Go Fund Me - donating for tragic events

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
davis123
Board Meister

Go Fund Me - donating for tragic events

Post by davis123 »

With the tragic accident last Friday that has everyone donating towards the hockey team it got me thinking what about the tragic accidents that do not make the headlines, say a 15 year old girl dying in a car accident, nobody 'funds' her family, they use insurance or whatever means they have. Same goes for the Fort McMurray fires, there was a massive amount of donations but what about a single family home going up in flames last weekend in some random town that doesn't make the headlines?

As far as life insurance most people only carry enough on their children to have a funeral, so why would anyone else need hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars when their child dies and the accident made huge headlines? I guess I don't understand why the donations are even necessary, most have insurance to deal with tragic events. So why do people feel the need to donate when the insurance status is unknown and the family may already be in line to receive an insurance payout? I would completely understand if one of the families didn't have insurance and they need some help then by all means we should all help if we can, but when we don't know their financial status why the donations?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Go Fund Me - donating for tragic events

Post by Fancy »

It can take quite some time for insurance to kick in. There will be those who will require a lifetime of help that could easily bankrupt someone.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

There actually was a gofundme for the family who's house burned down (if you're talking about the one on Springfield).

I see your point, but alas nobody is forcing anyone to donate. Naturally this event with the hockey team will garner substantial financial support and hopefully the money is responsibly spent.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

anyone can start a go fund me page
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

gman313 wrote:anyone can start a go fund me page

And it is totally up to anyone whether they support it or not. (just as Fancy said)

Some of the ones I have heard about just make me go ummm why. :135:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There's quite a few within the Kelowna area - some have been going for months without a single donation.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

davis123 wrote:With the tragic accident last Friday that has everyone donating towards the hockey team it got me thinking what about the tragic accidents that do not make the headlines, say a 15 year old girl dying in a car accident, nobody 'funds' her family, they use insurance or whatever means they have. Same goes for the Fort McMurray fires, there was a massive amount of donations but what about a single family home going up in flames last weekend in some random town that doesn't make the headlines?

As far as life insurance most people only carry enough on their children to have a funeral, so why would anyone else need hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars when their child dies and the accident made huge headlines? I guess I don't understand why the donations are even necessary, most have insurance to deal with tragic events. So why do people feel the need to donate when the insurance status is unknown and the family may already be in line to receive an insurance payout? I would completely understand if one of the families didn't have insurance and they need some help then by all means we should all help if we can, but when we don't know their financial status why the donations?

15 people died, some of those might not even have the money or insurance for a funeral. Those are the ones less in need of financial help. But 15 or so went to hospital with injuries, some severe. Those people don't likely have tens or hundreds of thousands of insurance that it will cost for rehab. Some might cost millions for rehab, a parent being off work indefinitely. ///Vehicle insurance may reimburse for some of that, probably not all.

The reason there are massive donations for something like the Fort Mac fire is because you have, hundreds of victims losing everything. Insurance will reimburse for some part of that, but not likely all of it. So once you divide up a few million for hundreds of people needing a substantial amount, it becomes a welcome relief. It does not bring back everything, but just helps with the recovery. The lone person who ends up in a car accident certainly can start a Go Fund Me, that;s one of the purposes of it.

"Humboldt Broncos defenceman Ryan Straschnitzki has underwent a successful 7-hour surgery on his broken back but is paralyzed from the chest down and will likely never walk again.

Straschnitzki is not letting this deter him from continuing to chase his hockey dream however and he plans to take up sledge hockey.

“He keeps wanting to try and move his legs, of course, because he wants to go back skating,” his father, Tom, told the Calgary Herald. “He just looked at me and his mother and he goes, ‘well, I’m gonna get onto the Olympic sledge hockey team.’"
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Apr 9th, 2018, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I would love to join this conversation, but I'm not sure if now is the appropriate time. I'll be back to this thread in a month to add my two cents.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I tried already and got the off topic boot..so i guess you have to wait. always interesting on who is deemed more worthy of funds then others. especially in the last couple of days
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

People are being good human beings when they donate for tragic events. For whatever reason, some events resonate with certain people or groups of people and get more attention. They may not give to the cause you see as being better or more deserving, but they're doing a good thing and that's something to be respected.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I'm curious about the disbursement of funds- especially when it gets into the millions of dollars.
There doesnt appear to be any regulatory body governing the integrity of it.
Nor does there appear to be any guideline to disburse it in any equitable fashion when its going to numerous recipients.

Remember someone who a few winters ago rented a prominent piece of public land from the city under the guise of disbursing the proceeds amongst various people struck by calamity. Not one of them received a dime and there were no repercussions.
Consider the ramifications when someone of a similar moral caliber has 7 million dollars at their disposal.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

The chief executive officer of the crowdfunding site, GoFundMe, answers questions related to disbursement of funds.

Q: How do you ensure the funds will be used for their stated purpose?

A: In the case of the big campaign, we are in touch with the president of the Humboldt Broncos club and we are working with them to figure out the best way to have them disperse the funds in a fair manner. That will take a few days to figure out the best practices. We are working closely with them. We also have a lot of expertise based on other tragedies that have occurred and we have worked with many different organizations to make sure funds are dispersed properly.

Q: Who is responsible for ensuring the funds get to where they are needed?

A: We work upfront with the campaign organizer, we then try before any funds are released [to] get a plan from the organizer as to how the funds are going to be dispersed. According to that plan, the onus is upon the campaign organizer and the Broncos organization and others involved to make sure it happens in a fair way, and we work very closely to make sure that happens.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/g ... -1.4613118
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

There is still no regulatory body involved.
And a ton of money.
Much onus goes to the campaign organizer, who could be anyone.
Which is exactly my point.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If the funds can't be dispersed as required, everyone gets refunded.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bsuds wrote:
gman313 wrote:anyone can start a go fund me page

And it is totally up to anyone whether they support it or not. (just as Fancy said)

Some of the ones I have heard about just make me go ummm why. :135:

exactly
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Social Concerns”