Okanagan Mountain Park/Good Creek

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Lightning Strikes in Okanagan Mountain Park

Post by Glacier »

Snarf wrote:2003 all over again...

Sounds about right. Prior to humans putting out the fires, the forests used to burn every 15 years.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Poindexter wrote:I'd say wind is blowing from the West more now. Like I said, maybe wishful thinking but smoke appears to be blowing back over fire, or at least uphill and no longer toward the Mission.

Was just outside and there's a pretty strong wind blowing from the south west.
That would push the fire directly towards the mission, not away from it.

It could well be that the heat from the fire is affecting how the winds behave directly above it.
lumbite

Post by lumbite »

vinnied wrote:
dominik wrote:Any idea on location?

oddly enough its pretty much the exact same location the 2003 fire started. heavy rain was pouring down on it, shortly after it started. don't have the advantage point right now for an update though

Not exactly the same spot. The 2003 fire started above commando bay a few hundred meters south.
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

Been hearing fire trucks in upper mission
Last edited by perspicacious on Jul 18th, 2018, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Standing here on stellar court. Wind now died down. Glowing red over the ridge. No visible flames. Across the lake above gormans very visible flames
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

perspicacious wrote:Been hearing fire trucks in upper mission

Yep...lots of sirens heading south past us
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

peachlandboy wrote:Not exactly the same spot. The 2003 fire started above commando bay a few hundred meters south.

While it matters some, there's a lot of new fuel built up in the area since the last fire. Like I said, we were just camping and hiking there last week and the grass and scrub are thick and dry. We couldn't walk through some of the old orchards up there that we were able to before because it had overgrown so much. Also one of the more notable things is that many of the trees that were killed in the last fire but were still standing have now fallen and added a new source of fuel.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

We just drove south on Hwy 97 last month and I commented that the park was finally starting to look green and vegetative again. I guess I should have kept my mouth shut.
arcleaf

Post by arcleaf »

From strathcona park 1030pm
Attachments
Okanagan Mtn
Okanagan Mtn
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

peachlandboy wrote:Not exactly the same spot. The 2003 fire started above commando bay a few hundred meters south.

A few hundred meters is a mere 900-1000 feet.

I love your desire to be "accurate", but the path of a thousand feet for a wildfire can be consumed in about 8 seconds...wind dependant...
Nationalpro
Fledgling

Post by Nationalpro »

Hiked wild horse canyon / commando bay last week, you can see some of the regrowth in that area
Attachments
20180709_125912~2.jpg
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Glacier wrote:
Snarf wrote:2003 all over again...

Sounds about right. Prior to humans putting out the fires, the forests used to burn every 15 years.

But...humans do put out fires, don't they? I mean, is that what has changed? We've always had hot, dry summers and we've always had dry lightning, but the fires and resulting smoke in the 21st century seem to be so much worse than in the last century (or at least the last half of it). Is it the way that fires are looked upon and fought these days that makes us endure these horrible fires and smoke every summer now?
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

Catri wrote:But...humans do put out fires, don't they? I mean, is that what has changed? We've always had hot, dry summers and we've always had dry lightning, but the fires and resulting smoke in the 21st century seem to be so much worse than in the last century (or at least the last half of it). Is it the way that fires are looked upon and fought these days that makes us endure these horrible fires and smoke every summer now?

What's changed is human population growth. 100 years ago these fires where in the middle of nowhere...now a fire can't start without it threatening a human settled area in any direction. 100 years ago Kelowna had a population of roughly 3000...now its about 125,000. All those areas burning were far from populated areas and at times were left to burn...now all those areas are interface areas so they have to be fought.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Nationalpro wrote:Hiked wild horse canyon / commando bay last week, you can see some of the regrowth in that area

Nice pic. I've hiked the area a fair bit, albeit not since 2016. Can't be much candling in this fire, as there's only isolated pockets of live trees there these days. But the underbrush/new growth (grass, bushes, very young short trees) is quite thick. So, it's a different beast than 2003, in that the fuel source profile is quite different. So, no, it's not "2003 all over again". Where it's the same is in location, and those in charge ignoring weather forecasts. I don't care if things are still quite green or lush or remote or whatever; wind = defcon 5. Don't take chances, get on that sh*t.
Your bias suits you.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Fire looks like its burning itself out . Hasnt grown since last night much . Flames arent visible
Strong and free

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”