Okanagan Mountain Park/Good Creek

seewood
Guru

Re: Lightning Strikes in Okanagan Mountain Park

Post by seewood »

Poindexter wrote:In this picture the fire started to the far right, smoke from Summerland joins the OK mtn fire so may be tough to make out. Really sad to see, we were camping just below the fire line in the park this time last week.

So this is where the 8-10 Air Tractors are going. Wife just got me down off the roof.

Looking across the lake to the fire above Antlers, I now see flame 100+feet high from bottom to top. Flashbacks of 2003 for sure.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

The wind is carrying it uphill for now . So i dont see it going down to the lake to the last house anytime soon . There is pretty much all bare rockface in between aswell .
Strong and free
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#231729

UPDATE: 8:40 p.m.

A wildfire burning on the side of Okanagan Mountain Provincial Park has grown to 200 hectares in size.

As of 8:30 p.m., the BC Wildfire Service says the fire has increased in size and activity.

The fire is currently not an interface fire, but there are two homes on the lake just a short distance away from where the fire is burning.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

View from West Kelowna...

wktown.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

20180718_210659.jpg
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Jonrox wrote:As a resident of Kettle Valley (and almost as far west as you can get in Kettle Valley) and as someone who didn’t live here in 2003, what should my level of concern be? How close would the fire need to be before they tell us to leave?

I’ve had some coworkers who were evacuated in 2003 suggest to get a bag ready with important documents and keepsakes. How premature is that or is it premature? Some people have a flair for the dramatic and I haven’t been all that concerned to this point. It’s a bit unsettling but nothing I’m too worried about yet.

2003 was what they referred to as a "fire storm" and travelled very far very fast. it went from a small fire burning in the same area to destroying homes that same night. From what I remember, there was no evacuation alert, it went straight to an evacuation order for many people. and it was a nightmare for those trying to get out, and i can guarantee, the population in that area has increased significantly in the last 15 years.
not trying to scare you, but if history repeats, be prepared to leave in a moments notice, and be prepared for gridlock if it happens
Last edited by vinnied on Jul 18th, 2018, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
bperon

Post by bperon »

Glacier wrote:View from West Kelowna...

wktown.jpg

Is it just me or does that photo look bigger than 200 Hectares?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Does
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

just looking at that last photo, you can see how far its travelled since those earlier photos were posted around 6 o'clock.
Unless this wind is forecast to ease off, Id be making alternate plans for the evening if i was living on that side
just sayin
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Nationalpro
Fledgling

Post by Nationalpro »

vinnied wrote:
Jonrox wrote:As a resident of Kettle Valley (and almost as far west as you can get in Kettle Valley) and as someone who didn’t live here in 2003, what should my level of concern be? How close would the fire need to be before they tell us to leave?

I’ve had some coworkers who were evacuated in 2003 suggest to get a bag ready with important documents and keepsakes. How premature is that or is it premature? Some people have a flair for the dramatic and I haven’t been all that concerned to this point. It’s a bit unsettling but nothing I’m too worried about yet.

2003 was what they referred to as a "fire storm" and travelled very far very fast. it went from a small fire burning in the same area to destroying homes that same night. From what I remember, there was no evacuation alert, it went straight to an evacuation order for many people. and it was a nightmare for those trying to get out, and i can guarantee, the population in that area has increased significantly in the last 15 years.
not trying to scare you, but if history repeats, be prepared to leave in a moments notice, and be prepared for gridlock if it happens

Move propane tanks away from house, put sprinklers on roof from falling pieces, most important belongings ready to go
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Smoke major thick here now in upper mission
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

bperon wrote:
Is it just me or does that photo look bigger than 200 Hectares?

It also seems to show that the fires are in two different locations, as it appeared from my place when the smoke was first visible this evening.
Certainly hope the wind stays as calm as it is right now and doesn't pick up again during the night.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

20180718_211930.jpg

How large a file can I post? I'm getting it down to 1.1 by texting to myself but may be able to post a better picture. In this one you can clearly see the summerland fire which is also getting a lot worse.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

tsayta wrote:Smoke major thick here now in upper mission

From below you, we can see that the smoke is just settling down over the mountain now that the winds have calmed down.
mitch111

Post by mitch111 »

Central Green webcam
2125.jpg

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”