Ashcroft (Elephant Hill)

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Ashcroft

Post by Glacier »

^ No, the fire is on the east side of the highway.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Pretty amazing MODIS satellite image of elephant Hill fire last weekend...
multiple photo upload
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

^ Also shows Hanceville, 100 Mile, Williams Lake fires, etc.

firesnew.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

That's right too. Heading up there Thursday. Anyone up for a roadtrip?
WW
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Estimated at 58,363 hectares. It received some rain yesterday but it sounds like some areas are still very active.
bodmanza

Post by bodmanza »

Making the trek from 'Berta, to Kamloops, then on to Whistler Thursday. I note all outlets show 97 open thru Cache Creek - fire has moved NE or? Will take an alternate route if risk of closure.
CPHR / WSET certified somm / Degree in Anthropology... Excessive dabbler
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

bodmanza wrote:Making the trek from 'Berta, to Kamloops, then on to Whistler Thursday. I note all outlets show 97 open thru Cache Creek - fire has moved NE or? Will take an alternate route if risk of closure.

You are all clear
WW
bodmanza

Post by bodmanza »

tsayta wrote:
bodmanza wrote:Making the trek from 'Berta, to Kamloops, then on to Whistler Thursday. I note all outlets show 97 open thru Cache Creek - fire has moved NE or? Will take an alternate route if risk of closure.

You are all clear

Thanks Tsayta
CPHR / WSET certified somm / Degree in Anthropology... Excessive dabbler
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Irony. Drove through elephant Hill yesterday. Sitting up okanagan park right now. There is more fuel here post 2003 fires than what this Ashcroft fire had to start with. Perhaps the people saying "nah nothing to worry about on Okanagan mountain Park, we already had a fire..." is plain wrong
WW
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

tsayta wrote:Sitting up okanagan park right now. There is more fuel here post 2003 fires than what this Ashcroft fire had to start with.

Irony... 100 years of fire suppression has interrupted the natural disturbance cycles, creating unnatural fuel loading. We need to treat these areas in the spring to create areas just like Ashcroft. In essence the answer is, to create buffer zones around our communities that are more prone to fire, and experience faster rates of spread.

... cause that'll work out well.

:130:
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

tsayta wrote:Irony. Drove through elephant Hill yesterday. Sitting up okanagan park right now. There is more fuel here post 2003 fires than what this Ashcroft fire had to start with. Perhaps the people saying "nah nothing to worry about on Okanagan mountain Park, we already had a fire..." is plain wrong

It's not uncommon for an area to burn twice in a short time span. The combination of thick grassy fuels that typically grow after a fire & dead trees that fall (usually 10-20 years) after a fire can produce quite a heavy ground fuel load.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

tsayta wrote:Irony. Drove through elephant Hill yesterday. Sitting up okanagan park right now. There is more fuel here post 2003 fires than what this Ashcroft fire had to start with. Perhaps the people saying "nah nothing to worry about on Okanagan mountain Park, we already had a fire..." is plain wrong

and yet its still open I have emailed the idiots at parks twice every park in this area is closed except that one which puts myself and family at risk and they do nothing with the amount of traffic its not if its when another fire starts
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

retard.jpg
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A backburn has backfired, and gotten out of control. They have evacuated more homes between Loon Lake and Mound Road, giving people just 5 minutes notice to get out.
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Northwest flank is getting close to Clinton. Looks very active.
Attachments
Ashcroft map .png

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”