Humboldt Broncos Hockey Team Needs Prayers.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Humboldt Broncos Hockey Team Needs Prayers.

Post by Fancy »

oneh2obabe wrote:The family of a Humboldt Broncos player from Lethbridge who was injured in a tragic bus crash Friday night says Logan Boulet is on life support – and will donate his organs to six people in need.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4130701/humb ... te-organs/

I hope parents take the opportunity to discuss this issue with their children.
The family said in a statement that Logan signed his donor card as soon as he turned 21, and that even in his passing he would be a hero.

6 matches - 6 people saved by Logan. Amazing tribute.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

$3,318,570 of $4.0M goal
Raised by 49,526 people
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Defencemen Adam Herold and Xavier Labelle and bus driver Glen Doerksen are among the 15 people killed after a bus carrying the Humboldt Broncos collided with a truck in Saskatchewan on Friday.

How awful. I pray for those still fighting for their lives.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#223141
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Ken7 wrote:It really doesn't change what we see...who really cares? We can all go to google and see that...

Personally it does not matter and it will not change the loss. If it's import to you...good for you! :cuss:

Yes, actually it does matter to me. Hundreds of people have been drastically affected, not to mention the 29 on the bus. It's a terrible tragedy.

If we don't learn (ie, determine what happened) and take corrective action, both perhaps physically with better warnings on the side roads, and then action against anyone who may have caused such a tragedy, to at least insure they aren't likely to do so again that is important.

The fact that I was looking at this terrible loss from the perspective of WHY and HOW sooner than some, doesn't make my concerns any less valid. The why and how are important for the obvious reasons because we need to lessen the chance of a repeat. You are understandably looking at if from the more emotional point of view "what's done is done, nothing can change that". Neither position is wrong, and both of us have the right to feel the way we do.

If you are going to say "well wait for the police to determine what happened", I'll point out this is a forum to discuss points of view, and opinions. If speculation and opinion in every event discussed in these forums were restricted to after the final outcome was determined by some authority, there wouldn't be much content, nor point for posting.

I think I have presented my opinion based on facts as they are available, and explained my conclusions based on those facts.

We are now seeing the headlines :

"Cause of Crash Not Known"
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#223106

"What Caused the Crash"
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#223127
Attachments
Hwy 35 int with 335.jpg
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Back to sending prayers - it has been noted that Westjet has done their bit to help the families. Good on them.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Update on WestJet efforts to support the Humboldt Broncos hockey community
By WestJetter | April 7, 2018

Update April 7, 17:30 MT
We have swapped a larger aircraft to operate the following WestJet flights on April 8:
WS459 Saskatoon to Calgary, departing at 11:00 a.m.
WS280 Calgary to Saskatoon, departing at 4:45 p.m.
WS279 Saskatoon to Calgary, departing at 7:30 p.m.
WS456 Calgary to Saskatoon, departing at 8:00 p.m.

https://blog.westjet.com/update-westjet ... community/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

removed.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

oneh2obabe wrote:Update on WestJet efforts to support the Humboldt Broncos hockey community
By WestJetter | April 7, 2018

The folks posting that want to help by donating their points - good on them as well.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Fancy wrote:6 matches - 6 people saved by Logan. Amazing tribute.

as someone who has had a family member saved by a transplant, I have to say that it was heart-warming to see the thoughts and prayers of these six families being answered. In a time of such great sorrow, it helps to see at least there were some lives saved as a result. This young man is a hero indeed.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Fancy wrote:
How awful. I pray for those still fighting for their lives.

and please keep praying. I am sure the families appreciate it.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

For those sending thoughts and prayers, here's some actual names of families to include.

Fifteen people were killed and 14 others injured in a horrific crash involving the Humboldt Broncos hockey team. Here is some information about some of those who died:

———

Tyler Bieber:

Bieber worked for Humboldt radio station CHBO and often travelled with the team as its play-by-play radio announcer.

Steven Wilson, a co-worker in Weyburn, Sask., said it was Bieber's first season announcing for the team. He also covered morning news.

"He definitely had a natural talent," said Wilson. "He was just passionate about sports."

Wilson said he filled in a few times for Bieber because he was also busy coaching the Humbolt high school's basketball and football teams.

———

Glen Doerksen:

Doerksen is described by his employer, Charlie's Charters, in a Facebook post as an "outstanding friend, husband, and father."

"In talking to him, he spoke at length of his time in rinks with his own family and now how much he enjoyed being able to take and watch other teams from minor, to senior to SJHL to their hockey games," the Kinistino Tigers wrote of Doersken, who drove their team to and from playoff games.

"We will never forget the smile on your face as we left Allan after winning the Championship and got you to give 'two honks for the Cup.' Tonight Glen, we give two honks for you. Rest easy Sir."

———

Darcy Haugan:

The head coach of the Humboldt Broncos was described in online tributes as a "great man" and amazing mentor to young players.

"He will always be a great man in our hearts," his sister posted on Twitter under the name Debbie Jayne. "The tears just keep coming."

Before becoming a coach, he played junior hockey in the league in the 1990s.

Steven Wilson, a radio play-by-play announcer in Weyburn, Sask., called Haugan "the classiest guy" in the league who always had time to chat.

He said the last time he saw Haugan, the coach was playing video games in his office with one of his two young sons.

"He was very dedicated to his family and at the same time he was a hockey guy."

Wilson said Haugan's wife, Christina George-Haugan, worked as the team's office manager.

___

Adam Herold:

The youngest member of the team, Herold would have turned 17 this week.

He was also a new member of the team — up until a few weeks ago, Herold was captain of the Regina Pat Canadians, manager John Smith said. But when the Regina team's season wrapped up, Herold was sent to join the Broncos for their playoff round.

"He was a wonderful young man. Never afraid to help his teammates. Always there for them. Good, typical Saskatchewan farm boy. Always load the bus, unload the bus, never afraid to roll up his sleeves and get work done," Smith said.

Smith said Herold is survived by his mom, dad and an older sister.

___

Brody Hinz:

The 18-year-old Hinz had recently started tallying the Broncos' numbers for Humboldt radio station CHBO.

"Brody had recently joined our Golden West family, mentored by Tyler and the Bolt FM team," Lydon Frieson, president of Golden West Radio, said in a statement posted on the station's website.

"Tragedy has hit our community and it reaches into every corner of life in Humboldt."

Another company statement described Hinz as an intern still in high school.

The night of the crash marked a double tragedy for the family. A relative said on Facebook that another family member lost a baby boy in Humboldt hospital shortly after he was born.

___

Logan Hunter:

Hunter's death was confirmed by his former team, the St. Albert Raiders in his Alberta hometown.

The organization's president, Kevin Porter, said he heard the news from Hunter's mother.

"He always had a smile on his face," said Porter, who described Hunter as a "smart kid and a great hockey player" with a "great sense of humour."

___

Jaxon Joseph:

The Edmonton native's death was confirmed by the Surrey Eagles, his former team in the British Columbia Hockey League.

The Broncos website says Joseph, who was 20 years old, was among the leading scorers in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League playoffs, playing on a line with Logan Schatz, another player who lost his life in the crash.

In a profile published on the team's website in January, Schatz paid tribute to Joseph and fellow linemate Conner Lukan.

"I’ve really clicked with Joseph and Lukan. I can’t say enough good things about them," Schatz said.

___

Xavier Labelle:

Isaac Labelle eulogized his 18-year-old brother in an Instagram post Saturday.

"I have no words to describe what I'm feeling. Best friends, teammates, allies, brothers," he wrote. "We've been through so much together. We had a special bond from the day you were born."

"I’m going to miss you bro. I’ll always remember you and who you were will influence me for the rest of my life."

A defenceman, Xavier Labelle was a native of Saskatoon.

___

Logan Schatz:

The team captain had played for the Broncos for just over four years and had served as team captain for the past 2 1/2 years, his father Kelly Schatz said.

The native of Allan, Sask., played centre and was named the league's player of the month in February after earning points in eight of nine games. He was 20 years old.

Kelly Schatz said his family is seeking solace in one another.

"It's hard," Kelly Schatz said. "I've got four other kids and they're here, which is nice."

___

Stephen Wack:

The 21-year-old defenceman was one of the victims of the crash, his cousin Alicia Wack confirmed. He had played with the Broncos for two seasons.

Wack said her cousin made the best gingerbread houses and "absolutely lived and breathed hockey."

"Stephen has always been an amazing person, son, big brother, and cousin. He is one of the most adventurous, ambitious, and loving people that I have ever been blessed to know," she said in a Facebook post.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

The "it could have been my team/my kid" factor makes this very personal for anyone who is or has been connected to the sport. As a junior hockey broadcaster myself, the notion that "one of us" could be killed in the line of performing his/her duties frankly had never occurred to me until this week. And even two provinces away, I know of at least two local junior players who had former teammates on the Humboldt bus. It really does reach out like a spider web of grief and destruction.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

JayByrd wrote:The "it could have been my team/my kid" factor makes this very personal for anyone who is or has been connected to the sport. As a junior hockey broadcaster myself, the notion that "one of us" could be killed in the line of performing his/her duties frankly had never occurred to me until this week. And even two provinces away, I know of at least two local junior players who had former teammates on the Humboldt bus. It really does reach out like a spider web of grief and destruction.

even the sedins commented about the "could have been us" safety angle. fortunately for them they have only fond memories of the 15 hour bus trips. i think its important to remember that this was a simply a very unfortunate event. and that this doesnt happen very often at all.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Never dwelled on the what ifs when travelling either by team bus or personal vehicle. There have been some bad weather situations that made driving iffy and that remains to be seen in this case. I do hope these young men that recuperate enough to get back playing the game they love do so without feeling overwhelmed. Accidents do happen and sometimes the saying "There by the grace of God go I" is applicable.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Curtis Zablocki, assistant commissioner of the Saskatchewan RCMP, addressed media at an emotional news conference at Humboldt Multiplex Saturday afternoon.

He told media and community members that the semi was travelling west along Highway 335 and the Broncos bus was travelling north along Highway 35 around 5 p.m. Friday when they collided. He said it’s too early to speculate on the cause of the crash.

“Our investigators will be looking to all aspects of this collision to determine exactly what took place. This is a very involved investigation,” he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/s ... spartanntp

I have seen reports that it was the semi that was supposed to be yielding to a stop sign but if the Semi was traveling west on 335 it would have to be the team bus that was subject to the stop sign, as per Google maps it's highway 35 traffic that has the stop sign at that intersection. Also, if the semi was coming from the east, the bus driver should have had a clear view as it would have been coming from his right, not his left. If the semi had been coming from the west, the stand of trees might have played a role, but as it stands right now it would appear that the bus driver must not have seen the semi coming from the east and rolled out into the intersection? I am not looking to blame anyone here, just trying to grasp how this could have happened.

Return to “Canada”