lightspeed
Guru

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by lightspeed »

trapp wrote:Or ....keeping it metric 1000 hectares = 10 square Km

:200: a monster.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

WalterWhite wrote:Evac order issued:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#205723

UPDATE: 1:45 p.m.

Fifty-five properties to the south of the Finlay Creek wildfire have been ordered to evacuate.

The evacuation order from the Okanagan Similkameen Regional District (RDOS) states the affected properties are in Electoral Area F, for Meadow Valley and Darke Creek areas west of Summerland.

First responders are currently attending properties to ensure people are aware they must evacuate immediately. BC Wildfire Service, RCMP, Penticton Search and Rescue and the Summerland Fire Service are on scene as the order straddles both the District of Summerland and RDOS borders.

The 55 properties affected by the order include:

951 Meadow Valley Road in the District of Summerland
476 Fish Lake Road
920 Fish Lake Road
879 Meadow Valley Road
481 Fish Lake Road
1108 Fish Lake Road
920 MEADOW VLY RD
498 Fish Lake Road
1124 Fish Lake Road
931 MEADOW VLY RD
501 Fish Lake Road
1139 Fish Lake Road
951 MEADOW VLY RD -Smld

535 Fish Lake Road
1151 Fish Lake Road
955 MEADOW VLY RD
549 Fish Lake Road
1250 Fish Lake Road
24 OSBORNE RD
552 Fish Lake Road
1321 Fish Lake Road
30 OSBORNE RD
559 Fish Lake Road
1344 Fish Lake Road
33 OSBORNE RD
571 Fish Lake Road
1405 Fish Lake Road
35 OSBORNE RD
623 Fish Lake Road
26 MARSH LN
36 OSBORNE RD
628 Fish Lake Road
75 MARSH LN
48 SAVANNA RD
631 Fish Lake Road
100 MARSH LN
36 OSBORNE RD
822 Fish Lake Road
105 MARSH LN
12 SAVANNA RD
833 Fish Lake Road
155 MARSH LN
16 SAVANNA RD
852Fish Lake Road
633 MEADOW VLY RD
22 SAVANNA RD
855 Fish Lake Road
671 MEADOW VLY RD
558 RELKEY RD
877 Fish Lake Road
681 MEADOW VLY RD
574 RELKEY RD
883 Fish Lake Road
810 MEADOW VLY RD
884 Fish Lake Road
860 MEADOW VLY RD
Residents are asked to leave the area immediately and register at ESS Reception Centre located at the Summerland Arena and Curling Club at 8820 Jubilee Rd East, Main Floor. The Emergency Support Services (ESS) telephone number is 250-462-0823.

Before leaving:

close all windows and doors
shut off all gas and electrical appliances, other than refrigerators and freezers
close gates (latch) but do not lock
leave a note on the door or gate to say you have evacuated
gather your family: take a neighbour or someone who needs help
take critical items (medicine, purse, wallet, and Keys) only if they are immediately available
take pets in pet kennels or on leash
do not use more vehicles then you have to
do not use the telephone unless you need emergency service
Those properties evacuating horses or livestock, can relocate animals to BC Livestock Yards at 5353 Hawthorne Place, Okanagan Falls.

Odd that Castanet have this but cord emergency site not been updated to show any orders, in fact no update since this morning
daceri

Post by daceri »

The fire has now moved in the RDOS area - The Regional District of the Okanagan Similkameen is in charge of emergency operations for this area, not CORD. They have info on their website http://www.rdosmaps.bc.ca/min_bylaws/EO ... r_Fire.pdf
Giants Head
Fledgling

Post by Giants Head »

I just left the area north of Garnett Valley Dam. I walked up the side of the dam to the north end. The fire has now started burning down the east side of the dam and is further down the west side of the dam. Houses in the area have sprinklers set up by Summerland Fire Dept and forestry on the roofs and around the perimeter. Three large helicopters are bucketing out of the dam and heavy equipment is pushing in a fire guard on the east side. This was at 3:30 this afternoon. A small jet was doing circles above the smoke the whole time I was there.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I don't get it. Is there some kind of 'news fatigue ' going on with fires? I thought there would be major reporting going on. Castanet in scene, interviews, updates, all kinds of near live updates. I don't give a rat's a$s about the ipe. Where's the info?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

straddles both the District of Summerland and RDOS borders.

They are leaving that up to Reg, Dist of Okanagan Similkameen.rdos
dale mck

Post by dale mck »

Someone flying over Vancouver put a pic on my Facebook post showing the column of smoke from the Finley Creek fire visible that far away. that was about 3;30pm.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

dale mck wrote:Someone flying over Vancouver put a pic on my Facebook post showing the column of smoke from the Finley Creek fire visible that far away. that was about 3;30pm.

I want to see that
WW
Artist

Post by Artist »

tsayta wrote:I don't get it. Is there some kind of 'news fatigue ' going on with fires? I thought there would be major reporting going on. Castanet in scene, interviews, updates, all kinds of near live updates. I don't give a rat's a$s about the ipe. Where's the info?

I TOTALLY agree with this! As a Kelowna resident, I've been quite appalled this Summer, at the lack of coverage (especially on the part of our local radio stations (AM1150 take note)), when fire events have broken out in and around our community. When a fire is breaking loose, the last thing I'm interested in hearing about is American Sports, Blue-Jays games, or paid advertising - where in the world are our local news reporters during these fires, and why don't the local radio-stations have contingency-plans in place to break into air-time and connect (and stay connected) with the struggling community? Frankly, I've lost interest in turning to our Kelowna media outlets for info - they seem to be MIA - Facebook posts seem to be much more up to speed!
Last edited by Artist on Sep 3rd, 2017, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

tsayta wrote:I don't get it. Is there some kind of 'news fatigue ' going on with fires? I thought there would be major reporting going on. Castanet in scene, interviews, updates, all kinds of near live updates. I don't give a rat's a$s about the ipe. Where's the info?

News people are not allowed on or close to the fire lines. They are treated the same as public, not trained and not safe. Having said that the Information officers, from what I have seen need to be more diligent in keeping the news people informed. Of course in fairness they struggle for information also and the Incident Commander and Operations Supervisor are busy doing what their priority is, and that is fire control.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

You know, I have to agree regarding coverage to some extent. I don't think it's been quite as bad as some suggest but it certainly isn't what it was in '03 for example. And I say that as I was quite involved in helping develop Castanet and stayed involved with the site for a couple of years after its launch. Looming back, the '03 fires really were what put Castanet on the map. The folks who had the incredibly smart foresight to convert the then not all that widely used news site into the city's main and really only wildfire portal with its constantly cycling stories, updates etc, put Castanet on the map. Everyone was suddenly making the site their homepage just to stay informed, literally at times minute-to-miniute. So much so, by the time the smoke cleared (literally and figuratively) Castanet really had finally become "Kelowna's Homepage". So the fact that, wind forward 14 years and the very people who have become Castanet's loyal followers are complaining about the site's lack of constant engagement 're the fires is quite ironic.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

Though i still think the coverage isn't too bad. Just not extraordinary like it use to be.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

canadman wrote:You know, I have to agree regarding coverage to some extent. I don't think it's been quite as bad as some suggest but it certainly isn't what it was in '03 for example. And I say that as I was quite involved in helping develop Castanet and stayed involved with the site for a couple of years after its launch. Looming back, the '03 fires really were what put Castanet on the map. The folks who had the incredibly smart foresight to convert the then not all that widely used news site into the city's main and really only wildfire portal with its constantly cycling stories, updates etc, put Castanet on the map. Everyone was suddenly making the site their homepage just to stay informed, literally at times minute-to-miniute. So much so, by the time the smoke cleared (literally and figuratively) Castanet really had finally become "Kelowna's Homepage". So the fact that, wind forward 14 years and the very people who have become Castanet's loyal followers are complaining about the site's lack of constant engagement 're the fires is quite ironic.

Well said
WW

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”