2018 play by play Mill Creek flood forum

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: 2018 play by play Mill Creek flood forum

Post by Grandan »

Jflem1983 wrote:Only took one good rain last year. Creecks do not get properly dredged due to enviro nuts.

Flood plains are occupied by cities.

Ahhh planning to fail

I have noticed extensive cleaning of the creek banks at both Dilworth and Sexsmith Roads as though to prepare for much water.
Amazing the control that one department has over another at the city.
Waste not
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Oh dear.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

2 days of much higher temps followed by 2 days of rain.

Capture.JPG
Bring back the LIKE button.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

alanjh595 wrote:2 days of much higher temps followed by 2 days of rain.

Sure. But not much rain. Maybe 10 mm on Sunday.

Love that Zepplin song you posted. Enjoy hearing their blues influence.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Steve-O wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:2 days of much higher temps followed by 2 days of rain.

Sure. But not much rain. Maybe 10 mm on Sunday.

Love that Zepplin song you posted. Enjoy hearing their blues influence.

Maybe only 10mm here, but what about what happens up in the mountains could be a lot more and the system could stall and stay longer than what we are expecting here at the airport.
I don't know, I am not a weather expert, just a concerned resident.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Then there is this:
Every tree along the creeks edge is being removed
All this destruction in an attempt to minimize the possibility of flooding. It was not the big old willow trees that caused last years flooding. Lots of rain, a quick snow melt and a lake that had not being drained off early enough to avert the situation are the reasons. Is it "nature" or "man/woman" that is responsible? By the looks of it these decision makers have called an all out war on "nature" to save "men's/women's" properties.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#224763
Waste not
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

I have to wonder if removing the habitat for the homeless that camp in that area was one of the reasons for the tree removal.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

OldBlindDog wrote:I have to wonder if removing the habitat for the homeless that camp in that area was one of the reasons for the tree removal.

Those trees have 2 sides:
1) possible cause of blockage & water backup
2) gave stability to creeks banks (once trees are removed, creek bank erosion can/will happen).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

Grandan wrote:Then there is this:
Every tree along the creeks edge is being removed
All this destruction in an attempt to minimize the possibility of flooding. It was not the big old willow trees that caused last years flooding. Lots of rain, a quick snow melt and a lake that had not being drained off early enough to avert the situation are the reasons. Is it "nature" or "man/woman" that is responsible? By the looks of it these decision makers have called an all out war on "nature" to save "men's/women's" properties.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#224763

City scalped all the huge, historic trees along Sutherland/creek too and it looks horrible! :-X Creek was not widened so not sure why the trees got decimated? but the squirrels are pretty *bleep* off.
Just say it as it is!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

After a spring 2017 that saw Mill Creek overflow its banks for more than a month, City of Kelowna crews have been working hard preparing for similar water levels this year.

This week, trees have been removed from beside the creek near Parkinson Rec Centre, to allow for increased water flow.

“There's been so many trees growing within the creek channel itself and it's impeding the flow of the creek and it slows it down and we just don't have the capacity that we once did or that should be in there,” said Alan Newcombe, director of infrastructure planning with the City of Kelowna.

“So we're just trying to restore the capacity so it has the ability to take the high flows when they come.”

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... flood-prep

If the Eastern grey squirrels lose their home, I won't be crying about it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

OldBlindDog wrote:I have to wonder if removing the habitat for the homeless that camp in that area was one of the reasons for the tree removal.

Such an expensive undertaking to run the homeless from the area would be not approved by city council without input from the residents and subjected to a public forum/study first. The removal of the debris is a necessity to protect the best interests of Kelowna residents and for the protection of damages caused by an "act of dog/atmospheric irregularities".
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I was at the "Shady Rest Fish and Chips shop" the same day they were working on the creek directly behind. You should have seen how many shopping carts were recovered from the creek.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

oldtrucker wrote:It was intense. It was dangerous. I barely survived. It was the 2017 Mill Creek flood south of the airport.
I, 'oldtrucker' will bravely be putting my life at risk to bring you up to the minute, nail biting inch by inch reporting on the water level and the upcoming 2018 Mill Creek spring flood. Will it flood again? Will we be saved from the carnage like what happened in 2017? Will 'oldtrucker' finally get washed away and not be able to post on Castanet forums anymore?
Stay informed.
Stay tuned...

Thank you for your 1st hand observations and keeping all the rest of us informed. :130:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

GordonH wrote:

Those trees have 2 sides:
1) possible cause of blockage & water backup
2) gave stability to creeks banks (once trees are removed, creek bank erosion can/will happen).

I had the same thought, what the????

And it looks awful. And why remove trees which are sucking up the water? why? :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

It certainly was an idiotic decision. I hope that the banks can withstand the loss of all those tree roots.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson

Return to “Flood Watch 2018”