"Let's push them back and take back our town"

Chyren
Board Meister

Re: "Let's push them back and take back our town"

Post by Chyren »

Its a tough situation for sure but how do you punish people with increases in penalties when they clearly don't even fear death?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Rider59 wrote:
Because_They_Lie wrote:Homeless are no less deserving of respect and humane treatment than any of you.

Really, respect is earned. I see no reason to respect most of these low life petty criminal scum. If they want better treatment, how about they treat society better?

*removed* No wonder why the lefties are laughed at so much.

exactly,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

bob vernon wrote:Bleeding heart New Zealanders!!

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as- ... -1.4649023

Lets all move to NZ to be housed .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Nah. Let's stay here and keep our poor, mentally ill, and abused on the street where we can whine and complain about them.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Some friends were in Vernon for the night recently. Sounds like you guys got some real issues with junkies up there. Yikes. Good luck with getting rid of them.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Unfortunately it is.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Some friends were in (Kamloops/Vernon/Kelowna/Penticton) for the night recently. Sounds like you guys got some real issues with junkies there. Yikes. Good luck with getting rid of them.

Really? Do you think the problem is worse in any one city than in any other. There are a few streets in any city that you want to steer clear of. Unfortunately, the majority of citizens won't accept the measures to ensure this ever gets cleaned up so it never will. And some politicians see an opportunity to demonize the street people in order to get elected. And then do nothing to solve the problem, but it sure sounds good in the campaign.

Oh yeah...... cut my taxes. And solve the homeless problem. This issue will continue. There are even homeless in Yellowknife. In the winter. It's now a permanent part of Canadian society.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

bob vernon wrote:Some friends were in (Kamloops/Vernon/Kelowna/Penticton) for the night recently. Sounds like you guys got some real issues with junkies there. Yikes. Good luck with getting rid of them.

Really? Do you think the problem is worse in any one city than in any other. There are a few streets in any city that you want to steer clear of. Unfortunately, the majority of citizens won't accept the measures to ensure this ever gets cleaned up so it never will. And some politicians see an opportunity to demonize the street people in order to get elected. And then do nothing to solve the problem, but it sure sounds good in the campaign.

Oh yeah...... cut my taxes. And solve the homeless problem. This issue will continue. There are even homeless in Yellowknife. In the winter. It's now a permanent part of Canadian society.

I been up to Yellowknife. My God. Those people drink bleach.

PocoGirl

Post by PocoGirl »

This is not Thumbs Up with Annette Sharkey imho. It will be more of the same with her endorsement. Weak at best and council is weak as well. https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#231063.
LyricalOne

Post by LyricalOne »

Seriously pocogirl.....YOU figure out a solution then. :cuss: What people are not seeming to recognize is that EVERYONE needs to work together and start somewhere, with an action, once the suggestion(s) are put out there. If the suggestion flops, try another...keep trying until something works. Your lambasting of Annette simply shows your lack of understanding of all that she does within our community...and I am certain that she is not a keyboard warrior as she is actually doing something about the issues rather than running her mouth....errrr, fingers! I would suggest that you become more informed and less judgemental.

All businesses (both the not-for-profit and for profit) are doing the best they can but this finger pointing thing is getting as out of hand as the issues facing EVERY major Okanagan City (I will keep it local). Homelessness and addictions can run concurrently or be completely separate...stop assuming that one is indicative of the other. There was a recent study that projected that by 2020, more than 30% of the population will be dealing with some element of mental health issue(s) and that depression will be the leading cause of disease (http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Dep ... story.html)....do you realize that loneliness, abuse, broken hearts, financial ruin, loss of children/spouse and depression are all elements that could be (and tend to be) the root cause of why people say to heck with fighting a system that is flawed and go to the street/Social services or have no choice but to go the street/social services? And tell me...if you had to navigate your way through the streets and services, would you not want to be under the influence of something to ease the fear, rejection, pain, etc? Ya, ya, ya...I can hear everyone saying that they would never let it get to that point....but what if??

I also understand, first hand, the impact that the criminally or heavily addicted street population have upon businesses...but don't fool yourself into thinking that is the worst case scenario as there are many shysters that walk past you that are not recognizable...they are the ones who smile at you but may be abusing their family, using illicit drugs and getting behind the wheel of a vehicle as they are on their way to the Management oriented position, or those who are profiting off the addictions, sex trade etc.etc ETC.!! Truthfully, you are surround by an invisible criminal element that are WAY more prevalent than the visible ones on Linear Park.

But I digress....before you call out one person...you had best know what you are speaking too. This is not an issue that is about Annette....this is a nation wide issue that will require a nation wide response with , I am certain, lots of trial and error but at least people are trying.
"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy."
"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly"[/b]
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Eight issues addressed by the plan.
Forty points within these eight points. All address the symptoms and don't do much for the problem. Was it even recognized?

Of the forty points, at least 16 require some expenditure of money by city hall. Some small amounts for the needle containers. Some much larger like more police officers for the local detachment and hiring private security guards. And, oh ya, reduce my taxes.
LyricalOne

Post by LyricalOne »

Bob, I understand but this is not about a small number of invested groups and citizens trying to find solutions to doorways being left with fecal matter/urine (hence the washroom suggestions), motivation for proper needle disposal programs that will see an actual return and so on. The task force was struck to find ways to help the community ...NOT to solve the far larger and more prevalent issues of homelessness and addiction and mental health. Give your head a shake and realize that the group can only do what is within reasonable capacity. A far larger union of federal, provincial, municipal, agencies, businesses and citizens alike would need to come together from ALL cities and towns of the province that are struggling.

Know this...Vernon is not the only city struggling with the issues but they are minor in scope compared to Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria and even Penticton. I have visited them all so far this year....just to cross compare and see what other cities are doing (whats working and what isn't). Do you honestly think that the City can implement EVERY suggestion? No! But at least there were some reasonable, doable and logical suggestions.

Goodness.....keyboard warriors run rampant....the first to criticize and the last to step in and help out! I do not see your commitment to represent your community by being part of the process......these were volunteers and people who are truly invested in trying to help...what are you doing???
"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy."
"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly"[/b]
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Sorry to be late replying, but I was doing my volunteer day. Seriously. Just as I have for years.

A solution to the homeless problem should be sought among all three levels of government. But is it possible that there is no solution. Know this (as you say) ..... there are homeless street people in many nations. All around the world. India, Brazil, many African countries, and many more. Is this our future whether we like it or not? Probably, as we have long since bumped up against the ability of the earth to sustain us in the lifestyle we've become accustomed to. And we long ago closed the psychiatric institutions and turned those folks out onto the street. Ain't tax cuts grand? Solving the homeless problem will, get ready for it.......... actually cost money. Imagine. Solving the homeless issue by actually building homes.

The drug issue is another thing all together and will need harsher penalties for trafficking addictive drugs. I believe jail for first offense and then the death penalty for second offense. Selling heroin, meth and fentanyl means you're stealing someone's life for profit. It's worthy of the death penalty.

The current attempts in Vernon are just a lot of bandaid attempts. The shopping cart ban looks like a real outlier. I don't think that the RCMP want, or have time, to start wrestling shopping carts away from people. That dirty work will likely be left to private security guards. Those confrontations should be great street entertainment. What will happen to the carts? Can they be returned to stores and a bounty collected on each one? What about the stuff in the carts? Will it just be dumped on the street or confiscated? Could anything of value be seized and sold to cover the costs of hiring security guards?

Return to “North Okanagan”