Ashcroft (Elephant Hill)

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: Ashcroft (Elephant Hill)

Post by tsayta »

Yes I just read the proposal. Looks like an open pit coal mine and electrical generation plant covering 4300 hectares between hat Creek Ranch and the marble Canyon
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I believe there is a sizeable cement or lime plant on Hwy 99 too. it may be threatened with fire too.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:Hat Creek Ranch under threat. I hope they save it. Stopped in a few times. I have driven the Hat Creek Ranch FSR right around from end to end. Beautiful territory, nice scenery.

The fire is still quite the distance from there. This is more a precaution just in case the fire comes back from Clinton south over the highway.

My brother worked from 4 am to 11pm yesterday doing a big a$$ back burn on Hanceville fire. So far it seems to have worked to stop the fire from coming right into Big Creek.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

i was just camping for 5 days in pavilion at the ball field for a family event, it wasn't even smokey. That fire is quite a ways away and would have some extreme terrain to cross before it gets anywhere near the lime plant.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

zerograv wrote:i was just camping for 5 days in pavilion at the ball field for a family event, it wasn't even smokey. That fire is quite a ways away and would have some extreme terrain to cross before it gets anywhere near the lime plant.

That's what I thought when I posted the above comment, but I just checked the satellite map! Wow! Not so!

FIREELEPHANT.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

Glacier wrote:That's what I thought when I posted the above comment, but I just checked the satellite map! Wow! Not so!

still about 40km or so to pavilion which would be the only place inhabited in the area. Still to close for comfort of course.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I like Pavilion's native church and how the outer decor is done with wood lace work. Always intended to take the back road to Kelly Lake.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

zerograv wrote:still about 40km or so to pavilion which would be the only place inhabited in the area. Still to close for comfort of course.

Only 10km from the cement plant.
- Douglas Murray
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

Glacier wrote:Only 10km from the cement plant.

It's still 23 km from the graymont lime plant. Back burn got away from them apparently. Very dry there so I'm sure it can move pretty fast if the winds are blowing which they tend to do in that valley.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Check out this video of the chopper dropping fire... Then read the comment at the bottom from the witness/resident. Seems to suggest the elephant hill fire is mostly a collection of botched back burns.
http://www.100milefreepress.net/news/vi ... bly-wrong/
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I recall the other day some landowner was pretty upset (gun in hand) threatening fire crews that wanted to start back burns. What happens then when it goes wrong? Just "oops, sorry we wiped out your herd of cattle and farm"?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The fire is now over 93,000 hectares.
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

zerograv wrote:
Glacier wrote:Only 10km from the cement plant.

It's still 23 km from the graymont lime plant. Back burn got away from them apparently. Very dry there so I'm sure it can move pretty fast if the winds are blowing which they tend to do in that valley.

Sorry, 9 miles from the closet point (one on the left). More like 10 miles or 15 km from main fire.

distance.jpg
- Douglas Murray
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Heads should roll at the top. Out of control back burns are nothing new. I recall living near the Salmon Arm fire in 1998. The same thing happened there; burned the whole mountainside down, including some farm structures on Salmon River Rd. Many folks lose homes and livestock due to the incompetence of the people in charge of the BC Wildfire 'Service'.

I know that the NDP has an awful lot on their plate right now, but this should be a priority.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lasnomadas wrote:Heads should roll at the top. Out of control back burns are nothing new. I recall living near the Salmon Arm fire in 1998. The same thing happened there; burned the whole mountainside down, including some farm structures on Salmon River Rd. Many folks lose homes and livestock due to the incompetence of the people in charge of the BC Wildfire 'Service'.

I know that the NDP has an awful lot on their plate right now, but this should be a priority.

the thing is its the bclibs who have controlled bc fire service for last 16 years . who knows how mismanged it has been since 2001

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”