Declare fireban when risk is high

dle
Lord of the Board

Re: Declare fireban when risk is high

Post by dle »

johnny24 wrote:
dle wrote:And what must add to that frustration is knowing that fire was human-caused...as a lot of them are...so yep, I'm on board with at least an early campfire ban too except a lot of the fires are being lit DURING the campfire ban by bozos so I don't think it would do much good. Most campers are responsible and use their gas ring firepits when the season is very dry - some light one without consideration for the conditions including wind and how far an ember flies and say "oh, it will be fine, I'll watch it"....some people think it's just fine to go 4x4'ing in the bush during high fire season, some flick butts out their car windows without a second thought (not that they probably ever had a first thought)....

I wish we could just put the planes up and drop retardant in areas where the forest fuels are in abundance BEFORE fire season - don't know how that would work but maybe it would put up a few temporary guards here and there to prevent huge spreads - I don't know. Be nice to do something pro-active instead of re-active I guess is what I'm thinking.

So you support a ban where the innocent are punished for the actions of the guilty?

Yes I do in view of the fact that these days the propane fires are everywhere and can be used during the ban. The bad apples always ruin the barrel for the rest it seems and the fires are just too destructive so any steps that can be taken to lessen the chance of one starting should be taken pre-emptively.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Couldn't agree with you more...a fire ring is a much safer option.

We have posted speed limits on our streets and highways. Those that ignore those signs by speeding and causing MVAs are punished via fines, loss of points, prohibitions from driving, etc

So, a fireban imposed earlier in the year is no different. Just consider it in the same way you would traffic signs.

I am pleased to say that in Kamloops and area people are demanding answers as to why ban not declared until July 7. Massive Fires were being fought May 24

Perhaps if we keep the pressure on this concern will be dealt with. Winter comes, memories fade, then spring comes and we are burning up again

Castanet home page today, headline " fires half human caused"

All this misery inflicted by us
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Catsumi wrote:Couldn't agree with you more...a fire ring is a much safer option.

We have posted speed limits on our streets and highways. Those that ignore those signs by speeding and causing MVAs are punished via fines, loss of points, prohibitions from driving, etc

So, a fireban imposed earlier in the year is no different. Just consider it in the same way you would traffic signs.

I am pleased to say that in Kamloops and area people are demanding answers as to why ban not declared until July 7. Massive Fires were being fought May 24

Perhaps if we keep the pressure on this concern will be dealt with. Winter comes, memories fade, then spring comes and we are burning up again

Castanet home page today, headline " fires half human caused"

All this misery inflicted by us

Campfires are safe enough. I don't want to use a fire ring. How about you use your bicycle instead of driving a car? Much safer option.

You argument about speeding, etc., makes no sense. You aren't punished when I speed.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Mmmmm....my houseflies understand. Why is it such a difficult concept for you?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I got it, ban wood burning campfires from end of March to the end of September. Totally aloud gas campfires year around no embers plus the campers take it with them when they leave.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Catsumi wrote:Mmmmm....my houseflies understand. Why is it such a difficult concept for you?

I can understand everything just fine, until this comment. Are you talking to your houseflies?

Why can't you understand that I don't want to live in a society where you're guilty until proven innocent? Why can't you understand that all activities have risks, yet I'm not sitting here writing that they should be banned simply because I don't take part in them. Why can't you understand that a fire ban in April, May and June will have very little impact?
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

I totally agree with doing a fire ban early - sure it's fun to have them when you camp but the actions of so few are literally destroying our Province and homes so sorry - it just makes commons sense to ban all but propane fires - you can still roast your weenies and smores but safely. I also know that there will still be those idiots that start fires by tossing cig butts out the windows, and those who start them by ignoring fire bans, and backwoods closures on particular trails to motorbikes and 4-wheeling etc. Nothing we can do about those fools unless and until they are caught.

Then, what I also believe has to happen, is the fines have to be huge - to match the crime of losing our homes and forests. There has to be zero tolerance ENFORCEMENT. Too many of our laws are enacted and NEVER enforced so no one cares. Case in point - driving while talking on cell phones. Every once in a while they do a blitz and catch a big whack of people. Do the blitz every week til it sinks in - you WILL get caught. Not, no biggie, chances are you WON'T get caught so why stop.

I also know that it is very hard to prove someone did any of these things without eye witnesses but every once in a while, those fools will get caught and they can't be given a pass. It has to be throw the book and make sure everyone knows about it. If that even stops ONE more fool from starting another fire, or driving while on the cell phone, then good.

Enforcing and sentencing is what makes laws work - not the fact they exist. They basically don't exist if they aren't enforced IMHO.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I am in total agreement with you.

It is within our power to put the brakes on at least some of these horrific, destructive, life altering, expensive fires.

Please write your MLA and ask him/her to get after the Fire Office to declare a campfire ban when conditions are at High Risk rather than Extreme Risk

Anyone caught, silly enough to insist on burning, will have to deal with the consequences. I sure will not be crying for them. :biggrin:

Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Conservation officers are "searching night and day" for people who are trying to "get away" with having a campfire, according to Penticton-based conservation officer Mike Stern.

Conservation officers in the Interior, along with the B.C. Wildfire Service, have been spending 24 hours a day patrolling the woods. All of B.C. is under a fire ban, with the exception of Haida Gwaii and the fog zone, but many people still want to "take their chances."

If someone is caught having a campfire, they will receive a $1,150 ticket, at minimum, but not just the person who starts the campfire will be issued the fine.

"Everyone around that fire is subject to a fine of $1,150," Stern said. "We're very familiar with the backwoods and there usually isn't very many places these people can hide."

Conservation officers have already handed out many tickets, he said.

"We just issued a ticket to an individual in Okanagan Falls for having a backyard burn," he said. "That individual was issued an $1,150 ticket under the Wildfire Act."

Due to the fire hazard, there will be zero tolerance for any open fire, and that also includes fires within municipalities, like "backyard" fires, according to Stern.

"Most people we have dealt with realize there is a fire ban," Stern said. "It's not acceptable for people to go out and think they can get away with it."

Violators could face fines ranging from $1,150 to $10,000 and a year in jail. If a campfire or other burning causes a wildfire, the person responsible may have to pay all costs associated with fighting the fire.

B.C. conservation officers are asking the public to report any fires they are aware of, here.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#202343
Glad to hear of tickets being issued.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Fancy wrote:
Conservation officers are "searching night and day" for people who are trying to "get away" with having a campfire, according to Penticton-based conservation officer Mike Stern.

Conservation officers in the Interior, along with the B.C. Wildfire Service, have been spending 24 hours a day patrolling the woods. All of B.C. is under a fire ban, with the exception of Haida Gwaii and the fog zone, but many people still want to "take their chances."

[color=#FF0000]If someone is caught having a campfire, they will receive a $1,150 ticket, at minimum, but not just the person who starts the campfire will be issued the fine. [/color]

"Everyone around that fire is subject to a fine of $1,150," Stern said. "We're very familiar with the backwoods and there usually isn't very many places these people can hide."

Conservation officers have already handed out many tickets, he said.

"We just issued a ticket to an individual in Okanagan Falls for having a backyard burn," he said. "That individual was issued an $1,150 ticket under the Wildfire Act."

Due to the fire hazard, there will be zero tolerance for any open fire, and that also includes fires within municipalities, like "backyard" fires, according to Stern.

"Most people we have dealt with realize there is a fire ban," Stern said. "It's not acceptable for people to go out and think they can get away with it."

Violators could face fines ranging from $1,150 to $10,000 and a year in jail. If a campfire or other burning causes a wildfire, the person responsible may have to pay all costs associated with fighting the fire.

B.C. conservation officers are asking the public to report any fires they are aware of, here.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#202343
Glad to hear of tickets being issued.

I particularly like the part about EVERYONE around the fire will be fined.....doesn't matter if you are the one who lit it or not...
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

This was pleasant news to start the day!

Isn't it amazing just how many eggheads there are out there? The fines aren't high enough, but it is a start.

I am lighter of heart this morning.

I just wish they could nail every one of them

Have a wonderful day :D

Unknown
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Should we have a total driving ban too? How about sports like skiing or hockey? Kids playgrounds? Should we ban houses with stairs?

Far more people are injured and die from all of those activities than they do from forest fires. The costs of fires pale in comparison to the medical costs of these activities, but everyone overreacts when the media puts fires at front and center

Why is it that when anyone starts a thread about anything, someone always comes along and says "oh, yah? What about this? Or why don't we just ban everything?" Can't we just talk about this? It's kinda valid right now. You know, kinda front and center.

And do you seriously think that we as a PArovince suffer from 80,000,000 in hockey injuries every year? Or 80,000,000 in monkey bar accidents? Or stair accidents?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Merry wrote:Most fires are caused by lightening, not human error. But of those that are due to human error, many are from things like sparks on a railway line (ban trains?), or workers in the bush (ban logging?), or even home owners doing stuff that causes a spark (ban all homes that are anywhere near trees?).

When the fire situation is extreme they always do ban campfires. But it's an oversimplification to say that enacting earlier campfire bans would reduce the problem of wild fires. Those fires in the Central Interior were caused by lightening, and exacerbated by high winds and high temps. Campfires had nothing to do with it.

Interesting bit of news yesterday and quoted in a thread about this topic but 2/3 rds of the fires burning right now are human caused.

And stop with the stupid crap about banning trains and logging et. al. You can't be serious? Talk about over simplification.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

The type of people who would walk away without making sure the fire is out, are also the type of people who would probably ignore a campfire ban.

It isn't fair to enact rules that punish those who are responsible, as a means of stopping irresponsible acts. Because irresponsible people don't follow the rules in the first place.

Totally agree with the first statement.

The second however is ridiculous. What you are saying is that because stupid people will ignore bans anyhow, why bother having them at all? That is childish.

We are surrounded by rules that are enacted that target rule breakers and can obviously adversely affect everyone else. Collectively, they are known as "the law".
Last edited by mexi cali on Jul 28th, 2017, 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

mexi cali wrote:
Why is it that when anyone starts a thread about anything, someone always comes along and says "oh, yah? What about this? Or why don't we just ban everything?" Can't we just talk about this? It's kinda valid right now. You know, kinda front and center.

And do you seriously think that we as a PArovince suffer from 80,000,000 in hockey injuries every year? Or 80,000,000 in monkey bar accidents? Or stair accidents?

Much easier to have a debate with you if you read the previous posts and do a little research. Then we can debate using real facts instead of emotion.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”