"Let's push them back and take back our town"

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: "Let's push them back and take back our town"

Post by bob vernon »

Not in PG? Which parts of town did you look in? PG is a notorious place for gang activity and hard drugs and the resulting homelessness. The homeless in PG do have a lot more shelters than we do here in the Okanagan. Just cuz the northern cities are redneck doesn't mean they don't have issues.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

bob vernon wrote:Not in PG? Which parts of town did you look in? PG is a notorious place for gang activity and hard drugs and the resulting homelessness. The homeless in PG do have a lot more shelters than we do here in the Okanagan. Just cuz the northern cities are redneck doesn't mean they don't have issues.

Didnt see it like I see it everyday here in Vernon. PG isnt having the same issues with the opiod criss like here in the Okanagan
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I was up in PG last month. It's the same up there as it is here. Maybe worse because the traffic of hard drugs to all the north of the province passes through PG and there are feuding gangs always fighting for control. This narrative that the sky is falling in Vernon has some political motivation, I believe. It's a municipal election year.

https://pgdailynews.ca/index.php/2017/1 ... this-year/
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

That link is from last November. 18th deaths at that point. That's peanuts compared to the Okanagan. I bet there's been 18 in 1 month.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Gixxer wrote:That link is from last November. 18th deaths at that point. That's peanuts compared to the Okanagan. I bet there's been 18 in 1 month.

You would lose that bet.

Vernon had 17 od deaths in the first 10 months of 2017
Kelowna had 60 deaths in all of 2017

A far cry from 216 you suggested, hell, Vancouver "only" had 300

https://*bleep*.ca/newsitem/vernon-judg ... is/it49895

https://globalnews.ca/news/3979853/b-c- ... s-in-2017/
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Right Vernon with almost half the population of PG had 1 less death than PG.

:dash:
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Are any deaths really ok?
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Gixxer wrote:When I worked up in northern towns like Fort St John, Dawson Creek, and PG I didnt seen a homeless/druggie situation like there is here.

Our weather has everything to do with the homeless situation.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Go here. Take note of some numbers in a few cities.

http://homelesshub.ca/community-profile ... nce-george
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Didnt see it like I see it everyday here in Vernon. PG isnt having the same issues with the opiod criss like here in the Okanagan

well let me tell you they have more than plenty of opioid issues in Prince George
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

I never said PG didn't have a homeless a problem. I said I didnt see it as bad as it is here in the Okanagan.

Maybe its the size difference of the 2 cities.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Want some more examples? Williams Lake and Quesnel, along with Prince George. The numbers of homeless up there is largely hidden, especially in the winter. But it is more than most people would think. These resource towns like to portray themselves as so righteous and don't have a homeless/drug problem. In the summer there is a migration of homeless into those towns from smaller centres and reserves, attracted by easier access to drugs and alcohol. Take a look at Boitano Park in Williams Lake, right behind the BC Liquor store. But don't go there after dark. Or along the shore of the lake. In Quesnel and PG the bush along the river has a lot of homeless. The river makes a great sewer and garbage dump.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

I dont know its just seems more prevalent and out in the open here. To me it feels like the entire downtown core has been taken over. Every other day there's news of crime, dirty syringes, and a new homeless camp popping up.
PocoGirl

Post by PocoGirl »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#225259
I applaud this effort 100%. No 11 year old should have to be afraid to be a kid! This continues to get worse. Get rid of the Methadone Clinic where Vernon has become a magnet for drug addicts, get rid of a weak Council and Mayor and clean up what used to be a community that gave a s**t. Oh wait, it must be like Government tv ads saying ‘it’s your cousin, sister, brother, etc” who are shooting up at home and discarding their needles in parks and public places. Vernon council, Mayor, City By-laws AND Interior Health, get a freakin backbone and clean up the mess you created. Bleeding hearts, you’re part of this out of control problem :swear: . My compassion, empathy and respect for any enablers is done.There is absolutely no respect for the public who are funding these idiots, much less the addicts who have no respect for those funding their habit. Why would I have any respect for them? Bring it on bleeding hearts. I’m done with the :cuss:
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

There it is. The blame for the ills of an entire society being placed at the feet of a local city council. Complete with the phrase "bleeding hearts" being used not once, but twice. The narrative that Vernon is worse than anywhere else has, I believe, some political motivation. The fall municipal campaign has begun.

ALL cities have the problem of drug addiction. The solution should be education and the removal of the dealers. With the death penalty for some dealers. Blaming the addicts is blaming the victim.

Dislike him if you must, but in Fidel Castro's Cuba there was no problem with drug addiction. Because anyone caught dealing drugs was removed. And vanished. We can't copy the illegal vanishings, but we can make our laws much harsher for a dealer who destroys an addicts life for profit. Dealers know and use addiction to turn a profit. It's immoral and the dealers should be targeted, not the victims.

Return to “North Okanagan”