Campfire ban

Wildfire 3

Re: Campfire ban

Post by Wildfire 3 »

gsc wrote:Ours is a hard plastic one with back pack straps looks a bit diffrent then that but same idea :) . its always grrat to be fully prepared when out in the forest.

Sounds like mine from a couple seasons back...does yours leak too?

Deployed - Destroyed - Enjoyed
Oliver 2015
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Wildfire 3 wrote:
gsc wrote:Ours is a hard plastic one with back pack straps looks a bit diffrent then that but same idea :) . its always grrat to be fully prepared when out in the forest.

Sounds like mine from a couple seasons back...does yours leak too?

Nope but it is new. If it is leaking where you thred the hose on try useing the pink teflon tape. Its thicker then the white and works 100 times better.
Wildfire 3

Post by Wildfire 3 »

gsc wrote:Nope but it is new. If it is leaking where you thred the hose on try useing the pink teflon tape. Its thicker then the white and works 100 times better.

I'll have to remember that, thanks for the tip!
Deployed - Destroyed - Enjoyed
Oliver 2015
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Great news
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

Symbonite wrote:Finally!! should be automatic ban June21 to Sept 21 for all Campfires in BC

Oh BS, the bans should be implemented when it is dry and the temperatures start rising, AND it would be helpful if they implemented a 'campfire license', where you have to go through some training and earn your license before you are ever allowed to have a fire, there are far too many idiots out in the woods that have no clue or just don't care what they are doing out there.

And for gawds sake increase the fines substantially...Throw a cigarette butt? Take away their vehicle for good, suspend license for 1 year and do not allow ICBC insurance for 1 year. If they don't drive and threw butt while walking - fine them 50,000. PLUS the costs to extinguish any fires caused! Start a campfire while there is a ban or without your 'campfire license'? 100,000 fine PLUS the costs to extinguish any fire caused! Tourists wanting a campfire? No, not unless you have your campfire license or you are sitting in a Provincial campground with a community fire-pit that is monitored by the hosts of that campground.

An automatic fire ban from June 21 to Sept 21 is ridiculous, what if it is 39 degrees and hot in Kelowna but it is 17 degrees and cool in the kootenays - no reason to restrict the kootenay folks when the risk isn't there. We need to hit people where it hurts...and that is their wallet and their freedom of driving. The fines above might sound ridiculous but THAT is what it is going to take to stop the idiots from behaving the way they have been for so long.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

well said davis123 - perfect proposal
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

davis123 wrote:The fines above might sound ridiculous but THAT is what it is going to take to stop the idiots from behaving the way they have been for so long.

No offense to your overall sentiment (with which I largely agree) but nothing stops idiots; there's no such thing as idiot-proof. The death penalty doesn't even stop idiots. Very, very rarely do people commit a crime if they think they'll get caught. If they think they won't get caught, the punishment doesn't matter.

Personally, once an area comes under a campfire ban, I'd also ban motorized vehicles from the back country of the same area.
Your bias suits you.
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

Woodenhead wrote:No offense to your overall sentiment (with which I largely agree) but nothing stops idiots; there's no such thing as idiot-proof. The death penalty doesn't even stop idiots. Very, very rarely do people commit a crime if they think they'll get caught. If they think they won't get caught, the punishment doesn't matter.

Personally, once an area comes under a campfire ban, I'd also ban motorized vehicles from the back country of the same area.

True enough Woodenhead, but I would think the 100,000$ fine/loss of vehicle/loss of license and insurance is going to deter A LOT more than the piddly fines they give out now. What deterrent is there now? A 350$ fine? Get 10 buddies together, have a fire, split the fine = 35$ each, woopty doo.

We would need A LOT of gates to lock down the back country, and is that fair to the people who are hiking, fishing or whatever? I don't think so.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Yeah. (I didn't say increased fines wouldn't help.)
davis123 wrote:We would need A LOT of gates to lock down the back country, and is that fair to the people who are hiking, fishing or whatever? I don't think so.

If you can't hike/bike/horseback there from the main road, you're SOL, just like responsible campers (campfires) are SOL.

Good luck catching an idiot/pyro in the back country, either way - I know it happens, but not often. :/ I suppose that, eventually, tech will be able to help monitor these things - autonomous drones patrolling the back country! heh :up:
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”