East Indians need not apply

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: East Indians need not apply

Post by Catsumi »

theoldguy wrote:I should have added to my previous post that not only do large companies and institutions do reverse discrimination, so do all levels of government. When any Premier or Prime Minister states that he/she wants their cabinet to be made up of say 50% men and 50% women and visual minorities, this is pure and simple ... discrimination. If any political party says that when an election is called, their party will field say 50% of their candidates will be women or from minority groups, the local grass roots are being denied their choose of candidate from all those who want to run. Why do people stand up and complain about discrimination when a home owner, a land lord does it but happily accepts reverse discrimination when large companies, institutions and our governments do it. This is not fair in our society, you can not have different rules and guidelines as it pertains to various special interest groups. Yes, many groups have been mistreated in the past and we must work to correct those errors but all the changes has to apply to everyone or we are just lying to ourselves....

Theoldguy, you nailed it.

No one is seen going ballistic about this insidious form of selectivism.

Catri, OP, please step forward to claim your Castanet Coconut of the Month Award. Cheers, applause. :up:
Last edited by Catsumi on Feb 14th, 2018, 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Danielson99 wrote: steam cleaned and whatever you do to a mattress to freshen it up.

There wasn't a mention in the ad that the place was furnished and may not even have carpeting.
But point taken about the "odor"
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

theoldguy wrote:I should have added to my previous post that not only do large companies and institutions do reverse discrimination, so do all levels of government. When any Premier or Prime Minister states that he/she wants their cabinet to be made up of say 50% men and 50% women and visual minorities, this is pure and simple ... discrimination. If any political party says that when an election is called, their party will field say 50% of their candidates will be women or from minority groups, the local grass roots are being denied their choose of candidate from all those who want to run. Why do people stand up and complain about discrimination when a home owner, a land lord does it but happily accepts reverse discrimination when large companies, institutions and our governments do it. This is not fair in our society, you can not have different rules and guidelines as it pertains to various special interest groups. Yes, many groups have been mistreated in the past and we must work to correct those errors but all the changes has to apply to everyone or we are just lying to ourselves....

years ago when I was looking for work online (mid '90's to 2000), almost every ad, including Federal Government websites, had a disclaimer at the bottom of the ad. It read like this :

"Preference given to women and visible minorities."

Being a middle aged, white guy I felt discriminated against. But hey guess what? There is no such thing as reverse discrimination.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Danielson99 wrote:So without beating around the bush, what if this landlord simply did not want the smell associated with East Indian homes getting into his home?

Good Grief - please don't pop popcorn in any home then, the smell is hard to get rid of.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I should have added to my previous post that not only do large companies and institutions do reverse discrimination,

There is NO such thing as "reverse discrimination" PERIOD
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
theoldguy

Post by theoldguy »

MAPearce wrote:
I should have added to my previous post that not only do large companies and institutions do reverse discrimination,

Please educate yourself, maybe you should read a dictionary
https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... rimination

Definition of reverse discrimination
: discrimination against whites or males (as in employment or education)
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

MAPearce wrote:

reverse discrimination

(in the context of the allocation of resources or employment) the practice or policy of favoring individuals belonging to groups known to have been discriminated against previously.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

theoldguy wrote:
Please educate yourself, maybe you should read a dictionary

RVThereYet wrote:reverse discrimination

(in the context of the allocation of resources or employment) the practice or policy of favoring individuals belonging to groups known to have been discriminated against previously.

Are there any known cases where this was successfully held up in a court or tribunal?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

A poorly-vented cooking area means lingering odours. Why some people don’t use a working fan is a mystery. Also a mystery is why a landlord would not have proper venting.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

I believe that exterior venting is a requirement for a legal suite.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

phasyluck wrote:So he's brown and doesn't want brown students renting his availability? Seriously *bleep* cares haha..it's his choice in the end so I fail to see the problem with being upfront. But now it's not as racist is it :130:

Wow... Umm, gotta ask: Since when did racism exist on a sliding scale?

Let's say I were Southeast Asian -- am I not capable of being as racist toward other Southeast Asians as someone of Caucasian, South Asian, or Hispanic descent?
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

theoldguy wrote:Please educate yourself, maybe you should read a dictionary

A 1995 report published by the US Labour Department showed that between 1990 and 1994 there were less than 100 cases citing 'reverse discrimination' involving federal and appeals court decisions. Notably, the vast majority of these cases were found to be qithout merit, ie. Verdict: '*bleep*'.

Roughly 1 in 50, or 2%, involved Caucasian men alleging sexual, racial or national origin discrimination; even less were of Caucasian women charging racial discrimination.

Let's not allow this to distract from one of the glaring notations on the definition you provided: "First used, 1964".

Think of the ideas/values of the time for a minute.

Reverse Discrimination: est. 1964
Created BY whites, FOR whites?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

No surprise here. I've seen so much discrimination in Kelowna as reflected in help wanted ads and so forth. Wanted young person. Looking for waitress. I would say that most of you reading this our prejudice in one of or the other. Its that bad here. Americans? Blacks, Hispanics, all not as good as YOU. AYE?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Fancy wrote:Good Grief - please don't pop popcorn in any home then, the smell is hard to get rid of.

Sorry but there is no comparison. If there is to you, I accept that. People perceive senses differently.

I'm white. Personally I have no problem with an Ad stating 'no whites' or 'females only'. It's what the owner/landlord wants so why not look at it like he just saved you the time and effort of applying. A manager at Tim Hortons might have 15 male and 2 female employees and simply want to get some more feminine touch thrown into the work environment. I have no problem with him saying 'female only'.

We shouldn't be forcing a landlord or employer to hire/rent to a person he doesn't want. Let's stop being so overly sensitive and let the world function without putting stipulations on everything we do. This doesn't mean people can start calling people racist names or whatever, racism should never be tolerated.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

^^^ You may not be racist or prejudice, but you are ill informed. You may not have a problem with what you stated, but the law of Canada does. Period. You cannot hire based on sex, age, religion, ethnicity. So you are welcome to it not bothering you, but it doesn't matter, because the law disagrees with you and everyone like you.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.

Return to “Central Okanagan”