Looters? Are you kidding!!!

my5cents
Guru

Re: Looters? Are you kidding!!!

Post by my5cents »

Merry wrote:The Government should increase the penalty for looting, and then "throw the book" at the ones they catch.

Yes, but you know what happens, delay after delay. By the time the jerk goes to trial, the worst of the horrendous feeling has eased, and everyone just wants it over. The home owners have likely attended court and prosecutor's interviews several times, and now are back to work and don't want to loose another days wages. (you see the victims actually WORK for the money that bought their property that was stolen)

We've got a lot of people just sitting around evacuation centres right this minute, I'm sure they wouldn't mind forming a jury to adjudicate the incident right now. Perhaps later today ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

my5cents wrote:We've got a lot of people just sitting around evacuation centres right this minute, I'm sure they wouldn't mind forming a jury to adjudicate the incident right now. Perhaps later today ?

Now THERE'S an idea worth considering.

Yes, speedy trials for looters, that have the added advantage of not clogging up the regular system. That is definitely a good idea!
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

You know I hate this when it sounds heavy handed to the good guys, but lenient on the bad guys...
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/202130 ... -evac-zone
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

tsayta wrote:You know I hate this when it sounds heavy handed to the good guys, but lenient on the bad guys...
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/202130 ... -evac-zone

Knowing our courts and RCMP, he will be charged and fined and be told he's lucky he's not going to jail.

Do RCMP wonder why they don't get the respect they think they deserve from the general public ? A little common sense goes a long way. Wait a minute, did I use common sense and RCMP in the same sentence !
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

I think there is a waaaaaay easier way to deal with looters if they're caught. Just announce to all residents of the neighbourhood where the looter was caught that there will be a public meeting with him on their street at say, 2 pm tomorrow. Let the police drop him off and quickly leave. Poof - problem solved!

Yeah yeah I know - according to some vigilante justice doesn't solve anything right ? Well mmmmmm...maybe it would. The courts aren't by giving them slaps on the wrists so maybe they need slaps of a different kind. Just saying.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Tootsie wrote:I think there is a waaaaaay easier way to deal with looters if they're caught. Just announce to all residents of the neighbourhood where the looter was caught that there will be a public meeting with him on their street at say, 2 pm tomorrow. Let the police drop him off and quickly leave. Poof - problem solved!

Yeah yeah I know - according to some vigilante justice doesn't solve anything right ? Well mmmmmm...maybe it would. The courts aren't by giving them slaps on the wrists so maybe they need slaps of a different kind. Just saying.

WW
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

There would certainly be deaths result from this kind of thing. And revenge killings by the dead thief's friends and family. I'm much more in favour of bringing back the lash and having the lash administered in public. Late Friday afternoon, near the high schools, with mandatory attendance before dismissal for the weekend.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Anyone for stoning?
WW
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Tootsie wrote:I think there is a waaaaaay easier way to deal with looters if they're caught. Just announce to all residents of the neighbourhood where the looter was caught that there will be a public meeting with him on their street at say, 2 pm tomorrow. Let the police drop him off and quickly leave. Poof - problem solved!

the cops could say do what ever you want but dont kill him
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Well, doesn't this looting problem link with another existing problem ? Non-looting theft and burglary ?

How many "honest" "law abiding" citizens don't think twice about buying something that might be stolen property, when approached by someone with a "deal" on a TV, or a generator or..........

Most of these low lifes don't steal property for their use. They steal to sell for cash. In any event, most stolen property is eventually sold to the "law abiding" citizen.

We have a very rudimentary police program in the Okanagan. The larger centre have the opportunity to do some proactive police work, but generally in the winter when their policing numbers aren't taken up with summer duties, involving policing the general public and tourists and their summer activities, such as Parks and Parties etc.

Getting a handle on crime can't effectively be done on a piece meal basis. The cop in the patrol car, going from call to call, doesn't have the time or resources to make a reliable dent in the crime picture.

Yes, on occasion something will fall into their hands and something will come of it, but a dedicated full time proactive unit, is needed to really get a handle on any type of organized B&E / Theft group. Small detachments don't have the resources at any time in the year and the large ones, only in the winter.

Also it's property crime, it is the lowest on the totem pole.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

So I am not exactly sure where to post this, but IMO it is as close to looting as you can get.

We were in Vernon yesterday afternoon and decided to go to A&W by Superstore.
As we are pulling into the parking lot, we noticed 2 guys sitting on the side of the road, in the parking lot, with a sign.
It says (As close as I can remember) - "Evacuated from Williams Lake - any donations will help".

BUT - I have seen these 2 in Vernon for the last couple of years with various signs asking for money.

Be aware in Vernon and other places also - there are various levels of druggie scum, that want to take advantage of any and all situations.

I gave them nothing.
If you see them or those like them I hope you will pass them by also.

When I do donations in these situations it is to Red Cross, or similar recognized reputable charity.
On the side of the street with a cardboard sign - I think not.

I would have reported them - but didn't really know who to call.
RCMP is overwhelmed at the moment taking care of the fire areas, and doubt it would be a high priority at this point.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
BenDraw

Post by BenDraw »

gman313 wrote:pretty common in most fires unfortunately

time to bring back stoning

I'd say go back to the good old days where thieves get a good chop from a dull cleaver to their wrists if caught red handed.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

BenDraw wrote:I'd say go back to the good old days where thieves get a good chop from a dull cleaver to their wrists if caught red handed.

The Taliban do that. :up:
Your bias suits you.
BenDraw

Post by BenDraw »

Woodenhead wrote:
BenDraw wrote:I'd say go back to the good old days where thieves get a good chop from a dull cleaver to their wrists if caught red handed.

The Taliban do that. :up:

It's actually a Islam thing as a whole under Sharia law. The Romans and Medieval Europe also did that and the actual law stems from the Babylonian code of laws "Code of Hammurabi." :up:

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fustuarium
https://strangeremains.com/2014/04/06/a-criminals-relic-the-macabre-history-of-severed-hands/
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Post by BigBearBruno »

Things have seriously gotten to the point where vigilante justice is the only justice these types of people will get. Criminals are getting slaps on the wrist left and right now. It doesn't help either that there are so many bleeding hearts out there who sob for criminals when they lie and make up a "sad story" as to why they ended up as a criminal. Or worst of all, they cry "mental issues" and go scot free.
Just called me Triple B.
Bigger, Badder, Better than you!

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”