No parking at airport

Home of the traffic rant.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

No parking at airport

Post by TylerM4 »

Be wary of parking when taking a flight out of YLW. Went to take a flight last week and there was absolutely no parking at the airport except in the dropoff/pickup only zones.

No spots in the short term area. Long term area blocked off completely with a "Lot closed" sign. Parking a few blocks away isn't an option when visiting the airport.

Spoke to the attendant blocking the entrance to the long term parking lot. "Where the heck am I supposed to park?" I asked - he threw his hands in the air and recommended I use the valet parking service. "Make it their problem" he said. Got the last spot in the valet parking area and cost me an extra $15 but at least we made our flight. Good thing we were extra early. Hope they expand the parking ASAP!
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: No parking at airport

Post by alfred2 »

TylerM4 wrote:Be wary of parking when taking a flight out of YLW. Went to take a flight last week and there was absolutely no parking at the airport except in the dropoff/pickup only zones.

No spots in the short term area. Long term area blocked off completely with a "Lot closed" sign. Parking a few blocks away isn't an option when visiting the airport.

Spoke to the attendant blocking the entrance to the long term parking lot. "Where the heck am I supposed to park?" I asked - he threw his hands in the air and recommended I use the valet parking service. "Make it their problem" he said. Got the last spot in the valet parking area and cost me an extra $15 but at least we made our flight. Good thing we were extra early. Hope they expand the parking ASAP!

take a cab, cost you less and no problem finding a parking spot. :200:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

As the airport gets busier they may want to think about building up, instead of outwards i.e parkade
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:As the airport gets busier they may want to think about building up, instead of outwards i.e parkade

They are.

According to the latest stats, they're predicting that they'll need an extra 400 stalls for peak days by 2025.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Feb 14th, 2018, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

TylerM4 wrote:Be wary of parking when taking a flight out of YLW. Went to take a flight last week and there was absolutely no parking at the airport except in the dropoff/pickup only zones.

I flew out last Wednesday - parked in the Long term lot - took me 2 minutes to find a spot along the fence by the entrance. There was lots of empty stalls along the east end of the long term.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Feb 14th, 2018, 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Dizzy1 wrote:I flew out last Wednesday - parked in the Long term lot - took me 2 minutes to find a spot along the fence by the entrance. There was lots of empty stalls along the east end of the long term.

That wouldn't work as the OP said the entrance to long term was blocked with a sign "Lot closed"

Added: when I travel I don't take the risk of this happening so I pre-book a cab.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:
That wouldn't work as the OP said the entrance to long term was blocked with a sign "Lot closed"

No, I get that. Was just saying when I flew out that week, there was still lots of room in there. There's also an overflow parking long term lot on the other side of the old train tracks, along the highway.

February is a busy time for Sun Destinations - curious as to what day the OP flew out on.

Usually, during peak times (Christmas, etc.) I'll check YLW's FaceBook page for any advisories including parking.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Feb 14th, 2018, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:That wouldn't work as the OP said the entrance to long term was blocked with a sign "Lot closed"

Dizzy1 wrote:No, I get that. Was just saying when I flew out the week, there was still lots of room in there. There's also an overflow parking long term lot on the other side of the old train tracks, along the highway.

February is a busy time for Sun Destinations - curious as to what day the OP flew out on.

Usually, during peak times (Christmas, etc.) I'll check YLW's FaceBook page for any advisories including parking.

I bypass all that & go straight for a pre-booked cab, drops me off near the door... done & hassle free.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Just took a peek a boo on YLW's FB page ...

Kelowna International Airport - YLW
February 8 at 4:28pm ·
Parking Advisory: The long-term parking lot at YLW is now at capacity. Please follow the signs and parking attendants to the overflow parking lot.
Alternative transportation to the airport, like taxis and shuttles, is also encouraged: ylw.kelowna.ca/transportation

Amazing what a difference a day makes
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

alfred2 wrote:take a cab, cost you less and no problem finding a parking spot. :200:

I wish. Cab would cost me at least double.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

TylerM4 wrote:
alfred2 wrote:take a cab, cost you less and no problem finding a parking spot. :200:

I wish. Cab would cost me at least double.

A cab costs me $60+ each way (before tip) from the upper mission. The max weekly rate is $62. Only works to my benefit if I’m gone minimum 2 weeks.
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

Business opportunity for someone to do "Park 'n Fly" ??
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

kumazatheef wrote:Business opportunity for someone to do "Park 'n Fly" ??

Well, in order to make it successful, you'd have to offer a significant price drop than at the airport itself to make it attractive (seeing that full lots only happen a couple of weeks a year). So, unless the lot is full (which is rare), why would one want to park farther away and rely on a shuttle unless there is a significant savings? You'd have to run a shuttle every 15-20 minutes 24/7 - so given how far away the proposed lot would be - you'd need a few shuttles for sure.

Realistically, it wouldn't work - there'd be no to very little profit in it.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”