Waters Edge Condo Fire (Mission Fire)

Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Fire in Lower mission?

Post by Jflem1983 »

tsayta wrote:Yes good point. I was wondering about that. What happened to the firewalls and other protection designs? I suppose it was too early in construction to have the sprinkler system operational?

It was in . I used to work for the company who installed it . Might be a bad day for them
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

There was another appt complex that burned down completely just few blocks away from that area.

Bad mojo.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

tsayta wrote:Yes good point. I was wondering about that. What happened to the firewalls and other protection designs? I suppose it was too early in construction to have the sprinkler system operational?

Jflem1983 wrote:It was in . I used to work for the company who installed it . Might be a bad day for them

Why might it be a bad day for them?
Display Guy

Re: Condo Fire at Truswell

Post by Display Guy »

Negative business review
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Jul 8th, 2017, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: negative business review
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

WalterWhite wrote:

Jflem1983 wrote:It was in . I used to work for the company who installed it . Might be a bad day for them

Why might it be a bad day for them?

Fire suppression carries a heavy burden . Easy to get bent over if something goes wrong . Time will tell if that's the case here . I hope the boys are not at fault in any way
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

For myself if I was going to move into a condo above 3 storeys high, would not be wood construction (wood chip pressed plywood, burning resin or whatever bonding agent is).
Steel & concrete construction only for me, 2 problems with wood
1) burns easily
2) over time squeaking happens
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

forum wrote:The roofer is going to be traumatized for life. And I feel bad for the guy, these guys have a tough job and honestly don't get paid well for their efforts.

That being said, no way he should have been working alone with an open flame on a stick building.

I blame the Site Supervisor on this one for allowing the situation to even be an option.

What if the roofer was the supervisor? :200:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

In my humble opinion. The fire code is to blame . Need more sprinkler heads per unit . Need more concrete and less wood in a six story structure . I'm just a layman . No expert . However that's how I see it . I know there are many 6 story wood buildings going up in town .

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Jflem1983 wrote:No this goes higher . Stairwells need to be concrete floor to rooftop. If this happened at night in an occupied structure we are looking at 20 dead

In a word - no. Fire doors and fire suppression were not operational due to the project still being built from what I understand. Finished firewalls, corridors and exits would have provided the required safe zone necessary for the time required - the designs are specific for that. I have no idea what level of completion the project was at overall, but I heard some owners were expecting to be moving in less than 2 months from now. That said, given the speed with which this took off, I would expect there was some unfinished areas, likely in the upper floor(s) which would be further from completion than ground floor units and even more susceptible to fire.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Jul 8th, 2017, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

phasyluck wrote:I smell arson.

I smell jumping to conclusions based on absolutely zero facts. That's a pretty ridiculous and meaningless statement to make while the pile of rubble is still burning. smh
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

WalterWhite wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:No this goes higher . Stairwells need to be concrete floor to rooftop. If this happened at night in an occupied structure we are looking at 20 dead

In a word - no. Fire doors and fire suppression were not operational due to the project still being built from what I understand. Finished firewalls, corridors and exits would have provided the required safe zone necessary for the time required - the designs are specific for that. I have no idea what level of completion the project was at overall, but I heard some owners were expecting to be moving in less than 2 months from now. That said, given the speed with which this took off, I would expect there was some unfinished areas, likely in the upper floor(s) which would be further from completion than ground floor units and even more susceptible to fire.

Makes sense
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

JagXKR wrote:How many more buildings need to burn down before torch on roofing is either banned or new regulations calling for significant fire extinguishing apparatus manned and ready during operations? This is the cause of soooo many buildings going up in flames. Torch on roofers are starting to get a very poor reputation.

Although the following link is to a company it does show some interesting figures about BC roofing.

http://techproroofing.ca/reasons-why-to ... be-banned/

How many more car accidents are going to happen before cars are banned? Installed properly by qualified installers mod bit roofing is safe, affordable and durable. I certainly wouldn't be basing anything off of an info-mercial from a roofing supplier touting a new product. Torch on definitely lasts longer than the 15 year max they're saying. Fire suppression equipment is mandatory when installing, and as I stated earlier, this guy's unfortunately going to have a few hard questions to answer. Properly equipped there's no reason a single worker couldn't have dealt with a fire in that situation.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

You know what, hats off to the firefighters, RCMP, ambulance services, City of Kelowna workers that managed this disaster today. Fine job well done. Especially not easy given the crowds :up:
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

tsayta wrote:You know what, hats off to the firefighters, RCMP, ambulance services, City of Kelowna workers that managed this disaster today. Fine job well done. Especially not easy given the crowds :up:

Ditto that - not to mention the added difficulty of the heat. Can't imagine grunting away inside a burning hulk like that with around 100lbs of gear on you. Incredibly fluid situation that has apparently only resulted in minor injuries.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”