Poor reporting

3068rocky

Poor reporting

Post by 3068rocky »

I feel we have having a huge event in BC right now. But the reporting is poor at best. So far Cache creek, 100 mile house and many other communities have been evacuated. We like many other people here have family all over BC. It should be top of the news. I feel we had more news about Fort Mac than we have about our own province. Many of the reports are just repeats of the earlier news in the day.
Bubalouie
Guru

Re: Poor reporting

Post by Bubalouie »

Gee I don't know, been watching Global and it's all over it.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

3068rocky wrote:I feel we have having a huge event in BC right now. But the reporting is poor at best. So far Cache creek, 100 mile house and many other communities have been evacuated. We like many other people here have family all over BC. It should be top of the news. I feel we had more news about Fort Mac than we have about our own province. Many of the reports are just repeats of the earlier news in the day.

Its the lead story on every media I consume....Not sure what you are talking about.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

When Kelowna fire was knee deep around us the Evacuations and Alerts came from one place, Firehall #1. Imagine trying to give out information on all the fires if they don't have the team that Kelowna had. I believe it consisted of Municipal/Regional/honchos and all Firefighters came under the command of Gerry. We owe them a life time of gratitude and all we can do is hope and pray that all areas under seize now have people like that in their areas. Information coming from 25 and more directions would be so confusing and given the fact that the public more and more does as it pleases doesn't help.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I don't feel the reporting is poor at all.

Even Facebook has numerous sites which report so much more than Globalnews. In fact, you can be consumed by the stories coming from credible outlets and personal posts of fires consuming the forests if you sit there long enough, like I did today.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
3068rocky

Post by 3068rocky »

I guess it's just me then. Hhhmmm I still feel like I'm not getting the information. I kinda felt bombarded by Fort Mac and Kelowna. But this seems minimal. Oh well.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I seem to get more up to date info from my Family on Facebook. They are in the Lac La Hache area and their info is much better than the Media. If appears that Global has put out erroneous info more than once.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Not only Global, other media sources as well, a reminder to them all, they should check their facts first.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

As I listen to Global it appears to me they are trying to duplicate Kelowna coverage and that ain't going to happen because of how the people at Firehall #1 worked so well together. The fellow doing alerts and evacuation released maps and the streets that were affected. There was no doubt in any ones mind on who was supposed to go or when to go. The media also listed and the list never changed on what to take. I think the challenge up north is how the culture lives by its own means and ways. We in Kelowna did not have too many logging roads that we could use to go around the traffic jams and the siren vehicles used many roads other than 97 to get to where they are going. We too were antsy after that long weekend to how many homes were lost and I remember (I think it was a Matuzzi and a Johnson) who went up in a helicopter to take a video and had to deliver the message of lost homes. Can't do that this time too much smoke and far too much land to coordinate land registry and whom owns the land from there to there. Media should be using its voice to make a difference in how people are responding to this crisis and maybe just maybe using the Kelowna experience against what fire personnel are up against this time will make some think.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

I haven't had any issues with the reporting - however I think whether you're dirrectlty affected or just looking for info makes a difference. Despite the doom and gloom outlook of our fire season at this point in time, at least the odd media reports try to bring a moment of brevity to the situation:

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/201536 ... ts-spirits

ph.jpg

Pink horse lifts spirits
The Canadian Press - Jul 11, 2017 / 11:59 am | Story: 201536

Photo: Contributed
It's definitely a horse of a different colour.

Pictures of Rosy, a white-and-brown mare mistakenly painted neon pink by a teen in the British Columbia Interior, are providing some welcome levity to residents dealing with wildfires.

Rosy ended up pink thanks to a problem pretty much every parent can identify with — a miscommunication between a mom and her 15-year-old son.

Jacob Sharkey said his mother asked him to paint their phone number on 19-year-old Rosy, who roams the family's hobby farm in Likely, B.C., along with another horse. The idea was that if flames reached the property and Rosy needed to be released, the number could lead to her return.

But Jacob missed the phone number part.

"I thought she told me to just spray paint the entire horse to make it visible, so that way, if we had to let them go, people could find them," he recalled in an interview Tuesday.

It took about 20 minutes for Jacob to coat Rosy, ears to tail, in a layer of non-toxic spray paint.

"Just bright pink. Bright. Oh my God."
3068rocky

Post by 3068rocky »

Bubalouie wrote:Gee I don't know, been watching Global and it's all over it.

I just watched Global noon news. It's not all over it. Ted ternecki still standing outside 100 mile house. Evacuees still going to Prince George. Ride through hell was on last nights news. Hmmm still poor reporting. Oh I did see how the one first nations communities is not leaving their land. That's new. There are 200 plus fires.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

I watched it at 6 last night , pretty the whole news cast was about the fire(s).
If you don't think it's being given enough coverage, contact them OR look elsewhere, all kinds of resources everywhere as everyone on here has said
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

If you want more coverage, seek out multiple news outlets / sources, rather than leaving it to one single channel.
Your bias suits you.
3068rocky

Post by 3068rocky »

Ok tonight's news was good. Much better. IMHO.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”