Cuba

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Cuba

Post by Ken7 »

Has anyone gone to Cuba since their last storm??

As of today you can fly from here to Cuba all in for under $1,000.00 I've found.

Drop a line. Thanks
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Cuba

Post by Dizzy1 »

Just from what I've heard, but pretty much all resorts are running normally but there still is a lot of work to do. Friends of mine just got back from the Mayan Riviera the other week and they said there was still damage down that way and the water still had a very strong fishy smell to it.

Cuba has always had the best deals - still haven't been yet though. One day
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Some friends went in November. I don't think there were any storm-related issues where they were staying.

The main thing they noticed is that there is no fresh produce available, which made for some pretty crappy dining experiences.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ive heard the food is rough in cuba
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Ken7 wrote:As of today you can fly from here to Cuba all in for under $1,000.00 I've found.

The company says it’s business as usual at 15 resorts in Havana, Varadero, Cayo del Largo, Holguin and Santiago de Cuba, while 12 hotels in Cayo Santa Maria and Jardines del Rey will be repaired “in time for high season.”

Varadero looked like that when the storm hit.

So you get everything for $1,000 - which is cheap - which means probably a 2 star hotel built in 1975 that looks like this ^^^

What did you expect for $1,000 FOR EVERYTHING included? including airfare^^^ (not so great)

^ that's 5 star. that's not for us. :-X

three minute walk to the beach. I would go.

I think it's a good deal anyway. If you want better food, you can always go to the five star hotel and pay
US$25 for a buffet - then the food is better.

http://www.canadiantraveller.net/Melia- ... after-Irma
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

We jsut got back from Miami and there was still some massive devastation in the Keys.

Not Cuba I know... but I have to assume it's probably worse.

It's not the USA so I assume cleanup will be slower and I think they got hit worse?

But I bet all the time and effort went to fixing the resorts first and they're probably up and running fine. Can't lose those tourist dollars for long
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

A friend has a place and winters there. She returned as she felt she was taking food and supplies away from locals. Maybe the resorts are fine but they were really slammed.
I would love to go there, freaking long flight tho
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Inlaws were in Veradero a couple of weeks ago. Said their resort was all good except for one beachfront restaurant that was being rebuilt due to heavy storm damage. We are going somewhere in mid January , they are planning on joining us. They are pushing for Cuba , and I am open to that suggestion , but there would have to be a substantial $$ savings over our choice of the Mayan Riviera in Mexico. We don't have the luxury of traveling very often , so I am hesitant to take the risk of being disappointed.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Wow - I see 3 star and 4.5 star hotels for about $1,000

What could go wrong?

http://shopping.selloffvacations.com/cg ... e-plus.cgi
https://www.redtag.ca/vacation-results/ ... e=20180109
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

You could go hungry. The Melia Marina does not include food.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

My wife and I went to Cuba in 1996. We booked a flight but not a hotel. It took a bit of doing to find a hotel but we managed it. We found another one a few days later that was better and moved into that.
We then arranged a flight to Trinidad (on the south side of the island) where we spent 4 days. It is a UNESCO world heritage site. There were virtually no cars on the streets and hardly any tourists. We had restaurants completely to ourselves.
We were able to walk most places around the town.
You can get private homes with meals quite cheaply. Our method is not for everyone but I put it out there as an alternative to the All Inclusive.
The big thing I noticed was the old men with a girl on each arm in Veradaro Beach.
Waste not
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Post by Btfsplck »

Consider Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. No storm damage, no food shortages (it's better as well), and comparable prices.
We've been to both and the DR wins in my opinion.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”