Fire on Knox mountain

johnny24
Board Meister

Re: Fire on Knox mountain

Post by johnny24 »

lightspeed wrote:Round them all up and set fire to them down at the site of the new Tourism Centre.

Broadcast it live online. Saturday night entertainment for the locals.

Prod the culprits with pitchforks as they writhe and scream.

The exposure might keep more of our annual influx of brain dead genius "visitors" away.

You are aware that if people are out there deliberately setting fires, then posts like these is exactly the kind of attention they are looking for?
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

And WHY are we having a fireworks display next weekend?? I don't care it's in the middle of the lake!!! It takes ONE flying ember. Not a good message to send out there. And blah, blah, blah permit #35689765 whatever....tell that to someone who lives near Knox.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

pictures on castanet show it starting right on the edge of the road
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

grapefruit wrote:And WHY are we having a fireworks display next weekend?? I don't care it's in the middle of the lake!!! It takes ONE flying ember. Not a good message to send out there. And blah, blah, blah permit #35689765 whatever....tell that to someone who lives near Knox.

Why don't you leave that decision up to someone that knows more about fireworks than you? They hold them every other year on July 1st without an incident.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Closing parks is obviously not working. perhaps if the park had been open, and more people around, someone wouldn't take the chance of being discovered accidentally smoking or setting fire.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

grapefruit wrote:And WHY are we having a fireworks display next weekend?? I don't care it's in the middle of the lake!!! It takes ONE flying ember. Not a good message to send out there. And blah, blah, blah permit #35689765 whatever....tell that to someone who lives near Knox.

Because CoK did not have a Canada Day fireworks show, blaming it on the flooding.
It will be blown off from a barge in the middle of the lake
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Closing parks is obviously not working. perhaps if the park had been open, and more people around, someone wouldn't take the chance of being discovered accidentally smoking or setting fire.
The park was open to public from what I've read - just closed to vehicle traffic.

Knox Mountain Park was closed Sunday afternoon after a wildfire broke out. People at the park said they were ordered to leave.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#203065

Of course now the site will need to be updated...
https://www.kelowna.ca/parks-recreation ... y-closures
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

More then likely a jack :cuss: butt flicker (on a bike or walking) or an as :cuss: hole who likes setting fires.
Anyway it was human caused
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

I was just reading on another site where a lady said she was hiking up Knox and seen people smoking while walking up the road...... :cuss: is wrong with people.
Last edited by vegas1500 on Jul 30th, 2017, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Castanet wants photos. People should try to get real close to the fire. And get some pictures from right under where the air tankers are dropping retardant.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

bob vernon wrote:And get some pictures from right under where the air tankers are dropping retardant

Hope you are off to the side. Water from the helicopters...not so bad. Retardant from the aircraft, sticks to you and your clothes, Stings ( some of the component is fertilizer of sorts), is heavy and can knock you for a loop and in the first place you should not be in the area of drops .
I am not wealthy but I am rich
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

I hate it when media does that, encourages stupidity. When the bird dog hits the siren everybody is supposed to clear the area, even the fire crews.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

bob vernon wrote:Castanet wants photos. People should try to get real close to the fire. And get some pictures from right under where the air tankers are dropping retardant.

More Darwinism is required. Much more.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

At around 4:00 pm, while observing the fire through binocs from the west side of the lake... you guessed it.. there was a least one person in civilian clothes, above the fire, to the north. What ever would make someone go there when an active fire is burning on the mountain, and when anyone with a brain in their head knows they shouldn't be there? Takes all kinds I guess.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Treblehook wrote:At around 4:00 pm, while observing the fire through binocs from the west side of the lake... you guessed it.. there was a least one person in civilian clothes, above the fire, to the north. What ever would make someone go there when an active fire is burning on the mountain, and when anyone with a brain in their head knows they shouldn't be there? Takes all kinds I guess.

Probably the culprit trying to escape. Or taking a last lingering look?
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”