Fiery fracas over firing

AltaRed
Fledgling

Re: Fiery fracas over firing

Post by AltaRed »

Indeed, a poor decision. No reason for him to be in a City vehicle to begin with as it is city property, not for personal use. Secondly, personnel in positions of authority, especially leadership of others and in the community, have a higher standard to meet. His behaviour DOES reflect on the image of the department.

In my opinion, he should have lost his job 'for cause' and without compensation. Same goes for police, other EMS, etc. It is the least the public should expect from this group of 'elites'.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

AltaRed wrote:In my opinion, he should have lost his job 'for cause' and without compensation.
Depends on what the contract says - everyone should be treated the same which is another argument being used.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Fancy wrote:
AltaRed wrote:In my opinion, he should have lost his job 'for cause' and without compensation.
Depends on what the contract says - everyone should be treated the same which is another argument being used.

No fancy. Cops and firemen need to be held to a much higher standard. As they are the men others look up to.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jflem1983 wrote:No fancy. Cops and firemen need to be held to a much higher standard. As they are the men others look up to.

No Jflem1983, I'm right. We are talking about firemen here and their contracts - no one else's. They should all be treated the same and you know Klonteig brought that up.

The lawsuit claims that the District of West Kelowna, "failed to implement alternative disciplinary actions or any progressive discipline consistent with its treatment of other district employees in similar circumstances."

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... civil-suit
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

It would be interesting to know what reason the cop had to stop a clearly marked Fire Department vehicle. I doubt that it was a routine stop.
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dogspoiler wrote:It would be interesting to know what reason the cop had to stop a clearly marked Fire Department vehicle. I doubt that it was a routine stop.

Might have been at 1:30 in the morning - and good that the vehicle was stopped. Klonteig shouldn't have been using it for personal purposes anyway.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

dogspoiler wrote:It would be interesting to know what reason the cop had to stop a clearly marked Fire Department vehicle. I doubt that it was a routine stop.

I’m not sure it is clearly marked. I know at one point the Chiefs truck was red with a red canopy with no markings.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Pretty sure it's clearly marked unless Wayne had a "company" vehicle as well as one that was used when on the job.

Right or wrong has no clear place here. If he had a contract that stated conditions surrounding discipline and dismissal and those conditions were circumvented or ignored, like it or not, he has a case.

He made a bad choice for sure and he is paying for it for sure. Not many among us who couldn't do a little introspective on our own souls and draw a parallel.

And no I'm not saying it's OK to drive under the influence. Put down the pitchforks. And the torches.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
tlpilato

Post by tlpilato »

Fancy wrote:Other people don't lose their jobs so I can see the lawsuit.

It may have been a different story if he was in his own private vehicle then a different punishment should be put forth by his employer and allow the law to deal with his crime. Since he was in a company vehicle which he shouldn't be using on personal time unless approved by the employer, I believe they were entitled to fire him he is choose to drive the vehicle there and back when he could have cab it one way or both ways.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

mexi cali wrote:Pretty sure it's clearly marked unless Wayne had a "company" vehicle as well as one that was used when on the job.

Right or wrong has no clear place here. If he had a contract that stated conditions surrounding discipline and dismissal and those conditions were circumvented or ignored, like it or not, he has a case.

He made a bad choice for sure and he is paying for it for sure. Not many among us who couldn't do a little introspective on our own souls and draw a parallel.

And no I'm not saying it's OK to drive under the influence. Put down the pitchforks. And the torches.

Exactly. Judge needs to rule based on the law, not how much of a "snowflake" this guy is.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

tlpilato wrote:It may have been a different story if he was in his own private vehicle then a different punishment should be put forth by his employer and allow the law to deal with his crime.

Exactly. No shortage of first responders that have been nicked drinking and driving in their personal cars. Issue here it was a fire vehicle owned by the city. That is the cause for dismissal in my opinion.
If it was a personal car, I suspect he might still have his job but with some kind of discipline dished out by the city.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I'm unsure why anyone would condemn an employer firing an employee when the employee drives in his employ and was caught drunk in the employers vehicle, on duty or not.
Even a delivery person for any courier would lose their job if their legal ability to drive was removed because they were caught driving while impaired.
Human frailty aside, why would a first responder be driving while impaired? If there's anyone who should know better it's him.
I've known (and still do) many in rcmp and have seen many of them drive while totally glued. They laugh it off when called on it and respond that they'll know the member who pulls them over.
Maybe a few of them being held responsible for a huge claim that icbc claws back from them because of their criminal actions might help. As long as nobody is hurt.

The guy shoulda known better.
He deserves to lose his job without any reward.
The same thing would stand for pretty much anyone else in the same circumstances.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Likely a counterattack roadblock on the bridge.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

This clown made himself more of a clown now.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

What happened to the outfit who you could call that would come and drive you home in your own vehicle?

That would have been a much smarter choice for this guy.

I have no sympathy for him losing his job and don't think he deserves any more money for his bad choices.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Central Okanagan”