Finlay Creek Fire

Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by Wally »

I'm on knox mountain. The wind is going crazy. Win or lose, those firefighters have my full respect. I can't imagine fighting a fire in this kind of wind, but they're trying and by the smoke it looks like they're winning. Unbelievable.
Good luck crews.
Going today, hear tommorow
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Those 8 planes had to come from somewhere. Pulled off other fires? Had them standing in reserve?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

tsayta wrote:Those 8 planes had to come from somewhere. Pulled off other fires? Had them standing in reserve?

thats what i always wonder about to . . theres atleast 3 fires thst are huge still burning peoples places up.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: Big Smoke South West of Peachland

Post by JagXKR »

WalterWhite wrote:
- and to the right of that, just left of center is an even tinier plane - the bird dog.

Nice catch! I didn't see it. That is the Aero Commander AC90 from Penticton.

Cool. :up:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

We were just out by the Coq turnoff and could see the planes dipping in the lake.

I would say they were these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CL-215

There were 4 of them and two others we could not really see. One was very small, the bird dog I guess, and one much larger plane. Maybe the larger one was the one carrying retardant. We were quite high up and could not see where the drop site was so we did not see the retardant being dropped. On the way home, we also saw what appeared to be a news helicopter on its way.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

tsayta wrote:Those 8 planes had to come from somewhere. Pulled off other fires? Had them standing in reserve?

Probably elsewhere and standing by, really can't tell. I know that Conair 49 left early this afternoon and isn't part of the battle. Cranbrook? Moyie area? Evac order there.
The 215T's (or 415's) are based in Kamloops. Friend lives near the airport and told me about them a while ago. Said he saw some from Quebec as well.
dale mck

Post by dale mck »

[quote="tsayta"]Those 8 planes had to come from somewhere. Pulled off other fires? Had them standing in reserve?[/quote]

Some sit at Penticton until called out. Kelowna is not set up for them as a rule. Other wise they come from Kamloops.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

This smoke smells different. More campfire like or something. Can't describe it
WW
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

We only saw 6 planes.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

gardengirl wrote:We only saw 6 planes.

Some were refilling at Penticton, and 2 are getting fuel as well as retardant right now. They will all be stopping soon. Sunset occurring and when twilight ends they will stop attacking from the air.
Winds have shifted dramatically in Penticton. So much so I can see blue sky and can't smell smoke from the southern fires. Airport here only reporting 8kmh. A far cry from an hour ago.
Getting time for the ground crews to go at 'er.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Air tanker action is according to priorities and there is a list of factors. This fire being a new start with no other new starts probably has a very high priority and some tankers from other bases may be used. Any fire threatening structures would have a top priority.

Not looking good with it again doubling in size and shut down time for aircraft fast approaching. Heavy equipment constructing guards through the night probably, at least on the flanks where accessible.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

WW
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Convair 55 and 47 are done for the day. The Electras will not be coming back here, heading back to whence they came. Bird Dog is still out there as well as the the helis. Not sure about the CL-215's (4's?) but they most likely are heading back to base.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Got some nice pix from the hwy above Peachland. Glad I went out but omigod, the fire is huge by now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”