Horse Slaughter for food

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Horse Slaughter for food

Post by Fancy »

Interesting some testing was done a few years back on that chain and a few others to confirm the absence of horsemeat in burgers.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

GordonH wrote:If memory serves me, back in 70s one of food food joints was caught using horse (its the one who's famous for their root beer).
Reason they came very close to completely disappearing.

I could be wrong

Isn't that why several of the fast food chains brag about being 100% pure beef? (McDs comes to mind).

I still take issue with the omission of the fact as to what part of the beef are they using? I know what is in Arby's roast beef, and I will never eat one of those.
Bring back the LIKE button.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: BC Horse Angels?

Post by gman313 »

AlienSoldier wrote:Until horse meat is commercialized, advertised as a viable alternative and accepted by a portion of society it will not sell well, or be worth the money to manufacture it. It's an easier fight than beef, chicken, pork, etc.

From an export perspective the market is huge. It is well worth it.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

gman313 wrote:
AlienSoldier wrote:Until horse meat is commercialized, advertised as a viable alternative and accepted by a portion of society it will not sell well, or be worth the money to manufacture it. It's an easier fight than beef, chicken, pork, etc.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you Fancy, so just to clarify, are you talking about exporting horse or dog steaks?

If dog it is, I agree, as we have a surfeit, as attested to by the numerous dog complaints but not so much in horse population. The France French used to eat horse regularly but don't know if they still do or not.

Thinking about my earlier post I believe this was discussed in the Lewis & Clark expedition diaries. The fattest white dogs were used for ceremonial feasts by the Indians.

Alan, you mentioned the cooking odour, how different was it from say, beef for example? If it was in a stirfry dish you purchased there, how could you tell the difference? I have never been to China and never plan on going there so your revelations should be interesting. Could it be the diff between a herbivore vs carnivore diet? Personally I can't hack dog breathe stink, makes me gag.

Maybe you could do a cooking post exploring these meat alternatives?? :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Catsumi wrote:Perhaps I am misunderstanding you Fancy, so just to clarify, are you talking about exporting horse or dog steaks?

Substitute gman313 for Fancy and you might get an answer :)
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

OldIslander wrote:It doesn't matter what meat is in your diet -- there will someone, somewhere, who will object to it for a host of different reasons.

Many non-hunters don't feel hunters should be allowed to kill and consume many different kinds of game -- Grizzly Bear comes to mind. Most people object to the killing and consumption of cute animals over ugly ones (i.e., rabbits, harp seals ...). Or smart, majestic animals over dumb ones (dogs, horses, bears, a wide range of African range animals ...). But the fact is, all of these animals are consumed in great numbers, in many parts of the world. We don't approve of them all, according to how we were raised and the nature of our various cultures.

Having had a few dogs as part of my life, the idea of eating one repulses me. But if the number of people with an opinion matters, then eating dogs is just fine -- billions of Chinese and SE Asians eat them every day. Many more of them approve, than westerners who disapprove.

I've never been around horses, and don't have a problem with them being consumed. They're really just big smart, uppity cows, who let people ride on them. There are a lot of people in Canada who enjoy horse meat -- I had a friend who was a butcher and he quietly sold it every day. I tried it once and it was pretty good.

So if this person wants to save a few horses from the abattoir by buying them and keeping them in a horsey retirement center, more the power to her. It's her money, and anyone else's, goofy enough to contribute to her cause.

Google YuLin dog meat festival
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Back to the horse - there are regulations in place regarding horse meat as a food source.

https://www.cmc-cvc.com/sites/default/f ... 202013.pdf

The GAO report said horse exports for slaughter to Mexico increased by 680 percent from 2006 to 2010, after Congress stopped funding slaughter inspections.

“Since domestic horse slaughter ceased in 2007, the slaughter horse market has shifted to Canada and Mexico,” the report said. “As a result, nearly the same number of U.S. horses was transported to Canada and Mexico for slaughter in 2010 – nearly 138,000 – as was slaughtered before domestic slaughter ceased.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politic ... 66189.html
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Horses slaughtered for food

Post by CapitalB »

We don't eat them here because they're pets. A lot of places are less fussy about their meat because they are hungrier. Personally I don't have a problem with them shipping the horses out as food for the most part, though it does allow an increased chance of mistreatment which I don't agree with. I guess I'm just more ok with them being used for food than straight up euthanized which is probably the alternative most of the people selling them would consider.

The logical end of my thought chain is that if this industry is going to exist anyway we should handle the slaughter and processing in country to ensure ethical treatment of the animals.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Horses slaughtered for food

Post by Fancy »

CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

We don't eat them here because they're pets. A lot of places are less fussy about their meat because they are hungrier. Personally I don't have a problem with them shipping the horses out as food for the most part, though it does allow an increased chance of mistreatment which I don't agree with. I guess I'm just more ok with them being used for food than straight up euthanized which is probably the alternative most of the people selling them would consider.

The logical end of my thought chain is that if this industry is going to exist anyway we should handle the slaughter and processing in country to ensure ethical treatment of the animals.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Catsumi wrote:
gman313 wrote:

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you Fancy, so just to clarify, are you talking about exporting horse or dog steaks?

If dog it is, I agree, as we have a surfeit, as attested to by the numerous dog complaints but not so much in horse population. The France French used to eat horse regularly but don't know if they still do or not.

Thinking about my earlier post I believe this was discussed in the Lewis & Clark expedition diaries. The fattest white dogs were used for ceremonial feasts by the Indians.

Alan, you mentioned the cooking odour, how different was it from say, beef for example? If it was in a stirfry dish you purchased there, how could you tell the difference? I have never been to China and never plan on going there so your revelations should be interesting. Could it be the diff between a herbivore vs carnivore diet? Personally I can't hack dog breathe stink, makes me gag.

Maybe you could do a cooking post exploring these meat alternatives?? :biggrin:

I'm talking about a horsemeat export market. I'm just suggesting it is already a well established and lucrative market. Not on the level of beef, pork chicken etc but it is a market that is doing just fine. I have no idea if there is a dog meat export market or not
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Fancy wrote:
Old Techie wrote:To many people some of the other animal varieties are their pets and companions, so again I ask what makes the horse so special?
Aren't horses the same animals many breed simply to race, and if the animal gets older and doesn't win anymore, often gets turned into soap?

You'll see a lot of horses being sold once they stop performing any type of sport or the rider decides to purchase a better horse - they are bought and sold like a car so claiming they are pets and companions doesn't apply to a good portion of horse owners if the ads are anything to go by.

My thoughts exactly as well. :up:

So in essence as far as the topic goes, one man's pet is another man's dinner.

That concept applying to a variety of animal species.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:If memory serves me, back in 70s one of food food joints was caught using horse (its the one who's famous for their root beer).
Reason they came very close to completely disappearing.

I could be wrong

alanjh595 wrote:Isn't that why several of the fast food chains brag about being 100% pure beef? (McDs comes to mind).

I still take issue with the omission of the fact as to what part of the beef are they using? I know what is in Arby's roast beef, and I will never eat one of those.

This is one of the thing I miss about farming, we raised our own beef.... slaughtered & cut up the meat as well made our own hamburger (then add garlic when making patties).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
chippermonkey

Post by chippermonkey »

There is a hidden horsemeat industry running out of Canada that the public is unaware of.Horse slaughter is banned in the United States for a good reason yet Canada allows it.
It’s inhumane and barbaric form if killing and a lot of the horses are pumped full of carcegenic, cancer causing drugs that should not be in the human food chain. Proven cancer causing meds. Meanwhile the American horses are shipped inhumanly to Canada and Mexico by the truckloads to be slaughtered. Meanwhile killbuyers are scavaging Canadian horse auctions to buy horses below meat prices to send for slaughter. These are not just old horses they are anything these kill buyers can get their hands on often bidding against private buyers to buy that heavy horse cheap. Kids horses pumped full of vaccinations, wormers,and all kinds of medications are being butchered and served up on people’s plates with no questions asked. This would never happen with beef.
Young horses, pregnant mares, x race horses by the thousands any horse they can get their hands on and make a buck are being funnelled out for slaughter.
Horses are not meant to be raised as livestock for slaughter.Eating horsemeat is considered pagan in the bible and is taboo. After ww2 the depression forced some people in hardship to eat the overabundance of horses..Sadley some people will eat any animal that walks this planet. This industry does not belong in Canada...Horses should be humanly euthanized at the end of life if need be,not thrown in the human food chain.
Belinda is at the auctions at the deaths door for these animals ..saving hundreds often getting them off the slaughter trucks
that send them on the road to hell.Overbreeding is fuelling the industry..people need to be educated on what’s really going on
but all they see is horsemeat in a tidy package on store shelves. “ trace the meat it could be a x racehorse”
I guarantee you if slaughterhouses had glass walls you’d see the bloody horror house of this barbaric industry Canada allows..
All the people that like horsemeat spend a day and watch 80 live full of life horses of all ages being slaughtered, it’s horrific..
It is wrong and needs support to be stopped. The new farming of draft horses in Canada for Japanese export is another dirty secret.These horses are fed like pigs,stuffed 5 to a crate and flown 19 hours to Japan to be eaten raw in sushi.Gentle Giants!
Seriously people this is wrong and needs support to be stopped.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

chippermonkey wrote:There is a hidden horsemeat industry running out of Canada that the public is unaware of.Horse slaughter is banned in the United States for a good reason yet Canada allows it.
It’s inhumane and barbaric form if killing and a lot of the horses are pumped full of carcegenic, cancer causing drugs that should not be in the human food chain. Proven cancer causing meds. Meanwhile the American horses are shipped inhumanly to Canada and Mexico by the truckloads to be slaughtered. Meanwhile killbuyers are scavaging Canadian horse auctions to buy horses below meat prices to send for slaughter. These are not just old horses they are anything these kill buyers can get their hands on often bidding against private buyers to buy that heavy horse cheap. Kids horses pumped full of vaccinations, wormers,and all kinds of medications are being butchered and served up on people’s plates with no questions asked. This would never happen with beef.
Young horses, pregnant mares, x race horses by the thousands any horse they can get their hands on and make a buck are being funnelled out for slaughter.
Horses are not meant to be raised as livestock for slaughter.Eating horsemeat is considered pagan in the bible and is taboo. After ww2 the depression forced some people in hardship to eat the overabundance of horses..Sadley some people will eat any animal that walks this planet. This industry does not belong in Canada...Horses should be humanly euthanized at the end of life if need be,not thrown in the human food chain.
Belinda is at the auctions at the deaths door for these animals ..saving hundreds often getting them off the slaughter trucks
that send them on the road to hell.Overbreeding is fuelling the industry..people need to be educated on what’s really going on
but all they see is horsemeat in a tidy package on store shelves. “ trace the meat it could be a x racehorse”
I guarantee you if slaughterhouses had glass walls you’d see the bloody horror house of this barbaric industry Canada allows..
All the people that like horsemeat spend a day and watch 80 live full of life horses of all ages being slaughtered, it’s horrific..
It is wrong and needs support to be stopped. The new farming of draft horses in Canada for Japanese export is another dirty secret.These horses are fed like pigs,stuffed 5 to a crate and flown 19 hours to Japan to be eaten raw in sushi.Gentle Giants!
Seriously people this is wrong and needs support to be stopped.

Who cares about the bible. Regulate it like any other industries. I am very much for the horsemeat market. It is sustainable. You have 0 right to dictate what others eat.

Return to “Social Concerns”