Cariboo total back country ban

dale mck

Cariboo total back country ban

Post by dale mck »

As of 1:30 p.m. Friday, all Crown land within the Cariboo Fire Centre was closed to public access due to the continued extreme fire danger and the number of active wildfires throughout the region
Glad to see officials had the wisdom and courage to put this in effect. Should no significant rain materialize this week-end I hope they expand this to the Okanagan region .
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Cariboo total back country ban

Post by Queen K »

Applause!

And yes, a total ban is needed in the Okanagan too. What is it going to take? Another 2003?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Queen K wrote:Applause!

And yes, a total ban is needed in the Okanagan too. What is it going to take? Another 2003?

Huh? A back country ban would've stopped the lightning strike in 2003?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Don't be crazy, of course not.

But human caused fires are outstripping natural causes. Keeping people out may reduce the numbers somewhat.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#204022

THIS is why the backcountry needs to be closed off - completely! Here some hikers got cut off from their usual route due to fires.

Wait for rescue with dwindling supplies OR hike out a longer, more difficult route. With no guarantee that route won't get caught up in fires.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:Don't be crazy, of course not.

But human caused fires are outstripping natural causes. Keeping people out may reduce the numbers somewhat.

With all due respect, I disagree with the ban. Most fires have been caused by lightning. Yes, some humans are idjits and start fires, but I can't think of a single background fire started by humans that caused a loss of property this year or last or the previous 15. I'm sure there were some caused by campfires, though those are banned already. ATVs are already banned off road.

It's dry, BUT rain is in forecast. 5 to 10mm along with cooler temperatures. This will make the backcountry much safer. For two days of extreme conditions to try and event fires that won't be spreading much due to rain coming Sunday seems like an extreme measure that's not warranted. At least in my opinion.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Glacier wrote:
Queen K wrote:Don't be crazy, of course not.

With all due respect, I disagree with the ban. Most fires have been caused by lightning. Yes, some humans are idjits and start fires, but I can't think of a single background fire started by humans that caused a loss of property this year or last or the previous 15. I'm sure there were some caused by campfires, though those are banned already. ATVs are already banned off road.

It's dry, BUT rain is in forecast. 5 to 10mm along with cooler temperatures. This will make the backcountry much safer. For two days of extreme conditions to try and event fires that won't be spreading much due to rain coming Sunday seems like an extreme measure that's not warranted. At least in my opinion.

Glacier, the Ft Mac was attributed to ATV user, 2016
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#204049

Why even go in there when there are more cariboo evacs?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Catsumi wrote:Glacier, the Ft Mac was attributed to ATV user, 2016

But ATVs are already banned in the backcountry. This ban will do nothing to prevent ATV caused fires since they are already banned.

If someone who booked 2 weeks off 10 months ago to do Bowron Lakes can't canoe the route because canoes on the lake will cause fires in the middle of the rainforest, I don't know if that's the right approach. Someone I know who relies on German tourists for her livelihood has had a month of cancelations, which means she had bills piling up during her 3 month window of income for the year. Seems a bit extreme that she can't even take out horseback riders, though maybe she can since it would be a business using the backcountry.

In other news, my brother says he and fire fighters are chain smoking in the middle of the fire, so they don't have to worry about starting fires, but there are some fire fighters trapped right now with no way out after the fire around Riske Creek flared up today.

Anyway, I'm out in Cariboo right now watching an AMAZING sunset. later...
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Yes, there is plenty of misery all around this "summer" and i feel for your friend with the trip cancellations. It is a nonending horror and personally, I too have lost out, not that that's any comfort to others suffering.

The reason i mentioned the Ft Mac fire is that it was human caused. Your msg above said you didn't know of any human caused fires this year or last.

Maybe a little vino messed up your mind as you were typing?

Enjoy sunset :smt045
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Backcountry was excellent today. Bit of rain and no fires caused by humans.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”