RCMP family loses home

Tradesman
Fledgling

RCMP family loses home

Post by Tradesman »

So The Family of 5 is out of a house and they set up a go fund me page but I don't really understand why they need 20k?
the story doesn't say they have no insurance ? does it? being an RCMP would come with a benefits package that I would guess would help?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#201568

I'm not taking a shot at RCMPs I have a few RCMP friends. My thought is why would they need 20k?
I would rather see a story that shows someone who had no insurance who needs help and get more bang for the GFM donations buck$

maybe i missed something?
:)
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: RCMP family loses home

Post by GordonH »

^^^ everyone who has or will lose their home to wildfire or just a fire, is in the same boat. No different just because of their job, it all rough & hard.
The truly only difference is are they insured or not, if not that is extremely rough. Under the circumstances everyone deserves compassion for what they have lost.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Tradesman
Fledgling

Post by Tradesman »

I agree everyone needs compassion it a situation like this. But some need funding too and some do not and in this story its not that clear is it?
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Agreed, Tradesman.

Scammers also like to use GoFundMe - so anything popping up there should be fully verified by/from an outside source, before supporting.
Your bias suits you.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Woodenhead wrote:Agreed, Tradesman.

Scammers also like to use GoFundMe - so anything popping up there should be fully verified by/from an outside source, before supporting.

Compassion does not equal gullibility, at least not in my book.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Tradesman
Fledgling

Post by Tradesman »

UPDATE:
They stopped accepting donations! Well good to see someone with a conscience or a lawyer stepped up to the plate to make sure the right thing gets done.

"No Longer Accepting Donations"
$11,445 of $20k goal

I wonder what they will do with the 11k? maybe help people who lost their homes and don't have insurance? that would be compassionate in my opinion and likely the right thing to do.?
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Tradesman wrote:UPDATE:
They stopped accepting donations! Well good to see someone with a conscience or a lawyer stepped up to the plate to make sure the right thing gets done.

"No Longer Accepting Donations"
$11,445 of $20k goal

I wonder what they will do with the 11k? maybe help people who lost their homes and don't have insurance? that would be compassionate in my opinion and likely the right thing to do.?

I get what your saying but someone that doesn't have home insurance.........I don't get it and have a hard time wanting to help...
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I haven't read anywhere that they weren't insured, so I can't speculate that this money is for uninsured losses. The RCMP doesn't provide benefits extending towards home insurance either. From any of my RCMP friends I've heard here can be various discounts (from insurance to cell phone plans) but the organisation itself doesn't provide it.

In the short term $20k can help to put a roof over their heads. Most of these evacuees have a home to return to once the hazard decreases. Not this poor family. Insurance will eventually help to replace what they lost. But that doesn't mean that expenses won't pile in in the mean time.

To me $20k sounds like a lot though.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

30 homes in boston flats are toast . only one wasnt touched . 2 in 108 mile . havnt heard from other areas yet
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Very interesting
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Tradesman
Fledgling

Post by Tradesman »

Always Sunny wrote:I
In the short term $20k can help to put a roof over their heads. Most of these evacuees have a home to return to once the hazard decreases. Not this poor family. Insurance will eventually help to replace what they lost. But that doesn't mean that expenses won't pile in in the mean time.

To me $20k sounds like a lot though.

My home insurance covers my family and puts a roof over our heads. When I was put of my home I had no expenses that weren't covered by Insurance. They paid for a condo until my house was completely restored
Tradesman
Fledgling

Post by Tradesman »

vegas1500 wrote:I get what your saying but someone that doesn't have home insurance.........I don't get it and have a hard time wanting to help...

I agree but its a but deeper than just no insurance. Obviously if you have no insurance because your to cheap or stupid to pay for it.
I can see if you have a mobile home, are a single parent and times are tough just skipping home insurance for a few months until things get better could be a hard reality for some. I would also guess a lot of younger renters don't buy tenants insurance.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”