Cutting firewood in the Okanagan!!!

Giants Head
Fledgling

Cutting firewood in the Okanagan!!!

Post by Giants Head »

I was just told that Forestry is allowing people to go into the bush and cut firewood. I find this really a bad idea. Has anyone else heard this? We all know that the firewood cutters are always off the main roads looking for the wood that hasn't already been hauled out. If you are going to stop off road vehicles firewood cutting should be included as well.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Cutting firewood in the Okanagan!!!

Post by TylerM4 »

I'm fine with it.

These guys are loading up their trucks with wood. Might be off the main road a little, but certainly not going too far offroad when they've got 2000lbs of firewood to haul back.

They're removing dead trees and wood that could fuel the next fire.

Also - We're knocking on September's door. While risk is very high at the moment, it's getting lower every day.

However, I would like to see them required to carry a fire extinguisher, a shovel, etc.
sevengrampy

Post by sevengrampy »

Firewood cutting permit lists requirements including fire extinguisher and shovel, among other items
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

ya get over it OP - getting sick of everyone trying to shut down the entire back country.

It's a way of life in BC
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Back in the day when my family would go and get firewood, we only cut down dead trees.
Then my Dad had a logging truck load dropped off, no more need to go cut our own down.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

They should only shut down the back country to those who live within city limits. :popcorn:
Your bias suits you.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Woodenhead wrote:They should only shut down the back country to those who live within city limits. :popcorn:

Perhaps an iq test first?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

well said woodenhead
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Woodenhead wrote:They should only shut down the back country to those who live within city limits. :popcorn:

gman313 wrote:Perhaps an iq test first?

Wat is an eye kew test? Is that wat thay doo bee foar peepul halve baybees?
Your bias suits you.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

TylerM4 wrote:I'm fine with it.

These guys are loading up their trucks with wood. Might be off the main road a little, but certainly not going too far offroad when they've got 2000lbs of firewood to haul back.

They're removing dead trees and wood that could fuel the next fire.

Also - We're knocking on September's door. While risk is very high at the moment, it's getting lower every day.

However, I would like to see them required to carry a fire extinguisher, a shovel, etc.

Agree 100%.

I cut my own firewood for years up in the hills. Always carried shovel, fire extinguisher, chains, spare chainsaw, and proper permit.

The way I see it I cleared away several hundred beetle killed pine trees, that were they still standing would be excellent kindling to start a huge forest fire.

I always stayed on existing roads albeit rough ones in some instances but never more than 100 yards from the main road.

As far as I'm concerned we perform a public service.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I do think that while the trend is to eliminate wood burning stoves, there will be fewer and fewer people to remove the dead dry trees, which increases fire hazard. However it is also best practise not to cut during the very dry season as there is an increased risk of starting a fire while cutting. There is way too much dead stuff out there accumulating and this is part of the wildfire problem. but it needs to be cut in the spring and fall, not during a drought. There's a good reason why logging operations are suspended during drought.
ANd what should we do with smokers who want to cut wood in dry season? Are they likely to survive a day of wood cutting without having a smoke in the woods?
bird99

Post by bird99 »

It would appear that logging is suspended in the Okanagan region but this is not true in the Boundary Area... camped up in the Christian Valley this weekend.... and they are logging at night time... could hear the machines all night and had this confirmed by the Fire Warden in the area that there is indeed active logging at night.
62silverado

Post by 62silverado »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 28th, 2017, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

If you mean repairing range fences (cattle are up there), removing garbage (1st rule Leave No Trace), putting out smoldering fire pits then yes I guess we are stewards in a way. By the way Woodenhead does not own land up here so put that little green jealous monster back in the cupboard.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

sevengrampy wrote:Firewood cutting permit lists requirements including fire extinguisher and shovel, among other items

Kind of like roofers being required to have extinguishers? What could go wrong? I guess nothing...nevermind.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”