Ashcroft (Elephant Hill)

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: Ashcroft

Post by tsayta »

Is this thing about to jump the Bonaparte?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

tsayta wrote:Is this thing about to jump the Bonaparte?

That would be insane! That river is like almost 10 feet wide!

Note: It already jumped the Bonaparte to get to Elephant Hill and Loon Lake in the first place.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Glacier wrote:
tsayta wrote:Is this thing about to jump the Bonaparte?

That would be insane! That river is like almost 10 feet wide!

Note: It already jumped the Bonaparte to get to Elephant Hill and Loon Lake in the first place.

Ummm. Not sure that is correct. Pretty sure elephant Hill is well south of Bonaparte. Also pretty sure ff bc said a week ago that there was "no chance of the fire moving north and crossing the Bonaparte"
WW
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Talking about crossing the Bonaparte here (red line). Elephant Hill is way south (red x)
how can i upload images
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Ah, dude, how did it get from Boston Flats to Elephant Hill? Hint, it jump the Bonaparte River at the Bonaparte Reservation. The Bonaparte River flows into the Thompson River at Ashcroft. But yes, it's getting close to jumping it again above where the river changes from north-south to east-west.

elephanthill.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Snickerdoodle
Board Meister

Post by Snickerdoodle »

Thank god someone posted this question. I grew up in Cache Creek / Ashcroft area (every summer, spring, winter holiday at my familys place there). So when I saw Ashcroft (or Boston Flats) was on fire and then suddenly its in Clinton and Loon Lake - I kept wondering what happened to Cache Creek? Did it jump the entire town? Or is this a new fire, did it manage to somehow circle around Cache Creek and link back to the other towns.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

It moved up on the east side of the highway past cache Creek. It stalled in the arrowstone area for a while. Then one night there was a huge south wind and it pressed north about 20k in one night. This was the night it hit loon lake. It the stalled in the hills north of loon lake for a while. At this time they put properties as far north as green lake on alert. At the time they were pretty confident it would not cross the Bonaparte to the north. However over the last few days it has begun creeping north again
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

tsayta wrote:It moved up on the east side of the highway past cache Creek.

I hate to get technical, but it moved up the west side of the highway past Cache Creek. Then it jumped across the Bonaparte River and up the mountain/hill on the east side of the valley where it sat for a few days before exploding 20km in one night as you have correctly stated.

firecachecreek.png
Last edited by Glacier on Jul 28th, 2017, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I like it
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The fire is now over 67,000 hectares, making it largest than the Brittany Triangle fire from 2009. Good enough for 3rd place this millennium province-wide. Only the Hanceville Riske Creek fire from this year and the Chelaslie River from 2014 are bigger.
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Now over 70,000 hectares!
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:Now over 70,000 hectares!

currently 78,996 hectares & growing
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Jumped Bonaparte, on way up. Plateau
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It looks like it has jumped the Bonaparte south of Clinton, and heading northwest toward Clinton. I don't see any jump going north toward 70 Mile, but it's hard to tell (I'm looking at the Satellite data).

https://fsapps.nwcg.gov/afm/googleearth ... ent=canada
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Don't rely too much on that Modis. Neither the monte Lake fire nor the nighthawk ever showed up on it
WW

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”