Your "grab and go" bags

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Your "grab and go" bags

Post by Queen K »

Who is in an interface zone and do you have "grab and go bags"?

I recall a CBC radio show where people were being interviewed from Fort Mac about what funny thing they grabbed under stress and pressure.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Your "grab and go" bags

Post by pbear »

We have our grab and go bags packed and ready. We were evacuated twice in 2003 and have kept the bags ready ever since. Our financial records are there as well.
Last time I grabbed art I had created and family photos. I won't next time. Most of my family has copies of the photos that I can easily copy and the artwork took so much room. We were so unsettled and I worried about leaving everything in the car.
My fingers and toes are crossed that we will have a safe fire season.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
14Karma

Post by 14Karma »

I keep a list of items to grab in my metal kitchen cannister. Only very important items are listed.
The first time we were evacuated it was hilarious what we took....20 lb bag of dog food for a 5 lb dog, hubby just grabbed
clothes - most were winter ones! But, we forgot the most important items like medication, insurances, irreplaceable heirlooms etc. Last time we were evacuated my hubby called me as he was making his way home and it was assuring to be able to remind him to look in the cannister for the list and start collecting. As he was on the phone calling out the items, I was telling him which closet/cabinet/drawer to go into to find the item..... Worked real slick!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#201483

This is what I'm talking about, the entire Williams Lake is on alert. How incredibly disasterous would that be if they needed to go?

Right now there are people trying to decide what they would pack and not bother with. I'll bet they don't have a castanet forum up there to talk to each other either. Which would be very isolating.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

My grab and go kit includes a self contained fully equipped and stocked 30' Arctic Fox, already attached to the truck.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

First thing I grabbed when I was evacuated was a case of beer. Then I went back inside and grabbed my passport. Then my computer drives. Kinda went from there.
Your bias suits you.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Right, the HDs, all the photos and data of our lives stored in those, it's hard to imagine letting it all go.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Queen K wrote:Right, the HDs, all the photos and data of our lives stored in those, it's hard to imagine letting it all go.

Yep. I should've mentioned that the drives were all external backups - very quick & easy to grab in a hurry.

But the first thing we all did after we had evacuated to another location? Crack a beer. Never underestimate the power of beer. :130: :up:
Your bias suits you.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Guns, lots of guns.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

I was thinking about this the other day too. In 2003, I remember driving around with everything in the trunk of my car two weeks after we were let back in because I was afraid we'd get evacuated again. So now I live in the 2003 fire zone and everything has already been burned. I'm guessing there's pretty much zero chance of it happening again in my neighbourhood, right? And yet I feel like I need to at least make a list of what to take.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

As an aside, my mom rented a storage unit and had my step dad hauling stuff (photos etc) there every day. And still, I'm still sad that she didn't take our baby movies from the 1960's, nor her wedding dress.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Okay, this thread wasn't considered hot no pun intended, but now that we know most of Lake Country is under fire watch, evac notice and orders, who got their "Grab and Go" bags ready?

Or thought out?

Did you know that when the evacuees came in from 100 Mile, they had one change of clothes with them? Would you have that much?
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Oh yeah - I got my undies packed ! At about 5:30 pm when I got home tonight & all hell was breaking loose here in OK Centre with all the police, firetrucks, etc. we started packing. I think we're pretty loaded up OK if we have to go. But yes - someone else was saying they panic when it happens and yes to a degree I started throwing stuff that really - do I need to survive ? We're on evac alert right now & I think we're ok if it happens.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”