Fire danger

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Fire danger

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:impo every available forest fighter in Western Canada should heading here now.

Wildfire 3 wrote:We have ~80 contract firefighters in camp in WK, but currently they're demobing sandbags from the flood.

While government talks about bringing in out of province firefighters.

Priorities are little screwed up, City of West Kelowna employees can deal with the sandbags along with residents.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

As far as I'm concerned anyone that shows up at the local MOF office with proper turn out gear, and proof that they've complete all the various fire suppression courses, should immediately be put to work. To hell with designated contractors called in order of where they place on the call out list.....The big fire of 2003 at Barriere could've been avoided if the MOF had of listened to the local loggers and contractors, someone wrote a book about that huge cluster :cuss:
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Hurtlander wrote:As far as I'm concerned anyone that shows up at the local MOF office with proper turn out gear, and proof that they've complete all the various fire suppression courses, should immediately be put to work. To hell with designated contractors called in order of where they place on the call out list.....The big fire of 2003 at Barriere could've been avoided if the MOF had of listened to the local loggers and contractors, someone wrote a book about that huge cluster :cuss:

I thought there was some kind of law that allowed authorities to press any able person into the fight if conditions warranted it
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Looking at whats happening & weather forecast, Justin needs to have any armed forces available to assist forest fighters. Sent to BC now, its all hands on deck

along with any equipment that will help
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

tsayta wrote:
Hurtlander wrote:As far as I'm concerned anyone that shows up at the local MOF office with proper turn out gear, and proof that they've complete all the various fire suppression courses, should immediately be put to work. To hell with designated contractors called in order of where they place on the call out list.....The big fire of 2003 at Barriere could've been avoided if the MOF had of listened to the local loggers and contractors, someone wrote a book about that huge cluster :cuss:

I thought there was some kind of law that allowed authorities to press any able person into the fight if conditions warranted it

That was before the word LIABILITY became part of our regular vernacular. Back in the day I was pulled off the job lots of times to fight fires.
Póg Mo Thoin
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

I copied this from a FB group..
Attachments
image.jpeg
Póg Mo Thoin
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Probably a dumb question, but I'm listening to the scanner and the pilots are using terminology like "whiskey bravo heading to 643". I presume 643 is the fire number for Princeton, but what is whiskey bravo? Possibly west bound?
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Probably WB643.

BTW, the fire danger rating is improving in our area...

dr-july-8-2017.png

By comparison, here's what it looked like two days ago...

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Wildfire 3

Post by Wildfire 3 »

tsayta wrote:Probably a dumb question, but I'm listening to the scanner and the pilots are using terminology like "whiskey bravo heading to 643". I presume 643 is the fire number for Princeton, but what is whiskey bravo? Possibly west bound?

I believe that was Whiskey Bravo ~Victor (?) - helicopter callsigns typically have 3 letters.
Deployed - Destroyed - Enjoyed
Oliver 2015
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Glacier wrote:Probably WB643.

BTW, the fire danger rating is improving in our area...

dr-july-8-2017.png

By comparison, here's what it looked like two days ago...

That's a rather surprising change.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

tsayta wrote:Probably a dumb question, but I'm listening to the scanner and the pilots are using terminology like "whiskey bravo heading to 643". I presume 643 is the fire number for Princeton, but what is whiskey bravo? Possibly west bound?

What you don't want to hear is the pilot calling out whiskey tango foxtrot.
Póg Mo Thoin
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

hurtlander who is the minister of forests now? still the old guard ? and yes before we saw same idiocy last time we had lots fires. makem sign waiver and let em work i say. when i fought fires in northern bc pre 1990 we grab anyone in shape or not
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Wildfire 3 wrote:

I believe that was Whiskey Bravo ~Victor (?) - helicopter callsigns typically have 3 letters.

Off topic a bit, in Canada airplanes/helicopters have five letters in their callsign, the first letter always being "C", for radio communications the four letters after the "C" are used (ex: FABC) it can be shortened to the last three letters by ATS.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Hurtlander wrote:

What you don't want to hear is the pilot calling out whiskey tango foxtrot.

Or hotel foxtrot sierra
WW
Wildfire 3

Post by Wildfire 3 »

GenesisGT wrote:

Off topic a bit, in Canada airplanes/helicopters have five letters in their callsign, the first letter always being "C", for radio communications the four letters after the "C" are used (ex: FABC) it can be shortened to the last three letters by ATS.

Right, although I've never heard Wildfire Branch use the full 5.
Deployed - Destroyed - Enjoyed
Oliver 2015

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”