ICBC Insurance Rates by Area?

Home of the traffic rant.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

ICBC Insurance Rates by Area?

Post by Glacier »

I'm told you pay a different rate for insurance depending on where you live, but I'm wondering where I can find this information online? Someone said they moved from Lumby to Vernon and saved huge dollars on comprehensive because of the high probability of hitting a deer if you live in Lumby, but I thought they only had like 6 large zones in the province (such as Thompson-Okanagan, etc.).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: ICBC Insurance Rates by Area?

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:I'm told you pay a different rate for insurance depending on where you live, but I'm wondering where I can find this information online? Someone said they moved from Lumby to Vernon and saved huge dollars on comprehensive because of the high probability of hitting a deer if you live in Lumby, but I thought they only had like 6 large zones in the province (such as Thompson-Okanagan, etc.).

Yep its #2 on this list but no info explaining the $$$
http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/costs/Pages/Default.aspx
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote:I'm told you pay a different rate for insurance depending on where you live, but I'm wondering where I can find this information online? Someone said they moved from Lumby to Vernon and saved huge dollars on comprehensive because of the high probability of hitting a deer if you live in Lumby, but I thought they only had like 6 large zones in the province (such as Thompson-Okanagan, etc.).

This site says 14 areas
https://www.sapling.com/8692489/territory-insurance
I don't know how much you can trust the site as it also says one buying insurance in BC and wants to travel outside of BC needs insurance designated as area "Z"
The misinformation on the internet is astounding.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Isn't this one of the questions you're asked when you insure your vehicle? "Will you primarily be driving this vehicle in such and such area?"
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Dizzy1 wrote:Isn't this one of the questions you're asked when you insure your vehicle? "Will you primarily be driving this vehicle in such and such area?"

Sure is.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Dizzy1 wrote:Isn't this one of the questions you're asked when you insure your vehicle? "Will you primarily be driving this vehicle in such and such area?"

If there are only 14 zones or one "Thompson-Okanagan" zone, we are getting screwed up the goat aZZ because the less information the insurance knows about you, the more you pay (assuming you're a good driver in a good area, which, if you're smart enough to be on Castanet forums, you are).

In Ontario, insurance varies wildly within the same city depending on where you live.

The cheapest area to live in Toronto for car insurance is the Christie neighbourhood, where a married 35-year-old male with a clean driving record in a 2012 Honda Civic will pay $1,479 a year. The best available rate for the same driver in the most expensive area of Downsview would be $2,422.

Okay, so they take into account if you're married, male, etc. Do we do that? We should! IF WE KNEW what factors contribute to higher costs, say like smoking, oral sex while driving, etc., we would stop doing them to save money. If we pay the same rate while engaging in such high risk behavior, we are being subsidized by the low-risk people who will keep paying big premiums despite an almost zero % chance of ever getting in a car accident.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote:Okay, so they take into account if you're married, male, etc. Do we do that? We should! IF WE KNEW what factors contribute to higher costs, say like smoking, oral sex while driving, etc., we would stop doing them to save money. If we pay the same rate while engaging in such high risk behavior, we are being subsidized by the low-risk people who will keep paying big premiums despite an almost zero % chance of ever getting in a car accident.

The irony here is those criteria, marital status, gender, etc were things ICBC eliminated when they took over.

A couple you outlined, I assume that life insurance companies use, such as smoking is very relevant for that type of insurance, but doesn't / shouldn't for auto insurance.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

In Ontario you can get a discount for being a mature driver. You can also insure more than one vehicle on a policy and get a multi-vehicle discount.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

When I moved to the Center of the Universe (Vernon) ICBC surprised me all to hell when I advised them of addy change.

Whoo wooo! Insurance rate is lower for you, they said, to my open-mouthed incredulous face. Wasn't much $$$ to party with, but it was the thought that counted. :smt045
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 21st, 2018, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”