Waters Edge Condo Fire (Mission Fire)

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Condo Fire at Truswell

Post by WalterWhite »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 9th, 2017, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic/baiting
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 9th, 2017, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to removed post
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

It was my understanding that one of the issues with completed wood condos burning was that the eaves/roof area was not closed off so that the fire went across the top of the building. It was not that there was wood construction.

I feel empathy for the roofer. Can't imagine he/she is feeling very good right now.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

tsayta wrote:BCBC needs to be updated. There should be an order to these things. Foundation must pass then framing allowed. Framing must pass then rough plumbing with operational sprinklers must be done. No further work until this is completed. No way they should have put in cladding and windows until this protection was live. Now I guess that the BCBC is just a collection of improvements learned from previous disasters. Time to implement this one

I understand where you're coming from, but in the actual process it's simply not feasible. The process works fine, and has for decades when proper safety and building principles are adhered to. As previously stated, I'll wait until the full report on the cause and mitigating factors becomes public before jumping to any conclusions. The previous large condo fires in Kelowna have mostly been in projects under construction. Others have been attributed to barbeques improperly used on balconies - which many mutli-floored buildings have strict policies forbidding such use. Some of these incidents were more an issue of security patrols needing review. In this case, there's going to be a very hard look at whether the worker had proper safety protocols in place. Very fortunate no one was seriously injured.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Piecemaker wrote:It was my understanding that one of the issues with completed wood condos burning was that the eaves/roof area was not closed off so that the fire went across the top of the building. It was not that there was wood construction.

I feel empathy for the roofer. Can't imagine he/she is feeling very good right now.

It is unusual to not have the roof vented via eaves venting through perforated soffit material.
The areas divided by concrete block firewalls (which incidentally extend above the roof) is regulated by code to prevent the spread of fire through the roof area. If indeed fire walls were required they would have been needed to be in place long before the roof went on.
Waste not
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Piecemaker wrote:It was my understanding that one of the issues with completed wood condos burning was that the eaves/roof area was not closed off so that the fire went across the top of the building. It was not that there was wood construction.

Grandan wrote:It is unusual to not have the roof vented via eaves venting through perforated soffit material.
The areas divided by concrete block firewalls (which incidentally extend above the roof) is regulated by code to prevent the spread of fire through the roof area. If indeed fire walls were required they would have been needed to be in place long before the roof went on.

Yup. Roof areas are also regulated by square footage and fire separations are installed to segment the areas using Fireguard GWB installed to minimize the area fire can spread - all of which is moot if there are other areas that are unfinished.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

The condos on Springfield and Durnin Road burned when they were nearly complete, our house was close so we walked over to watch, a cop was taking photos of everyone that was there. I don't recall the cause, it happened late in the evening.
Waste not
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

To the residents affected, I feel so bad and hope you recover from this soon. I have been through this. On Friday the 13th 1984 fire ripped through the flamingo apartment complex in North Vancouver. It happened at night. I was the last one out. I was on the second floor asleep. I thought I was dreaming I heard screaming. For some reason I thought I was in high school and it was the bell ringing for lunch time. Fireman broke the door down and told my roommate and I to get out. Front exit was blocked by flames. I can still remember the sound of exploding glass. We had to make it out the back of the building. I escaped with only the jeans and t shirt managed tho throw on. No shoes. It was - 4 outside. The next day we were allowed back for an hour to gather what we could. There was nothing left. Still haunts me to this day. I feel your pain
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Grandan wrote:The condos on Springfield and Durnin Road burned when they were nearly complete, our house was close so we walked over to watch, a cop was taking photos of everyone that was there. I don't recall the cause, it happened late in the evening.

If memory serves correctly that was ruled arson - can't say with 100% certainty though, and can't find anything online as yet.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

WalterWhite wrote:
Grandan wrote:
If memory serves correctly that was ruled arson - can't say with 100% certainty though, and can't find anything online as yet.

It was.
Also interesting to note, that a disproportionate number of buildings that were framed by the same company were subject to arson.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Indeed
WW
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

What's next? London's Camden market catches fire?
WW
ac059315

Post by ac059315 »

As a resident at Water's Edge north, our building sustained significant damage due to the construction violations and city of Kelowna variances given for the building. My unit was completely destroyed as were 7 others on the Mission Creek side of the building. The roofer was by himself. No fire watch. No extinguisher. He got severely burned trying to put the fire out with his hands!!!
Let the legal games begin
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

ac059315 wrote:As a resident at Water's Edge north, our building sustained significant damage due to the construction violations and city of Kelowna variances given for the building. My unit was completely destroyed as were 7 others on the Mission Creek side of the building. The roofer was by himself. No fire watch. No extinguisher. He got severely burned trying to put the fire out with his hands!!!

Sorry to hear that
WW
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

ac059315 wrote:As a resident at Water's Edge north, our building sustained significant damage due to the construction violations and city of Kelowna variances given for the building. My unit was completely destroyed as were 7 others on the Mission Creek side of the building. The roofer was by himself. No fire watch. No extinguisher. He got severely burned trying to put the fire out with his hands!!!

Just wondering if you have any info to back up the claim he had no extinguisher?
Also, what sort of construction violations were there?
Sorry to hear of your loss - difficult situation for all involved.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”