Kirschner Mountain Flooding

artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Kirschner Mountain Flooding

Post by artistwithaflare »

Last edited by artistwithaflare on Apr 6th, 2018, 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just say it as it is!
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Kirschner Mountain Flooding

Post by Jflem1983 »

artistwithaflare wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/221737/We-have-it-under-control

The City of Kelowna says there are no storm sewers nearby....but the developer says he has it under control ? as long as it doesn't rain.
I say, its a mess and it could 'potentially' get worse! He cannot predict mother nature or the structure of the mountain. No one can or this would have never happened in the first place!

Looks like property values there will be dropping.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Why is the City of Kelowna involved? Is this not a Kirschner problem?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

the city would have approved the development so partially a city problem simple really
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

You take the trees out that hold the ground and the water. Build homes. Nothing to hold the water and the ground. This is the result.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

As always, municipal politics in the Okanagan is about getting the right candidates elected who will give the zoning to developers. As the cities push higher up onto the hills, expect more developments on slopes with trees removed, allowing a rapid snow melt and lots of runoff. Ditches for drainage?? Storm sewers?? Those are expensive for developers to put in and they cut into the bottom line. Engineers to design proper drainage charge a lot, too. And that reduces the profit.

Of course city hall should take some responsibility, but everybody's ducking.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Wow, you mean denuding a hillside and then building houses on it might cause drainage problems? Huh. Who would have ever thought of that?!

I think if I was living at the bottom of that hill, I'd take Mr. Kirschner's assurances that the mountainside isn't going anywhere with a healthy dose of skepticism.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

And living on a mountain persons affected probably never thought to get "flood" insurance. Hope they can band together and sue the developer for their losses in addition to their property values.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Judging from the video, it appears this particular area is in the beginning stages of ground work for future home sites, meaning infrastructure such as storm drainage has yet to be installed, but is a requirement of any new development. looks more like an unfortunate series of consequences - which it should be pointed out - the developer immediately deployed staff and equipment resources to remedy the situation as soon as was possible. I simply see a responsible reaction to an unfortunate weather-related event and no mention of not accepting responsibility by the developer - I'm quite certain his liability insurance adjuster has already been informed of the situation.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Catri wrote:Wow, you mean denuding a hillside and then building houses on it might cause drainage problems? Huh. Who would have ever thought of that?!

I think if I was living at the bottom of that hill, I'd take Mr. Kirschner's assurances that the mountainside isn't going anywhere with a healthy dose of skepticism.

FYI that hill is all rock, so there's zero grounds for that skepticism, which manifests itself quite regularly.

The contractor has taken responsibility, and immediate action, which is about all anyone can expect in such a situation.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

The 'flood victims' went public a week ago(Thurs.) and had to rely on getting their own sump pumps and help from the fire dept.
Last edited by artistwithaflare on Apr 6th, 2018, 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just say it as it is!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Where did they pump their water to? To the residents below them?
Bring back the LIKE button.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

uhoh raining pretty hard right now
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

alanjh595 wrote:Where did they pump their water to? To the residents below them?

I'm not sure where the nearest storm sewers would be in that area, but it mentions some is being hauled away by truck, and some being pumped onto Verde Vista, if I understood it right.

We're into another year where there's just a lot of snow that has to melt.

I know for example where I am, I've been here for 12yrs and there's a district owned hollow nearby, that for 10yrs stood empty and bone dry. Here and there after a heavy rain there might be a foot or so at the very bottom, but it would evaporate and drain away pretty quickly, within a day usually. Ever since last spring though, it has been a little lake, which hasn't dried up at all despite the dry summer, and I just checked it a few minutes ago and it's still a good 8' deep.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

snowing heeeavy now

Return to “Flood Watch 2018”