Summerland going solar?

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Summerland going solar?

Post by rustled »

I see. Then I stand by my first analysis: this is an irresponsible waste of the taxpayers' resources.

If it can't be used for infrastructure projects related to the way it was collected (because fixing roads, for example, is not "carbon neutral"), why not use it for something else that IS sensible?

Surely there are some carbon neutral but much-needed medical initiatives which would use this $$ to better advantage.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

rustled wrote:I see. Then I stand by my first analysis: this is an irresponsible waste of the taxpayers' resources.

Well the way government grants work is that it's not your tax payers paying, but 35 million tax payers across the country, so even though it might be a complete waste of money, Summerland tax payers aren't footing the bill, so they don't really care about that. Neither does the federal government either since they have money to burn on projects like this.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

rustled wrote: why not use it for something else that IS sensible?

Thanks for the chuckle. Government doing something sensible...you crack me up. :biggrin: [icon_lol2.gif] :laugh:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

I had no idea the gas tax had to be used on a "carbon neutral" project ?
Would a Rainbow Crosswalk be approved ?
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Glacier wrote:Because you don't get funding unless it's carbon neutral. I know because I've worked on projects like this. As soon as you say it's carbon neutral, you have Justin Trudeau and Catherine McKenna tripping over each other to give you money.

Gas tax grants do not need to be carbon neutral, federally. Provincially it might. It may help when applying for one though, especially in today's world and with the present provincial government.

http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/gtf-fte-eng.html

Every year, the GTF provides over $2 billion and supports approximately 2,500 projects in communities across Canada. Communities select how best to direct the funds with the flexibility to make strategic investments across the following 18 different project categories:

public transit
wastewater infrastructure
drinking water
solid waste management
community energy systems
local roads and bridges
capacity building
highways
local and regional airports
short-line rail
short-sea shipping
disaster mitigation
broadband and connectivity
brownfield redevelopment
culture
tourism
sport
recreation
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Glacier wrote:Because you don't get funding unless it's carbon neutral. I know because I've worked on projects like this. As soon as you say it's carbon neutral, you have Justin Trudeau and Catherine McKenna tripping over each other to give you money.

Glacier, a rare error on your part. Gas tax grants are not dependant on carbon neutral use. It's just a political slush fund.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

twobits wrote:Glacier, a rare error on your part. Gas tax grants are not dependant on carbon neutral use. It's just a political slush fund.

Correct. I misspoke. You don't need to be carbon neutral, but it sure helps in making the cut!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “South Okanagan”