Why So Many Interface Fires Lately?

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: Why So Many Interface Fires Lately?

Post by tsayta »

Glacier wrote:
tsayta wrote:In the okanagan, Kamloops, lower Thompson, the interface fires are predominantly ponderosa pine + d-fir

Yup, same goes for the Cariboo, except the ponderosa pine doesn't grow much past Clinton, although up the north Thompson it grows up to about Clearwater. The dominant species from 100 Mile to Williams Lake to almost to Quesnel is Douglas Fir. West from Williams Lake it's Douglas Fir along the Chilcotin and Fraser river valleys it is Douglas fir to past Alexis Creek. Once you get past Alexis Creek it get really interesting. Because of the strong temperature inversions at night, the lodgepole grows right down in the valley bottom where it's too cold for Doug Fir, but the Douglas Fir dominates the hillsides.

South of Williams Lake along the Fraser there aren't really any trees below 2000 ft, but it's Douglas fir up to 4000 ft on either side until it starts mixing with Ponderosa Pine south of Dog Creek.

Check out this picture taken at 3500 ft above sea level on the Chilcotin plateau. Doug Fir is the dominant species here too.

Don't forget spruce. At certain elevations you'll find spruce to be prevalent. Even pockets of cedar. At my place at canim Lake it's #1 d-fir, #2 spruce, #3 lodgepole, #4 cedar. (not including the deciduous)
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

tsayta wrote:Agree. My house was built in 2004.in 2007 when I asked for a building permit for a pool I had to agree to the new wildfire covenant. My summer house is on canim lake. I'm very concerned right now given all the south cariboo fire. I think from today forward I will govern myself differently. For example, I will be guided by the Kelowna covenant : no brush, grass, trees within a certain distance. Summer house already has a steel roof.

What was included in the wildlife covenant that you had to agree with?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Basically common sense things like keep dry brush away from home, maintain clear zone around property, avoid anything that would transfer fire to house. Driven from 03 fires and filmon inquiry
WW
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

tsayta wrote:Basically common sense things like keep dry brush away from home, maintain clear zone around property, avoid anything that would transfer fire to house. Driven from 03 fires and filmon inquiry

Sorry, I misread that and thought it said wildlife not wildfire, duh, Thanks though!
Would any of those protective measures really matter if it came down to it at your property anyway do you think?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

fall wrote:
tsayta wrote:Basically common sense things like keep dry brush away from home, maintain clear zone around property, avoid anything that would transfer fire to house. Driven from 03 fires and filmon inquiry

Sorry, I misread that and thought it said wildlife not wildfire, duh, Thanks though!
Would any of those protective measures really matter if it came down to it at your property anyway do you think?

Ya good point. Don't know. Maybe it's a liability thing. I do consider gathering a group of friends and heading to canim to set up sprinklers though
WW
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

fall wrote:

tsayta wrote:Ya good point. Don't know. Maybe it's a liability thing. I do consider gathering a group of friends and heading to canim to set up sprinklers though

It really all comes down to what rank the fire is when it lights near your property. The wildfire interface guidelines are exactly that - common sense measures to minimize the possibility of ground fire, Rank 1-2-maybe 3 and basically creating a fire break before it can reach the structure. Rank 3 and up involves trees candling and up in intensity, so the ground clearing won't make any difference. Of course, we all know how uncommon common sense is - so the guidelines being part of the building scheme for new construction via zoning requirements is a good thing. A fire like we endured in 2003 along the south slopes however eats everything in it's path as we saw - zoning requirements or not.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Agree
WW
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Exactly, as well house itself. Use metal roofing and on the exterior use products that are not easily flammable. Definitely stay the hell away from cedar products on outside of the house, or wood.
Simply put make exterior of your home fire resistant
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

GordonH wrote:

Exactly, as well house itself. Use metal roofing and on the exterior use products that are not easily flammable. Definitely stay the hell away from cedar products on outside of the house, or wood.
Simply put make exterior of your home fire resistant

Exactly
WW
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

tsayta wrote:Agree

- and yes, the city not being held responsible from a liability standpoint is the main component.

Item #3 at the bottom of page 3 addresses the liability portion:

https://www.regionaldistrict.com/media/ ... JRRLUB.pdf
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The covenant on my street says I'm not allowed to have a metal roof, so I have an asphalt shingle roof. I'd go with clay tile or something like that I had the money, but I don't so I have what I have. There are ways to ensure your house doesn't burn even with a shingle roof.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Glacier wrote:The covenant on my street says I'm not allowed to have a metal roof, so I have an asphalt shingle roof. I'd go with clay tile or something like that I had the money, but I don't so I have what I have. There are ways to ensure your house doesn't burn even with a shingle roof.

That's crazy. Must be a developers covenant.
WW
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:The covenant on my street says I'm not allowed to have a metal roof, so I have an asphalt shingle roof. I'd go with clay tile or something like that I had the money, but I don't so I have what I have. There are ways to ensure your house doesn't burn even with a shingle roof.

Sorry to hear that about your street covenant, impo I'd say screw them. This is my single biggest investment (have insurance, but if you maybe keep it from burning in first place all the better), there is metal look alike asphalt shingle roofing.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

As expected, a long term build up of fuel due partly to suppression is part of the issue:

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/201404 ... n-is-worse
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote:Sorry to hear that about your street covenant, impo I'd say screw them. This is my single biggest investment (have insurance, but if you maybe keep it from burning in first place all the better), there is metal look alike asphalt shingle roofing.

Dude, even a metal roof would be really tough. I have a hip roof, so the snow would slide off all sides, and my walkway to my front door would be in the line of fire. Insurance would definitely not like the lawsuits coming my way as people get injured from the sliding snow.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”