Apple iPhone X

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Apple iPhone X

Post by GordonH »

Gilchy wrote:Gordon, at home I don't have (or need) a desktop or a laptop, so what's wrong with buying a smartphone? What makes your choice morally superior to mine?

No morality superiority here, since I have huge amount of both photos & music. Along with large programs for photo editing (as well Family tree program).
Only reason I even have a cellphone is for my employer to be able to get in touch with me. If it wasn't for that, I would not have it.
Those who need to get in touch with me can either leave voice mail on my landline (I know shocker, someone actually still has that) or email.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I was slow to get a smartphone as well, perfectly happy with my Razor flip phone and couldn't really understand what the big deal was. Especially given the difference in size, figured the larger smartphone would be cumbersome. Well that all changed the moment I got one. Now I'm perturbed when someone doesnt prefer texting and am pretty annoyed when I get voice mail. Even emails have taken a back seat, send me a link on a text. I would estimate that 90% of my posts on this fb are done on my phone.

I know where you're coming from Gordon because I was there too but have never regretted the switch, in fact I have yet to meet anyone who regretted switching.

Maybe now's the time to upgrade with these new ultimate phones out: the S8 from Samsung and the iPhone x from Apple. Better yet, ask your employer to pony up, think you'll be surprised how much you'll enjoy having one.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Poindexter wrote:I was slow to get a smartphone as well, perfectly happy with my Razor flip phone and couldn't really understand what the big deal was. Especially given the difference in size, figured the larger smartphone would be cumbersome. Well that all changed the moment I got one. Now I'm perturbed when someone doesnt prefer texting and am pretty annoyed when I get voice mail. Even emails have taken a back seat, send me a link on a text. I would estimate that 90% of my posts on this fb are done on my phone.

I know where you're coming from Gordon because I was there too but have never regretted the switch, in fact I have yet to meet anyone who regretted switching.

Maybe now's the time to upgrade with these new ultimate phones out: the S8 from Samsung and the iPhone x from Apple. Better yet, ask your employer to pony up, think you'll be surprised how much you'll enjoy having one.

None of my Friends &/or Family have asked me why I don't have a smartphone (oh yes, no FB here). I make time to see & talk with Family & Friends in person, my landline & email is for setting up time & place.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Symbonite wrote:Yawn....

Basically a over priced Note 8. It does look like they pushing more of the Apple watch now than the phone.

It seems that they are now the ones trying to catch up to Samsung and even LG.

Then Apple should include a battery that 'splodes, lol. The X is pretty cool. So far, the iphone7 plus holds top spot for best camera, and X will add telephoto and OIS, and faster lenses, with a surgical stainless steel border. The X will have an OLED display too, faster processor, and all sorts of goodies. I switched to Apple a year back. They do have a more refined sexy look IMO. O/S updates are available right away too. I'm not much in to the wireless charging. My phone is my ball-and-chain, and I may as well make it look like I bought it in a high-end BDSM shop ;-)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I make time to see & talk with Family & Friends in person, my landline & email is for setting up time & place.

The family and friends thing doesn't change just because you set it up via text. My 80 year old folks are holdouts too, was just some friendly advice, whatever works for you. :up:
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I make time to see & talk with Family & Friends in person, my landline & email is for setting up time & place.

Poindexter wrote:The family and friends thing doesn't change just because you set it up via text. My 80 year old folks are holdouts too, was just some friendly advice, whatever works for you. :up:

Cellphone is work only (talk, no texting needed)
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Symbonite wrote:Yawn....

Basically a over priced Note 8. It does look like they pushing more of the Apple watch now than the phone.

It seems that they are now the ones trying to catch up to Samsung and even LG.

Samsung still has a lead over Apple in the cell phone market. Why people will camp out for days to upgrade the phone they bought last winter is beyond me.

But I'm the type who only upgrades my phone when mine bites the dust. The battery in my Blackberry exploded after a few years and my original Galaxy Infuse stopped holding much of a charge. My S6 Edge is still kicking after 3-ish years and I have no intentions to replace until it's not worth repairing.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Always Sunny wrote:
Samsung still has a lead over Apple in the cell phone market.

I really liked my iPhone, a better quality product in my opinion, but now that I have a Samsung I doubt I'll be going back. For me the IPhone is a little less user friendly because of the need to have iTunes, not being able to add memory with an SD card, and now the wireless headphones.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I tend to upgrade my phone every 2 years. I've got a 6s now, so I'm looking towards the X. Seems quite nice to me. I use my phone for 90% of my computing, and use it for several hours of each day, so I like to have a good device. I might have to get used to looking at my phone to use Apple Pay instead of registering my thumb print, but i don't think that will be an issue. Nice to see how the facial recognition has been implemented though, so unlike Samsung devices with facial recognition, a photo of me isn't going to unlock the phone. The camera tech is the most exciting part for me. Especially that the duel lense camera is available on a phone with a smaller size than the plus versions.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Saw this online earlier today and had to laugh... I'm an Android guy, and take great joy in teasing all the youngsters in our family who have iPhones. I get it from them unmercifully about being technically behind the times, so this is brilliant cannon-fodder....!
:laugh: :yahoo: :biggrin:

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

[icon_lol2.gif] Good one OldIslander.

I'm an Android guy too and ever since I figured out how to sync my music on my S7 with iTunes on my PC there's absolutely zero need for me to consider Apple.

I prefer having a phone where I can add an SD card of my liking.

Also the Samsung is waterproof in 1.5 metres for 30 minutes (like anyone is going to leave it in the toilet that long) whereas the iPhone X has a bit lower rating despite being newer.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Dear Samsung S8 users, welcome to 2012 in terms of benchmark performance.

Why would you pay so much money for a Samsung phone with the MOST and fastest CPU cores and fastest biggest most hunkywunkydunky RAM but runs close to a third as fast as an iPhone 8/X. Coming from Android to Apple because I like to be techno-ambidextrous, I can say that graphic performance on Android has always been chunky monkey, and Android apps will always run slower than smooth iOS due to the nature of the Android OS.

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-x-vs-galaxy-note-8-vs-galaxy-s8-benchmarks-comparison/

https://www.cultofmac.com/133624/why-android-will-always-be-laggier-than-ios/

On another note, I am glad Apple discontinued the primitive stereo headphone jack. Although, they weren't the first to do this but others will follow. Does Samsung come with 8-track too? I use Spotify at home and apples headphones that come with the phone. You only need one jack after-all, if any.

On another note, once Android approaches version X and Y and Z... what candy starts with X?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

On another note, I am glad Apple discontinued the primitive stereo headphone jack.

Primitive?

Show me an alternative that's better or even comparable?

Bluetooth has pairing issues/sync issues/keeping up on recharging. It's great for the mindless masses who can't really think for themselves, but not a real alternative.

Your other arguments are basically moot as that's the common difference between android and apple, and always has been.

iOS is built for a particular set of hardware, but also ages faster(6s's are already quite slow with all the new updates), Android fits more niches and runs on par with what the majority of users do. That's the trade off.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Well, one could call DVI primitive or obsolete since newer standards carry both audio and video, called HDMI. The audio jack is easily replaced with existing USB/FireWire/lightning providing audio modulation by PCM. The iphone7/8/X, Moto Z2, HTC U Ultra, Google pixel 2, and more have gone jackless. Why have two jacks on the bottom of a phone when one works just as good? One less jack means more room is available for other features. Their existing replacement is comparable. There are no audiophile quality DACs on a phone to give you analog out. Just because you loose the audio jack doesn't mean you can no longer use previously compatible devices.

Don't tell me about aging platforms. I've lost an older android phone and tablet to a new Android OS. Apples will do more with less resources. Fact they perform better is not moot. Everyone runs benchmark tests on everything since benchmarks provide a means to compare apples and oranges. I have no had a need for more flexibility on either platform. My dev tools will allow an application to be built for Apple or Android.

A co-worker of mine had an HTC with IR output which everyone thought was cool. After he broke his phone, he went for a new model but it had no IR. the Android ecosystem is a mishmash of stuff. One phone I wouldn't mind would be the CAT S60 android phone with built-in thermal imaging.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Nothing you've posted above is incorrect.

But let's be honest here: The main reason Apple dropped the microphone jack is for profit. Apple makes WAY more money selling and licensing adapters than they make selling phones - this boosted those sales even further.
Last edited by TylerM4 on Sep 17th, 2017, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”