Humboldt Broncos Hockey Team Needs Prayers.

Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Humboldt Broncos Hockey Team Needs Prayers.

Post by Omnitheo »

Donations and actual aid actually do something. Prayers do not. I’m glad to see people helping, and not just offering hollow prayers.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

This is not the time to impose your atheism on others. Seriously, wrong.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Who is imposing atheism? This is about reality. There are some people still in the hospital, and our doctors will do their best to help them pull through. The others are gone. It’s sad. It’s tragic. But what can we actually do about it? Many have donated, myself included. There are actual things that we can do, and closing our eyes and talking to ourselves isn’t one of them.

Beyond that, are there solutions? Could the roads be made safer, could buses have seatbelts? Is this just a random tragedy that could occur at anytime? If so, then about all we can do is try to give support to the families. So let’s do that. Not wish for fairies or unicorns.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Reality is: you're being very insensitive to people in this thread. We all know what reality is. But right now, telling people what to believe spiritually and what not has no place in this thread. I can't believe GB and I both have to tell you. :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

ok after that insanely insensitive brainless nuttery, back to the topic at hand...a message posted to Facebook from Dr. Hassan Masri — one of the doctors who was at the scene when the young men and hockey staff were brought in to the hospital.

Last edited by The Green Barbarian on Apr 7th, 2018, 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I’m not telling anyone what to believe, I don’t care what they believe. I’m saying what will help. I’m not hiding behind some fairy tale. There is a difference between accepting fact, tragedy, and dealing with it, rather than pretending some magic will just make everything alright. “Hopes and prayers” are tossed around constantly. Usually to ignore reality. Look at all the good that hopes and prayers have done for every school shooting in the US. How about the hopes and prayers given out to drowned migrants trying to flee for their lives over the Mediterranean?

What the Humboldt Hockey team needs is actual support. Help for the families. Maybe someone in here actually honouring the players themselves. Talking of their achievements, what their hopes and dreams were. Not just the same “I’m praying for you. Now I can just go on with my life as usual”

I don’t see GB’s posts, but neither you nor zir need to tell me anything. If giving prayers helps you cope and feel better about yourself in the wake of a tragedy, by all means do that. But if you’re trying to get the help of others, or to work to learn from tragedy to prevent it in the future, then don’t ask for prayer. Ask what can be done instead.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Perhaps you should start another thread. the others have asked that the thread be for prayers. lets respect that. thank you.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

There are no words. :cry:

This just hits far too close to home, in far too many ways. So much so that I haven't been able to watch the reports or news stories.
After suffering our own horrific family loss several months ago, I can no longer say that I can't imagine what all of these families are going through. I know what they're going through, and it is nothing short of hell on earth.
And, the pain will only get worse, for right now they are all in shock. They will all need continued support for months to come.

It also hits home on many other levels as well.
I was a hockey mom for 20 years. All of my kids played.
I was a Jr hockey billet mom.
I also worked with our Jr A team and took many of those long road trips on the team bus.

Family, community, hockey. Many small towns in the prairies revolve around their junior teams.
The boys become part of the community; volunteering in schools and community events, teaching kids at hockey camps, living with their 'adopted families' 9 months of the year, going to school.
They are idols and heroes for all of the young hockey players in these towns.

An unimaginable tragedy that will greatly affect so many lives for a very, very long time

#Humboltstrong
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Omnitheo wrote:Who is imposing atheism? This is about reality. There are some people still in the hospital, and our doctors will do their best to help them pull through. The others are gone. It’s sad. It’s tragic. But what can we actually do about it? Many have donated, myself included. There are actual things that we can do, and closing our eyes and talking to ourselves isn’t one of them.

Beyond that, are there solutions? Could the roads be made safer, could buses have seatbelts? Is this just a random tragedy that could occur at anytime? If so, then about all we can do is try to give support to the families. So let’s do that. Not wish for fairies or unicorns.

It's really too bad people such as you, feel compelled to always hijack threads like this, and make an issue out of other people's beliefs, simply because you don't believe in religion, faith, or whatever. How about you stick to your "reality" and let other people cling to theirs.

Just who the heck are you, to attack something that provides comfort to many in times of distress?

FYI people are doing something above and beyond prayers, or there wouldn't be millions raised already.

I lived in that area for ten years, and am very familiar with the people there, are you? Are you aware that they are very close knit, supportive of each other like a big family, and yes very spiritual, and their faith plays a big role in their lives.

I started this thread with good intentions, and certainly not to watch you get up on your self righteous soapbox, so frankly if you have nothing good to say, or want to promote atheism, go do it somewhere else!

You have plenty of other threads to troll in.

Personal attack deleted
Last edited by TreeGuy on Apr 8th, 2018, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal Attack
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Triple 6 wrote:Perhaps you should start another thread. the others have asked that the thread be for prayers. lets respect that. thank you.

Thank you for that. :up:

Clearly the title wasn't obvious enough for that one.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

Omnitheo wrote:Indeed a terrible tragedy.

But what will prayers do?

seems like an innocuous question. and for someone who may believe in prayer (like Urb?) - youd think it would be an opportunity to express how and why it can be effective and why it is used. instead it becomes a grudge match and accusations of trolling. i agree with omni in regards to the fact that cold hard cash would be far more effective in a practical sense. and - i think that people can use "thoughts and prayers" as an excuse to be at arms length. so they dont have to go through the emotional toll supporting hurting people or investing in them. i grew up in church - and i can say that i have had that happen to me first hand. because of this i hope that people reflect on doing more than throwing out thoughts and prayers. i hope that people are motivated to show practical ways that they are putting thoughts and prayers in action. for example - this thread is a practical example that the motivation was more than just "thoughts and prayers". i also believe the next few weeks and months and years will have many examples of "practical" examples of support for the hockey team - families - and community. and in some cases our country. while the very intimate and personal action of genuine prayers will not be seen. which is great - and biblical.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

$2,947,597 of $4.0M goal
Raised by 43,596 people in 1 day
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We've all lost people, physically and emotionally. I can't think of anything better to post.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

oneh2obabe wrote:$2,145,072 of $4.0M goal
Raised by 31,796 people in 22 hours

WOW.....this is what can happen when people realize what really matters....very heartwarming... I have no doubt the next goal will be reached! Gotta love CANADA! I know there have been donations from people from outside Canada but I think they are truly Canadian "inside"!
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Off Topic
Last edited by TreeGuy on Apr 8th, 2018, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic

Return to “Canada”