Diamond Creek Fire

Drip_Torch
Guru

Diamond Creek Fire

Post by Drip_Torch »

Looks like this fire, K51406, is going to become a thing here. Moved north quite a bit yesterday, about 3 kms, from what I can tell.

Here's the 411:

Date of Origin - Sunday July 23rd, 2017 approx. 09:45 AM
Cause - Human Caused
Location - Pasayten Wilderness, 27 miles NNW of Winthrop WA. (about 5 km from the border)
Percent of Perimeter Contained - 63%
Size - over 13244 hectares and growing

Diamond.jpg

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5409/
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Aug 29th, 2017, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: Diamond Creek Fire

Post by JagXKR »

That's where the smoke, over Penticton right now, is coming from. I heard it was just on the other side of Cathedral Park. Now seeing the location and the SW winds aloft (above 9000 feet) I can see why we have so much dense smoke overhead. Red sun again.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Looking at a smoke map it looks like the smoke from California is going to Oregon then they both head to Washington to gather more. One of my daughters lives outside Eugene, Ore. and it's horrible there right now.

Click on Vertically Integrated Smoke on the left menu:

https://hwp-viz.gsd.esrl.noaa.gov/smoke/index.html#
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Cool map! Answered my next question without even having to look into it.

I was wondering if either survey, or nena springs were going to put Diamond creek under the shadow of smoke, perhaps ameliorating conditions.

No such luck.

Diamond Creek appears to be a fuel condition driven fire.

Timber stands consist of a mix of Fire, Spruce, and Pine. Heavy dead and down fuels are very receptive to spotting due to critically dry fuel moistures. 1000 hour fuel moisture at First butte RAWS is 6% which is the record low for that RAWS.

I looked at that weather station yesterday, and it was reporting a fuel moisture content of 3.8%
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

The smoke is really keeping the temperature down in Kelowna. Forecasted high is 35 degrees, I don't think we'll break 30.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Frisk wrote:The smoke is really keeping the temperature down in Kelowna. Forecasted high is 35 degrees, I don't think we'll break 30.

It will definitely break 30 today. It was just a late start because it was a lot colder last night. I was looking to see if Lytton would hit 40 today since it hit 39.1 yesterday, and same thing, even though it's not cloudy there at all. Just sunny, but the cold nighttime temperature means we're all an hour or so behind yesterday (2 to 3 degrees of warming per hour this time of day). It might start warming up quicker after 3 today is what I'm thinking.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Probably won't be 35 though?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Frisk wrote:Probably won't be 35 though?

It probably will. Maybe 34.

Note that Lytton has risen 7 degrees in the past hour, and now sits at 38C.

As for Diamond Creek, it's burning at 7,000 ft above sea level, which is into the alpine. Some is lower around 5,000 ft.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Visual Satellite from 2pm (2100z). Shows smoke plume clearly from fire going NE to the Okanagan. Another one further south but it dissipates a lot before reaching the border.

http://weather.gc.ca/data/satellite/goe ... le_100.jpg
Attachments
Satsmoke.jpg
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Glacier wrote:
Frisk wrote:Probably won't be 35 though?

...As for Diamond Creek, it's burning at 7,000 ft above sea level, which is into the alpine. Some is lower around 5,000 ft.

I was thinking along those lines yesterday, but MODIS indicates it remained quite active through the night. The colour of the plume and the ash landing on the hood of my truck, suggests it's still finding fuel up there somewhere. I'm not certain, but it looks like if it finds its way into the Pevee drainage, or Dean creek, it could be a thing for a while.

Oh check that, modis just updated, it appears to be in Dean creek - that would explain why it's getting darker.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Glacier wrote:
Frisk wrote:The smoke is really keeping the temperature down in Kelowna. Forecasted high is 35 degrees, I don't think we'll break 30.

It will definitely break 30 today. It was just a late start because it was a lot colder last night. I was looking to see if Lytton would hit 40 today since it hit 39.1 yesterday, and same thing, even though it's not cloudy there at all. Just sunny, but the cold nighttime temperature means we're all an hour or so behind yesterday (2 to 3 degrees of warming per hour this time of day). It might start warming up quicker after 3 today is what I'm thinking.

4pm, temperature at the airport is 26.0 degrees, it actually dropped a couple degrees since 3pm. Sorry glace but I think you're incorrect.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Frisk wrote:4pm, temperature at the airport is 26.0 degrees, it actually dropped a couple degrees since 3pm. Sorry glace but I think you're incorrect.

Wow, was I ever wrong! Interestingly enough, Ashcroft is currently 39! Kamloops and Lytton are 38! Hottest day of the year in Kamloops. Crazy that it's that much hotter up there! Must be the smoke down our way!
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Nearby Merritt is at 34.8C. This smoke is some thick stuff.

Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

It's showing on radar, http://www.weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=xss

I'd venture a guess that's ash precipitating out of the plume. (some fairly compressed nerds landing on the hood of the truck now.)
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Is this how the dinosaurs felt after the asteroid smacked into earth? Sure got dark this evening. That fire must have a whole bunch of dry fuel....
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”