Waters Edge Condo Fire (Mission Fire)

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Waters Edge Condo Fire (Mission Fire)

Post by Lady tehMa »

I gather it was something to do with torch=on getting away from someone?

One brother in law was drywalling in there, and another brother in law was about to bid on framing for 3 units . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
Display Guy

Re: Fire in Lower mission?

Post by Display Guy »

Was not the contractor . Local roofing company . Well known . Won't say who on here[/quote]

Let me take a wild guess???? The local roofing company that probably wasn't doing work to code or with the right safety precautions rhymes with Badge? If I'm right I'm definitely not surprised!!!!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Condo Fire at Truswell

Post by Bpeep »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 9th, 2017, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

*removed*
Reason: response to off topic post
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Jflem1983 wrote:In my humble opinion. The fire code is to blame . Need more sprinkler heads per unit . Need more concrete and less wood in a six story structure . I'm just a layman . No expert . However that's how I see it . I know there are many 6 story wood buildings going up in town .

Once a wood frame building is finished and occupied, with the code suppression and alarms, it's no different than any other building.
Once occupied It's the incredible amount of hydrocarbons present that pose a challenge- from the flooring to the furniture- that recent fire on that high rise in Europe and the tests done on other buildings envelopes that all failed are testament to that.

It's the unfinished state that makes it most vulnerable.
Once finished they're pretty much the same.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

*removed*
Reason: off topic
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

WalterWhite wrote:*removed*

Wood is the cheapest and most flammable material used to build condos, and is a substandard choice used by cut rate developers. Vancouver requires that condos higher than four storeys be built with concrete. Kelowna... not so much.

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 9th, 2017, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to removed post
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

OldBlindDog wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:*removed*

Wood is the cheapest and most flammable material used to build condos, and is a substandard choice used by cut rate developers. Vancouver requires that condos higher than four storeys be built with concrete. Kelowna... not so much.

*removed*

I have lost count on the number of wood frame condo and apartment fires in just the Kelowna area in the last 10 years. You would think a "light" would come on with the powers to be that approve the practice, especially with FAMILY dwellings and that THERE IS AN INHERANT PROBLEM. We all read the stories behind these fires and how a fire report keeps stating the obvious........"lack of this or more of that could have prevented or slowed the speed of the fire". Same story every time but heaven forbid a contractor not make the maximum profit. Yes, concrete costs more but it would sure be what I would look for if I were in the market for a condo.*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 9th, 2017, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

193,348 views article views on the 3 firefighters sent to KGH...that's the most views I've seen on anything. :200:
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 9th, 2017, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Grandan wrote:
phasyluck wrote:I smell arson.

Castanet says:
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#201336
The neighbours, who didn't want to give their names, said they saw a workman at the construction site using a torch on what they believed to be roofing type material.

The worker was at the site all morning, and all of sudden the neighbours noticed flames getting away from him.

He apparently tried tearing away at the material to halt the spread of the flames and burned his hands in the process.

Castanet witnessed a man who appeared to be in work clothes in the back of an ambulance with his hands bandaged.

Torch on roofing material, on a day that the temps are in the high 30's sort of sounds like an accident just waiting to happen.

At the very least common sense would suggest multiple personnel with fire extinguishing capabilities at the ready.

Someone should be fired for this.

I seem to recall the last huge structure fire was at Ethel and Harvey, but can't remember if the cause was the same or not.

In any case this is far from the first time roofers have set a place ablaze, so methinks perhaps time to rethink the whole application procedure.

IMHO I think it's time to revise the building code and do away with some of the materials still being allowed in our area. For one I believe roofing materials should exclude tar shingles, and cedar shakes. With a climate like ours, and accompanying fire risks, roofs should be restricted to metal, concrete, or tile, and those who have such should get a discount on their home insurance.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
tw1nm3t3or

Post by tw1nm3t3or »

phasyluck wrote:I smell arson.

I also smell premature judgement, and it stinks.
tw1nm3t3or

Post by tw1nm3t3or »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 9th, 2017, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

This reminded me of that fire at the Mission Meadows sister dev just across from the h2o on Gordon few years back.

That, and their other building on casorso/gordon are all wood.

Sounded to me like a roofer wanting a few extra hours, in there catchng up on some work. We saw the trades doing this quite regularly evenings/weekends at mission meadows 3rd, 4th phases when we lived yer few years back.

Offtopic but for those blowing 375-400k plus on a wood frame condo should live in them first before buying. Structurally, theyre deceiving.
Some of those projects in that area have alot of high spec material in them like wood/tile flooring, stone countertops, including high ceilings, etc - all elements that look good but carry sound. You wouldnt want to live below somone in places like those.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

There's going to be many companies reviewing safety regulations on Monday morning because of this. So maybe some good will come of it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”