Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: thou shalt not kill

Post by Ken7 »

Rider59 wrote:[
Barrister and Solicitor
Norsask Law
July 2013 – Present (4 years 8 months)

General practice of law with emphasis on Child and Family Services, Family Law, Litigation, WIlls and Estates, and Real Estate.

He's a Family lawyer. Not one minute as a criminal lawyer.

Good catch on that I never checked what he specializes in. I can say a brother-in-law of mine is a lawyer. I love to argue fact of law with him. He tells me of cases less names and details, I then give my educated Criminal opinion. We discuss it after trial, he should use me as a consultant, oh well.

This lawyer would have studied Criminal Law also, but that does not make his comments valued as you see.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

JayByrd wrote:
Indigenous people are not blaming society for Colten Boushie's death. Colten was killed, a man was tried, came up with a ridiculous "it was an accident" excuse, and was acquitted. Was race a factor in Gerald Stanley's acquittal? Only someone who can look into the hearts of the judge and jury can really answer that. One more instance of an Indigenous community being patient, letting the system do it's thing, and being left with nothing. The "well, Colten Boushie shouldn't have been there" defence doesn't really apply here. It was either murder or a terrible accident.

If this wasn't the umpteenth time the criminal justice system has failed an Indigenous family, maybe they would just write it off as bad luck and a slippery defense attorney. If only.

Sadly as I stated before, IF the witnesses would have been honest that charge may not have been laid.

The only people here who should look back and say they failed, is the people involved. Should we not make them accountable for their actions or is it all about the accused, if so why should he be held accountable?

Two reasons for my comment: One they were up to no good, yes should not die for that although play with fire sooner or later you get burnt. Secondly, they may have had other charges which might have resulted in a conviction if they were up front. Now in saying that it appears they had been drinking all day which would have impaired their judgement.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

JayByrd wrote:
Mark1111 wrote:What is a national shame is that our society is so far down the PC rabbit hole that we are afraid to point out to FN people that the problem starts at home. Discipline your kids to respect property and people. Not every FN or while kid finds himself stealing and trespassing. It’s called parenting. Stop blaming society.

Indigenous people are not blaming society for Colten Boushie's death. Colten was killed, a man was tried, came up with a ridiculous "it was an accident" excuse, and was acquitted. Was race a factor in Gerald Stanley's acquittal? Only someone who can look into the hearts of the judge and jury can really answer that. One more instance of an Indigenous community being patient, letting the system do it's thing, and being left with nothing. The "well, Colten Boushie shouldn't have been there" defence doesn't really apply here. It was either murder or a terrible accident.

If this wasn't the umpteenth time the criminal justice system has failed an Indigenous family, maybe they would just write it off as bad luck and a slippery defense attorney. If only.

The Criminal justice system has never failed whites, Asians, or other nationalities?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

And here is an interesting article - the magical gun
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ger ... -acquittal
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

vegas1500 wrote:

The Criminal justice system has never failed whites, Asians, or other nationalities?

EXACTLY!! Only someone attempting to play the race card (to get sympathy) would say something like "The justice system has failed an indigenous family". In fact I find the whole "Missing and murdered aboriginals" thing insulting to every other nationality found in Canada. Victims of all nationalities have unsolved cases across Canada and they deserve the same attention as any other group does.

Stat Canada:
- Aboriginals count for 25% of the Homicides in Canada (148 total in 2015 which is the highest since 2011)
- In 2015, police reported 604 incidents of homicide, the majority involving a single victim (95%) 98 were gang related
- In 2015, police reported solving 75% (451) of the total 604 reported homicides
- In Toronto, where Black people are 4% of the population, they account for as many as 40% of murder victims.
- Police reported solving 9 in 10 female homicides regardless of Aboriginal identity
- Between the years 1980 and 2014, police reported solving close to 9 in 10 (89%) homicides of Aboriginal female victims reported during this period. This is equal to the proportion of non-Aboriginal female homicides reported during this same time period that were solved.
- Of the total solved Aboriginal female homicides reported by police between 1980 and 2014, more than half (53%) were committed by family members (including current or former legally married spouses or common-law partners or other family members). In comparison, a slightly higher proportion (60%) of non-Aboriginal female homicides was committed by family members. In contrast, Aboriginal female homicides were committed by an acquaintance more often than non-Aboriginal female homicides (26% compared to 21%). The proportion of homicides committed by strangers was comparable for both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal females (8% compared to 10%)
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

says it all does it not
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Nedroj wrote:The Criminal justice system has never failed whites, Asians, or other nationalities?

EXACTLY!! Only someone attempting to play the race card (to get sympathy) would say something like "The justice system has failed an indigenous family". In fact I find the whole "Missing and murdered aboriginals" thing insulting to every other nationality found in Canada. Victims of all nationalities have unsolved cases across Canada and they deserve the same attention as any other group does.

Stat Canada:
- Aboriginals count for 25% of the Homicides in Canada (148 total in 2015 which is the highest since 2011)
- In 2015, police reported 604 incidents of homicide, the majority involving a single victim (95%) 98 were gang related
- In 2015, police reported solving 75% (451) of the total 604 reported homicides
- In Toronto, where Black people are 4% of the population, they account for as many as 40% of murder victims.
- Police reported solving 9 in 10 female homicides regardless of Aboriginal identity
- Between the years 1980 and 2014, police reported solving close to 9 in 10 (89%) homicides of Aboriginal female victims reported during this period. This is equal to the proportion of non-Aboriginal female homicides reported during this same time period that were solved.
- Of the total solved Aboriginal female homicides reported by police between 1980 and 2014, more than half (53%) were committed by family members (including current or former legally married spouses or common-law partners or other family members). In comparison, a slightly higher proportion (60%) of non-Aboriginal female homicides was committed by family members. In contrast, Aboriginal female homicides were committed by an acquaintance more often than non-Aboriginal female homicides (26% compared to 21%). The proportion of homicides committed by strangers was comparable for both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal females (8% compared to 10%)[/quote]

Those are just numbers, that can't be true. Trudeau should be shown those figures and then see if there is a need for NEW laws to protect certain minorities.
johnrae
Fledgling

Post by johnrae »

https://amp.reddit.com/r/canada/comment ... political/

The last 5 chiefs of Red Pheasant have been Larry Wuttunee, Stewart Baptiste, Charles Meechance, Sheldon Wuttunee, Clint Wuttunee.

Here are the people in the car:

Kiora Wuttunee-Campbell, daughter of Sheldon Wuttunee.

Eric Meechance, son or nephew of Charles Meechance

Colton Boushie, nephew of Stewart Baptiste

Cassidy Cross AKA Cassidy Cross-Whitestone, Aka Cassidy Wuttunee-Whitstone - Original reporting has him as Cassidy Wuttunee, and initial reporting had one of Clint's kids in the car. People assumed it was Kiora, but it's actually probably Cassidy

Belinda Jackson - seems to be no one.

Each chief mentioned, besides Larry, has been indicted a ton of times. Some of these charges may sound familiar; drunk driving leading to a suspended license, drunk driving on a suspended license, assault, poaching, fraud, and every single one of them has been indicted for corruption while in office, and booted from their position. Except Clint, Clint is currently being indicted for corruption. There are two chiefs mentioned who are literally in court right now heh. In fact, if you google each chief's name, you can see their kids frequently have warrants issued for assault, armed robbery, and rape.

All these chiefs are quoted as if they are not directly related to everyone in the car. All these chiefs are related, too. Red Pheasant has been spending a substantial percentage of their budget defending these corrupt chiefs since at least 2009. These scumbags rotate in and out of office.

Where have we seen corrupt chiefs kicking up a stink to distract from mismanagement on the band? cough Theresa Spence.

So, I would like to offer an alternative narrative. These adults were literally the most privileged people on the reserve. Each of their closely related parents / uncles have been indicted on similar crimes while they are the damned chiefs. Red Pheasant has been embroiled for nearly a decade trying to get these scumbags out of office. Clint is currently being indicted for corruption. Apparently the band is being drained by all these court cases.

And then along comes a distraction in the form of Boushie. It's wonderful. It gets the band to circle the wagons, and gets Clinton's name out of the news. I mean blame white people, that's the ticket, right?

When all the facts are presented, instead of the 'damned white people' narrative to blame for this incident, it appears Meechance, Wuttunee, Wuttunee, Boushie-Baptiste, are merely doing what their family does. Thieving drunk scumbags.

Meanwhile the people of Red Pheasant suffer, as the corrupt chiefs engage in a media dog and pony show to distract everyone.

Never let a good tragedy to to waste!

Oh and if you google each chief's name, it seems armed robbery and assault are a familial occupation. You can find a bunch of warrants and indictments for the members of this family on the internet. Given these details are not public record, but only show up when there are news articles, it's likely this is the tip of the iceberg."
johnrae
Fledgling

Post by johnrae »

"You forgot to mention that the dead guy's own girlfriend wouldn't show up to the witness stand. Didn't care enough, or had something to hide? "

johnrae
Fledgling

Post by johnrae »

[quote="Ken7"]Rob Feist, lawyer in North Battleford says this-

Gerald Stanley then claimed, holding the Tokarev in his right hand, he reached through the Boushie SUV’s driver side window with his left hand to try to turn off the ignition. (I encourage you to actually try this, on a vehicle, and think about why you would use your left hand to turn off a vehicle as opposed to switching hands and putting the firearm in your left. Motion it out. Using your left hand makes no sense, and is incredibly awkward.)

I am right handed, and when I reach through my truck window I will use my left hand to take the keys out every time. Its easier then trying to reach around the steering wheel.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

johnrae wrote:"You forgot to mention that the dead guy's own girlfriend wouldn't show up to the witness stand. Didn't care enough, or had something to hide? "

Trudeau should be given a hard copy of this. Wonder what his thoughts would be, likely the same as he also supports ISIS.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Not only that, to use your right arm, would force your body to turn your back on the assailant. Better to be able to see his face, and determine what he might do next.
We are splitting hairs here and acting as forensic analysis based upon only what has been read in newspapers and internet forums.
It doesn't matter what arm he used to take the keys. Whatever is argued in this forum makes one lick of difference to the outcome.
The drunk youths were determined to be wrong in their actions and the farmer was aquitted of the charges against him in a Canadian court of law.
Bring back the LIKE button.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

johnrae wrote:"You forgot to mention that the dead guy's own girlfriend wouldn't show up to the witness stand. Didn't care enough, or had something to hide? "

Cut her some slack, she’s moved on! [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

Why are you using Reddit comments as links like it's some remotely credible news source?

I have no idea whether the girlfriend was served a subpoena or not? Either way, this is left to lawyers and may even serve (as long as you're casting aspersions) further evidence of injustice, and I haven't quite decided in my own head yet how I feel about the verdict.

I do however believe there has been plenty of irregularities if we're discussing the way the evidence was handled and the family being treated badly.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Ken7 wrote:Part of the problem was, the Indiginous Jurors were making comments about how they would like to deal with the accused. This was brought into the court and therefore they were excluded. A juror has to be crossed by Defence and the Crown, if there is any reason to believe the individual will be bias there are dismissed. Both sides have that opportunity, it is that simple..

You are misinformed Ken7

Several Indigenous people were rejected by the defence during jury selection with what are called peremptory challenges.

“Peremptory challenges just are really asking lawyers to rely on their stereotypes about the person they see,” Jonathan Rudin, with Aboriginal Legal Services in Toronto, said....During jury selection, the Crown and defence are each given a set number of peremptory [in this case, 14] challenges and don’t have to give reasons for rejecting a potential juror. Lawyers can also “challenge for cause,” which involves a judge asking potential jurors pre-approved questions, including whether they may have a bias in the case."
https://country105.com/news/4016405/challenge-changes-jury-lists-indigenous-names-gerald-stanley-trial/

Return to “Canada”