Waters Edge Condo Fire (Mission Fire)

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Condo Fire at Truswell

Post by Bsuds »

ac059315 wrote:As a resident at Water's Edge north, our building sustained significant damage due to the construction violations and city of Kelowna variances given for the building. My unit was completely destroyed as were 7 others on the Mission Creek side of the building. The roofer was by himself. No fire watch. No extinguisher. He got severely burned trying to put the fire out with his hands!!!
Let the legal games begin

Sorry for your loss. I sure hope in the end analysis you get fully compensated.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Queller
Board Meister

Post by Queller »

Response Info...

The minimum staffing level of the Kelowna Fire Department is 19 firefighters (verified by calling the Main Fire Station), the National Fire Protection Association Standard 1710, that most Cities use as a guideline, states that the MINIMUM initial response for a 3 to 7 storey apartment building (i.e. Water's Edge, Legacy) is 27 firefighters, more if aerial ladder trucks are used. The MINIMUM initial response for High-Rise apartments (higher than 75 feet) is 42 firefighters. This is supposed to be the minimum on-duty staffing, and does not include firefighters (paid or volunteer) called in from home to help out as an emergency progresses. Clearly, the Kelowna Fire Department staffing levels do not meet the NFPA minimum recommended for any sort of apartment or commercial building. This also says nothing to the fact if another emergency occurs while the first one is ongoing!

The need for more firefighters in Kelowna has been confirmed through various reviews, plans, studies, etc., over the last number of years, but somehow City Council always comes up with a reason to delay hiring more firefighters; budgetary constraints, road delays, numerous excuses, etc. For too long Kelowna Firefighters have tried to do too much with too few resources, and it is past time that the City, Mayor, and Council provide the staffing levels they need.

This fire should certainly be a wake-up call for Kelowna. Would more firefighters in the initial response have reduced damage at the Truswell Road condo fires, and reduced the likelihood of injuries? Maybe. Who knows for sure? They certainly couldn't have hurt, though.

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/AboutT ... on.pdf.pdf
Last edited by Queller on Jul 10th, 2017, 1:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

+1. And definitely better than wasting money on the new traffic circle at sunshine market
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Queller wrote:Response Info...

The minimum staffing level of the Kelowna Fire Department is 19 firefighters (verified by calling the Main Fire Station), the National Fire Protection Association Standard 1710, that most Cities use as a guideline, states that the MINIMUM initial response for a 3 to 7 storey apartment building (i.e. Water's Edge, Legacy) is 27 *bleep*, more if aerial ladder trucks are used. The MINIMUM initial response for High-Rise apartments (higher than 75 feet) is 42 *bleep*. This is supposed to be the minimum on-duty staffing, and does not include *bleep* (paid or volunteer) called in from home to help out as an emergency progresses. Clearly, the Kelowna Fire Department staffing levels do not meet the NFPA minimum recommended for any sort of apartment or commercial building. This also says nothing to the fact if another emergency occurs while the first one is ongoing!

The need for more *bleep* in Kelowna has been confirmed through various reviews, plans, studies, etc., over the last number of years, but somehow City Council always comes up with a reason to delay hiring more *bleep*; budgetary constraints, road delays, numerous excuses, etc. For too long Kelowna Firefighters have tried to do too much with too few resources, and it is past time that the City, Mayor, and Council provide the staffing levels they need.

Would more firefighters in the initial response have reduced damage at the Truswell Road condo fires, and reduced the likelihood of injuries? Maybe. Who knows for sure? They certainly couldn't have hurt, though.

If I'm not mistaken, each time a review of both KFD & RCMP the same recommendation is named. Both need more people by X amount, CoK hires maybe half that is recommended (if that).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

The scan bc north Okanagan fire scanner is on right now. You can hear the FF battling the Vernon apartment fire. Fascinating listening. Hard work
WW
Display Guy

Post by Display Guy »

ac059315 wrote:As a resident at Water's Edge north, our building sustained significant damage due to the construction violations and city of Kelowna variances given for the building. My unit was completely destroyed as were 7 others on the Mission Creek side of the building. The roofer was by himself. No fire watch. No extinguisher. He got severely burned trying to put the fire out with his hands!!!
Let the legal games begin

I'm really curious what the City of Kelowna Variances were? I'm guessing setback was one of them?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Hope not. Because that would just be dumb
WW
Queller
Board Meister

Post by Queller »

The minimum staffing level of the Kelowna Fire Department is 19 firefighters (verified by calling the Main Fire Station), the National Fire Protection Association Standard 1710, that most Cities use as a guideline, states that the MINIMUM initial response for a 3 to 7 storey apartment building (i.e. Water's Edge, Legacy) is 27 firefighters, more if aerial ladder trucks are used. The MINIMUM initial response for High-Rise apartments (higher than 75 feet) is 42 firefighters. This is supposed to be the minimum on-duty staffing, and does not include firefighters (paid or volunteer) called in from home to help out as an emergency progresses. Clearly, the Kelowna Fire Department staffing levels do not meet the NFPA minimum recommended for any sort of apartment or commercial building. This also says nothing to the fact if another emergency occurs while the first one is ongoing!

The need for more firefighters in Kelowna has been confirmed through various reviews, plans, studies, etc., over the last number of years, but somehow City Council always comes up with a reason to delay hiring more firefighters; budgetary constraints, road delays, numerous excuses, etc. For too long Kelowna Firefighters have tried to do too much with too few resources, and it is past time that the City, Mayor, and Council provide the staffing levels they need.

This fire should certainly be a wake-up call for Kelowna. Would more firefighters in the initial response have reduced damage at the Truswell Road condo fires, and reduced the likelihood of injuries? Maybe. Who knows for sure? They certainly couldn't have hurt, though.

The Kelowna Fire Department has not hired any firefighters in several years, not since around 2009. This despite significant growth in the City and repeated requests from Fire Chief(s) for more staff. The last Fire Chief asked for 12 new firefighter positions for 2017. It was voted down by City Council. Believe Basran was the deciding vote against the hiring on a split council...
Last edited by Queller on Jul 11th, 2017, 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Queller
Board Meister

Post by Queller »

GordonH wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, each time a review of both KFD & RCMP the same recommendation is named. Both need more people by X amount, CoK hires maybe half that is recommended (if that).

Hmm, think only the RCMP have received new staff in Kelowna in recent years. It's been at least 8+ years since KFD hired firefighters for any new positions.

Maybe next time KFD will get some more staff? Who knows...
carver

Post by carver »

I cannot understand for the life of me why fires of this nature happen so frequently. Roofers with torches have caused some of the biggest condo fires, yet I have yet to hear of even once where they have had a fire extinguisher on site. Workplace BC should insist that there ALWAYS be two persons doing the job and ALWAYS a fire extinguisher handy. Seems a no-brainer to me
jjanyday

Truswell condo blaze

Post by jjanyday »

Kudos to this guy for manning up and facing the press. However...

The worker states that he did everything in his power and it wasn't negligence, and yet witnesses state that not only did he not use a fire extinguisher, HE DIDN'T EVEN HAVE ONE ON HAND.That's negligence right there.

As a ticketed professional, I get choked at these clowns who bring a bad name to torch-on roofing. I've been installing torch-on for at least 15 years, and have needed to discharge an extinguisher only once, but when you need it, it's there. There's a reason you are required to keep fire supression on the roof.

This worker is screwed. I'm not sure if his company has fire insurance, but when you don't have fire supression on board, any insurance will likely be forfeited anyway. Not to mention the psychological trauma he's going to be dealing with forever. But any pity I can muster for him is overshadowed by the pity I have for the displaced neighbors.

Please do your homework before hiring a company to do torch work. Ask to see their proof of insurance, and make sure they have fire extinguishers on hand. The lowest bid can cost a lot more in the long run.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Re: Truswell condo blaze

Post by motokelowna1 »

Not casting dispersion on the man but too me there must be a better way to construct. Fire, paper, dry wood composite with a glue actuator OH yes I got it concrete , steel frame and metal roofing .
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Queller wrote:

The Kelowna Fire Department has not hired any firefighters in several years, not since around 2009. This despite significant growth in the City and repeated requests from Fire Chief(s) for more staff. The last Fire Chief asked for 12 new firefighter positions for 2017. It was voted down by City Council. Believe Basran was the deciding vote against the hiring on a split council...

Nothing for fire safety . We need the money for tourism kelowna new waterfront office
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

jjanyday wrote:Kudos to this guy for manning up and facing the press. However...

The worker states that he did everything in his power and it wasn't negligence, and yet witnesses state that not only did he not use a fire extinguisher, HE DIDN'T EVEN HAVE ONE ON HAND.That's negligence right there.

As a ticketed professional, I get choked at these clowns who bring a bad name to torch-on roofing. I've been installing torch-on for at least 15 years, and have needed to discharge an extinguisher only once, but when you need it, it's there. There's a reason you are required to keep fire supression on the roof.

This worker is screwed. I'm not sure if his company has fire insurance, but when you don't have fire supression on board, any insurance will likely be forfeited anyway. Not to mention the psychological trauma he's going to be dealing with forever. But any pity I can muster for him is overshadowed by the pity I have for the displaced neighbors.

Please do your homework before hiring a company to do torch work. Ask to see their proof of insurance, and make sure they have fire extinguishers on hand. The lowest bid can cost a lot more in the long run.

Very well put. Anyone that uses a open torch on flammable materials in the weather we are having is a COMPLETE IDIOT. NO fire extinguishers is a NO NO if that is true. Carelessness is what comes to my mind. I can see him being sued big time. He will be left with nothing.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I dont know whether there was a fire extinguisher or not, maybe it was 30 steps away , and he could not reach it. But I do wonder, if he was working alone... If so...why?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”