Sask. Bus Accident

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Humboldt Broncos Hockey Team Needs Prayers.

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I was speaking with someone today who is friends with a truck-driver who has driven that highway, and the truck driver admitted that he once blew that stop sign without thinking too. He was just lucky that there was no on-coming traffic and he went right through without any consequence. Not sure what it is about that corner. The first thing I would do is chainsaw down all of those trees on that corner.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Sask. Bus Accident

Post by vinnied »

Out of respect for the family and friends of those that lost there lives and those that will have years of rehabilitation. And also those that want to show there support,and are posting in the other thread. I am starting a new thread which we can talk about the accident itself. More and more people are starting to talk about it, and I came across this news story and thought id could share it. IMO the last paragraph sums it up
https://globalnews.ca/news/4140906/humb ... es-emerge/

"When the Broncos bus passed through the intersection northbound on Highway 35, it would have had the right of way. The semi-trailer would have had to stop at a stop sign with flashing lights before crossing the highway. A stand of trees on the southeast corner of the intersection limits visibility of the approach on both roads."

It was originally stated that it was believed the semi t-boned the bus, however the pictures that have been released would most likely show it to be the other way around. Everyone is waiting for the final answer from the accident investigation team, But id like to hear what others think.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Sask. Bus Accident

Post by GordonH »

impo based on images of accident scene.
I'd say the Semi driver took a risk that no one was heading north.
He blew though stop sign, and because the tractor of semi was relatively undamaged. The collision was between the bus & semi trailer, my reasoning is from how the peat moss bails are scattered away from intersection.

Just my personal theory
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Thank you for that GordonH.
in the news article it stated that the truck driver is claiming the sun was in his eyes. Also IMO, by saying that hes admitting to blowing through that stop sign. If in fact the sun was in his eyes, that would have no bearing to him looking north and south to see if there was any traffic coming if he was at a complete stop.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

vinnied wrote:Thank you for that GordonH.
in the news article it stated that the truck driver is claiming the sun was in his eyes. Also IMO, by saying that hes admitting to blowing through that stop sign. If in fact the sun was in his eyes, that would have no bearing to him looking north and south to see if there was any traffic coming if he was at a complete stop.

Sun in his eyes does not explain why he missed warning sign of stop sign ahead. Your right vinned about that sunlight not being blinding looking south or north if he was stopped properly at the stop sign.
That treed area is cut back more than enough to have a very clear view south if stopped. Added being in Semi the driver sits higher up (regular vehicles ie cars & pickups), so view south or north would even better.
Last edited by GordonH on Apr 12th, 2018, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Yes, it was initially reported that the tractor-trailer t-boned the bus but the pictures clearly tell a different story. The front of the tractor is undamaged while the front of the bus is completely gone. The first trailer just forward of the wheels shows impact damage on the left hand side. It is quite clear the bus hit the truck.

Having said that, the north/south road the bus was travelling north on did not have a stop sign while the east/west road the truck was heading west on did have a stop sign with a red light above it so its hard to imagine a scenario where the truck driver isn't at fault. He may not have been physically injured in the collision but I'm sure he is very traumatized and he will have to live with this for the rest of his life.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

If the sun was in his eyes he may not have even seen the stop sign and red light and therefore didn't even attempt to stop or slow down?

That east/west road is straight as an arrow for many miles with very few cross roads.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Jx3 wrote:Yes, it was initially reported that the tractor-trailer t-boned the bus but the pictures clearly tell a different story. The front of the tractor is undamaged while the front of the bus is completely gone. The first trailer just forward of the wheels shows impact damage on the left hand side. It is quite clear the bus hit the truck.

Having said that, the north/south road the bus was travelling north on did not have a stop sign while the east/west road the truck was heading west on did have a stop sign with a red light above it so its hard to imagine a scenario where the truck driver isn't at fault. He may not have been physically injured in the collision but I'm sure he is very traumatized and he will have to live with this for the rest of his life.

Exactly, if the truth does or does not come out. The Semi driver knows that truth & either way will have to live with that knowledge.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Jx3 wrote:If the sun was in his eyes he may not have even seen the stop sign and red light and therefore didn't even attempt to stop or slow down?

That east/west road is straight as an arrow for many miles with very few cross roads.

If one uses google street heading east prior to the crossroad of hwy 35, there is warning sign of a stop sign ahead, there would be the same heading west.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Bus T-boned the first trailer behind the tractor is the correct answer. I have been waiting for news reports to STOP saying the truck hit the bus. Again, the media could not look at the numerous photos of the accident scene and figure this out?

The police investigation will no doubt read that the truck went through the stop sign and that the sun played a part in the driver not seeing the stop sign. From a news report it was stated that the driver only worked for the company for a month. This could very well have been his first trip on this highway and was unfamiliar with the surroundings.

Such a sad result for all involved.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

lesliepaul wrote:. From a news report it was stated that the driver only worked for the company for a month. This could very well have been his first trip on this highway and was unfamiliar with the surroundings.

Another story
https://www.google.ca/amp/canoe.com/new ... a8e117/amp
to me it sounds like he has been there before, but choose a different route for some reason.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Thanks for your input everyone.
An interesting bit from the story I originally post talks about the sun and how high it was in the sky 45 minutes after the accident
“It’s a beautiful sunny day, no snow, the roads are dry and the police officer told us the fella claimed the sun was in his eyes,” Thomas said. “We were [there] 45 minutes after the accident and that sun was still high enough to not be in someone’s eyes.”

ive found a photo of the stop signs. Its on a light pole, along with a flashing warning light. also prior to the stop signs there would be warning signs as well. Remember there have been deaths here before, so they tried to make it as clear as possible. another thing I noticed is the sun viser on the truck.
sign8888.jpg
1Untitled.jpg
2Untitled.jpg

What I dont understand, is if in fact he did blow through the sign accidentally or not, why not just say so to the accident investigators
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

lesliepaul wrote:Bus T-boned the first trailer behind the tractor is the correct answer. I have been waiting for news reports to STOP saying the truck hit the bus. Again, the media could not look at the numerous photos of the accident scene and figure this out?

The police investigation will no doubt read that the truck went through the stop sign and that the sun played a part in the driver not seeing the stop sign. From a news report it was stated that the driver only worked for the company for a month. This could very well have been his first trip on this highway and was unfamiliar with the surroundings.

I read another article interviewing someone that was one of the first on scene. They’d spoken with one of the officers who stated that there was no way the sun was at the right place in the sky at the time of the accident to have been a factor.

Regarding who hit who, one of the survivors said he’d heard the bus driver screaming and slamming on the brakes. That sounds exactly like someone trying to avoid hitting a truck that had blown a stop sign.
johnrae
Fledgling

Post by johnrae »

shawn7231

Post by shawn7231 »

I am a truck driver as well i been all over canada and the US
And always in areas i dont know but never had problems
Im gonna be honest here listen to the owner of the company speak
All he is concern about is no truck no work like who cares what about what happend to the players and family he makes it out like what about me and when asked about his friend that drove the truck proberly wasent even trained properly sorry i had to speak my mind
But if you truly listen to his video he is concern about him and his trucks guess what i dont care
So many of them dont even know how to drive and hundreds have been giving fake class 1 and our goverment never done nothing
Some of them never step in side of a truck and they got a class 1 but its fake

I feel so much for the players and all family members that has been affected by this my thoughts are with them all

Return to “Canada”