Smokanagan - again

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Smokanagan - again

Post by bob vernon »

Environment Canada has ZERO to do with the AQHI. The AQHI is a product of the province. EC might put it on their web site, but like most EC products, it is now almost totally computerized and untouched by human hands. EC just has their computers to grab it from a provincial computer.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

bob vernon wrote:Environment Canada has ZERO to do with the AQHI. The AQHI is a product of the province. EC might put it on their web site, but like most EC products, it is now almost totally computerized and untouched by human hands. EC just has their computers to grab it from a provincial computer.

This is from their website:
The AQHI is an initiative of Environment Canada, Health Canada, the B.C. Ministry of Environment, the B.C. Ministry of Healthy Living and Sport, the B.C. Ministry of Health Services, the B.C. Lung Association, the Interior Health Authority, the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen and the City of Kelowna.
Regardless of whether they gather the data themselves, the fact that they're the ones publishing it is involvement and my skepticism about the accuracy of the numbers is not misplaced, I think, being directed at Environment Canada.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We decided not to let the smoke dictate to us if we're doing a day trip or not. Did the usual shopping trip/sightseeing/driving down to Sun-Oka Provincial Park, but holy moley, the smoke! We could not see Penticton at all. And through it all, we were blanketed by that fine blue haze. The only relief we sorta got was going up to the Summerland Research Gardens for flower photography. Spotted three sets of dried bear scat, so we didnt' stay long. Bears eating cherries, ask me how I know :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Queen K wrote:We decided not to let the smoke dictate to us if we're doing a day trip or not. Did the usual shopping trip/sightseeing/driving down to Sun-Oka Provincial Park, but holy moley, the smoke! We could not see Penticton at all. And through it all, we were blanketed by that fine blue haze. The only relief we sorta got was going up to the Summerland Research Gardens for flower photography. Spotted three sets of dried bear scat, so we didnt' stay long. Bears eating cherries, ask me how I know :up:

Ahhhh, photos of bear scat. Can't wait to see!!
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i think the smoke is making me sick . i have now quit cigs because of it
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oddly enough I didn't photograph any of it. :200:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Really cleared up this morning.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Frisk wrote:Really cleared up this morning.

Gorgeous morning!
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

gman313 wrote:
Frisk wrote:Really cleared up this morning.

Gorgeous morning!

Why thank you.... And DON'T CALL ME MORNING!
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

This is specifically about Kamloops, but I think it's relevant to the Okanagan as well. https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#204564
The AQHI is not designed to indicate wood smoke. It all makes sense to me now.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

The sun is going away in Penticton, and I don't expect it back anytime soon. The Diamond Creek fire south of the border is blowing up again.

Diamond-Creek-08-28.jpg
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Drip_Torch wrote:The sun is going away in Penticton, and I don't expect it back anytime soon. The Diamond Creek fire south of the border is blowing up again.

Diamond-Creek-08-28.jpg

Interesting you should say that. I was just saying to someone else that the smoke is on the way. The fires were dormant for a week, but they are BACK. Only this time the smoke is coming from the south, so the Cariboo smoke is heading toward Prince Rupert this time. The media is finally right about Washington smoke coming our way. A month late, but hey, better late than never.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

The media is finally right about Washington smoke coming our way. A month late, but hey, better late than never.

They may have overstated the scale, but they weren't completely wrong. I remember the afternoon of the 3 mile KVR incident, looking across the valley towards Penticton and thinking - Oh, crap - here we go. Luckily, it was a short lived occurrence, but it was far more acrid than the Cariboo smoke ever was.

So far, this smoke from the south, is sitting in a band very high up.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Post by BigBearBruno »

What a useless summer. 99% smoke the entire summer.
Just called me Triple B.
Bigger, Badder, Better than you!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If it's not flooding, on fire or smoky, we didn't have a Summer. :cuss:

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”