I truly feel for all the evacuated/displaced Families/people (as well pets/& other animals) in this Province due to forest fires.
Went from wet spring to this in snap of ones fingers almost, Wow.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote:I truly feel for all the evacuated/displaced Families/people (as well pets/& other animals) in this Province due to forest fires.
Went from wet spring to this in snap of ones fingers almost, Wow.

Here's a news flash for you: Kelowna is not the centre of the universe! Just because it was record wet in the the Okanagan that doesn't mean it was record wet everywhere or even wetter than normal. For example, Tatlayoko Lake in the Cariboo was drier than normal in March. Drier than normal in April. Drier than normal in May, and pretty much rainless since.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Government forest fire fighting policy is completely :cuss: up..Even now that a Provincial state of emergency has been called, there's no exception to the rules.

The three big fires in the Little Fort/ Dunn Lake area are out of control, yet at the time of me writing this, there's only three bodies and one piece of equipment on scene..Meanwhile, 20 miles further up the NT river where I live there's three fire fighting contractors that have not been called out because they're not far enough up the list of designated fire fighting contractors..besides that, there's also 82 logging contractors working the upper NT valley right now with all the right equipment, and most of their crews holding the s100 fire ticket, however the MOF won't use them because they aren't on the designated contractor list, It all comes down to liability.....A state of emergency has been called, local loggers and local fire fighting contractors have to sit back and watch the forest burn down until crews from Australia and Ontario get here.
This also happened a couple years ago, crews from Ontario were fighting fires in my region, and local fire fighting crews were sent to the Yukon.

Furthermore, Todd Stone called the Provincial state of emergency. How come nonessential vehicles aren't being restricted from entering the province? How come tourists aren't being told to leave ASAP for both their protection, and so they won't be placing a burden on our already stretched to the limit emergency resources as well as food and gas etc that will be in short enough supply to meet the needs of BC citizens if things start to get worse ? You would think that a Provincial state of emergency would include such measures..
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

What is NT river?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

tsayta wrote:What is NT river?

North Thompson
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yea i agree. give them govt insurance and get anyone capable and willing into the fight. theres no rain forecast for large area of bc
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Reports have it some areas are either running out of fuel or are out of fuel, those trying to get out of the area. Could have a problem doing so i.e Clearwater has run out of gasoline
Last edited by GordonH on Jul 8th, 2017, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I sure hope the changeover of government isn't messing things up
WW
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

impo every available forest fighter in Western Canada should heading here now.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

tsayta wrote:I sure hope the changeover of government isn't messing things up

Nope, the old government is still running the show. The new government hasn't been sworn in yet. It was Todd Stone that called the state of emergency.
Póg Mo Thoin
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

This is just north of Little Fort on the east side of the NT River taken last evening. It's really :cuss: :cuss: ignorant that local logging contractors ARE NOT allowed to put their equipment in there a build fire guards. There's one lone air tanker flying back and forth between Adams Lake and the three fires in the immediate area. ETA: the fire is now much bigger than in the picture.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Last edited by Hurtlander on Jul 8th, 2017, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Póg Mo Thoin
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Hurtlander wrote:This is just north of Little Fort on the east side of the NT River taken last evening. It's really :cuss: :cuss: ignorant that local logging contractors ARE NOT allowed to put their equipment in there a build fire guards. There's one lone air tanker flying back and forth between Adams Lake and the three fires in the immediate area.

That's INSANE
WW
Wildfire 3

Post by Wildfire 3 »

GordonH wrote:impo every available forest fighter in Western Canada should heading here now.

We have ~80 contract firefighters in camp in WK, but currently they're demobing sandbags from the flood.

While government talks about bringing in out of province firefighters.
Deployed - Destroyed - Enjoyed
Oliver 2015
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Wildfire 3 wrote:
GordonH wrote:impo every available forest fighter in Western Canada should heading here now.

We have ~80 contract firefighters in camp in WK, but currently they're demobing sandbags from the flood.

While government talks about bringing in out of province firefighters.

OMG that is crazy
WW

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”