Nighthawk Road fire

fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Nighthawk Road fire

Post by fall »

Makes things a little more complicated if it was kids/ teens as alleged and hold them accountable.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Quiet night last night on Hare Road. Good news so far for those who were evacuated from Hare Road yesterday - fire did not reach any homes last night at the south end of Hare Road. Air action stopped the fire, they continued dropping retardant and water right up to 9 pm.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

They certainly nailed that fire very hard from the air right up until dark.
I was kind of surprised that many assets were available right now.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

fall wrote:Makes things a little more complicated if it was kids/ teens as alleged and hold them accountable.

Then I guess the parents need to be held accountable. The courts have done this before.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Yes very interesting. I guess notwithstanding all of the big fires up north, they are still holding assets in reserve for something like this
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

TreeGuy wrote:Then I guess the parents need to be held accountable. The courts have done this before.

You cant hold the parents accountable.
Have had several kids playing with fire in my area over the years, they scare me the most where I am.
Edited: Hold the parents accountable easily.
Last edited by fall on Jul 16th, 2017, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

tsayta wrote:Yes very interesting. I guess notwithstanding all of the big fires up north, they are still holding assets in reserve for something like this

Or diverted some assets away from the north.
Not sure if they have some of the tankers in Penticton sitting on standby knowing its just a matter of when for this area.
I am sure the float planes were working up north.
At any rate, it was an impressive attack.
Sorry to the ones who lost their home because of some dumb *bleep* kids. (allegedly)
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

fall wrote:You cant hold the parents accountable.
Have had several kids playing with fire in my area over the years, they scare me the most where I am.

Are you sure about that?

http://www.leaguelaw.com/posts/parental-liability/

In one case several teens went joyriding in 1993 before setting a car on fire on school grounds. The fire ended up causing $3 million dollars worth of damage. The court of appeal held the teens’ parents responsible. More recently, a student played a prank that unintentionally caused the fire sprinklers to go off in his school. While this incident was far more of an accident than the previous cases mentioned, the incident caused nearly $50,000 in damage and the parents were ultimately responsible for the clean up costs.
While the courts have recognized that the effect of this legislation is draconian and can place an enormous burden on parents who may be blameless themselves, this remains the law in BC. If you have children, this is just one more reason to make sure you have sufficient home or rental insurance to make sure your family isn’t devastated
Part 2 — Parent's Liability and Bringing an Action

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/00_01045_01#section3

Parent's liability
3 Subject to section 6 and Part 3, if a child intentionally takes, damages or destroys property of another person, a parent of the child is liable for the loss of or damage to the property experienced as a result by an owner and by a person legally entitled to possession of the property.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Will see with this once it all comes out, lets hope so but I am doubtful.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Fire flare up south end of Nighthawk, crews moving around to get this.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Perhaps we should wait for word on the actual cause before we blame teens and argue whether or not their parents can be sued. It is far more likely to have started from a discarded cigarette butt.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Piecemaker wrote:Perhaps we should wait for word on the actual cause before we blame teens and argue whether or not their parents can be sued. It is far more likely to have started from a discarded cigarette butt.

Not according to a witness, but anyway, yeah.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Piecemaker wrote:Perhaps we should wait for word on the actual cause before we blame teens and argue whether or not their parents can be sued. It is far more likely to have started from a discarded cigarette butt.

It has been stated from behind the fire line that it is likely from a campfire on the beach. But I agree, we are getting ahead of ourselves on laying any blame.

Like everyone I find it beyond frustrating that some of these fires are human caused and that their actions are impacting other people's lives so dramatically.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

If there was a campfire on the beach, it doesn't mean it was made by teens. Perhaps someone tossed a cigarette butt into an old campfire pit...
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Back to topic, the speculation is adding nothing to this topic.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”