Live Feed - Is there anything

Snickerdoodle
Board Meister

Live Feed - Is there anything

Post by Snickerdoodle »

I was one of the many thousands affected in 2003, and probably the biggest thing that helped me get ahead and be prepared was 1150 CKOV. We were up in June Springs - so no warnings issued for us - but we kept the radio on for days, and it was giving us live updates. As well as people were calling in and providing contact information for those that needed places to stay or transportation, somewhere to keep the pets / livestock.

So now we have.... nothing? The scanners have all gone encrypted so can't listen to those online...I think there is some you can still here if you had a scanner. But in the evening there is no live local radio to hear updates.

Or does someone know of where you can download or even turn on a radio to hear the local news when all else is quiet. Even the local stations just pump in US news one its after 10pm.

Where are you Phil Johnson!!!????
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Live Feed - Is there anything

Post by gardengirl »

I was thinking the exact same thing.
We had our radio on all the time. Pretty sure it was 1150 and up to date all the time.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Pretty sure this isn't the same scope as 2003. chill
KVRNut

Post by KVRNut »

Snickerdoodle

The only encrypted frequencies I know of are the RCMP and the military. You can still listen to Fire, Ambulance, BCWS, Airport, Environment Canada, and Highways. Found that I don't miss listening to the RCMP so I don't have their frequencies entered as the RCMP are usually so busy, all you'd hear is them. Most times I'll listen to our first responders while I'm out and about so I can stay out of their way or find alternate routes away from the emergency. A good radio can really help get the jump on warning friends about potential evacuations where they live.
If you do decide to purchase a radio, get one that has room for a minimum 100 frequencies (you'll need all of them!). Uniden makes good handheld and base radios. You can order direct from them or check out the pawn shops for a good used radio.
I do agree we do need good local news coverage on our radio stations and other media. So far Castanet seems about the best.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

gman313 wrote:Pretty sure this isn't the same scope as 2003. chill

When people are worried about their homes, and the potential for more fires today, I don't think the word "chill" is applicable.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

It would be great if there was an accurate feed regarding the road closures, and / or the length of time wait that is occurring.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

gman313 wrote:Pretty sure this isn't the same scope as 2003. chill

Fancy wrote:When people are worried about their homes, and the potential for more fires today, I don't think the word "chill" is applicable.

I'm one of those people, and I agree with gman.

I think KVRnut nailed the radio information down really well. As for road closures & the like, CORD updates should cover everything. Sign up for email alerts if you are in an interface area, like I am. Quickest way to get official evac information, without having to wade through a bunch of fluff.
Your bias suits you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I would think if one is on evacuation alert, one isn't "chilled" but getting things organized to leave on a moment's notice. I don't think relaxing is quite the way to go. It's not just the 2003, but also the years afterwards (2009 was a bad year for evacuations as well).
Last edited by Fancy on Jul 20th, 2018, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Well, that wasn't my direct experience during the times I've been on alert & order. Calm, cool, and collected (AKA "chill") is the way to go in these situations. :130: OFC not everyone has the same reaction to the same situation.
Your bias suits you.
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

Radio for sure!
Facebook has some great up to date reports from those who live in the fire areas.
Castanet is not reliable(sorry Castanet!) but, updates every 3-4 hrs. doesn't help. If anything it confuses the reader! Forums end up arguing about wind direction instead of reporting minute by minute facts.
Radio or Social Media is the place to find hands on, up to date info. :up:
Just say it as it is!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Woodenhead - your definition is different from mine so there you go. Chill to me means putting my feet up and having a beer and never mind the surroundings. Always calm, cool and collected is the way to go and always be prepared. With all the wind and potential lightening today it would be awesome to find out through a live feed what's happening especially for people that are travelling around.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

eh, I find social media like facebook to have a lot of fluff to wade thru as well. Although the pertinent/true info may hit there first, you still need to properly parse everything. Castanet has it's share of crap, but I do see a fair bit of "off topic post removed" dealios going on in this fire forum, so the mods are doing what they can. Kudos for them taking that approach ( :up: ) in here. Otherwise it would be a cesspool of bickering & confusion, adding to relative panic.

Fancy: ah, I understand the confusion. Chill means that to me, too! But it also means (and this is how gman used it) to calm down a notch or three. According to the teenager I once was. (and still am on summer weekends)

bonus link: smoke data visualisation map: https://hwp-viz.gsd.esrl.noaa.gov/smoke/index.html#
Your bias suits you.
Yug

Post by Yug »

Being ready is good. If you know the fire is in your area, get your *bleep* ready. You live in forested areas, fires do happen. Be ready. I think one of the reasons there isn't as much radio coverage, is cause it is not within the city limits yet. Woodenhead has it right. If you want updates faster get yourself on the CORD updates web site. www.cordemergency.ca is a good place to start.

Stay safe.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

BTW, what resources do you folks use for wind visualization / forecasts? Windfinder looks good, but I'm wondering if there are other options worth looking at.

https://www.windfinder.com/
Your bias suits you.
KVRNut

Post by KVRNut »

Woodenhead
A very handy site. Weather Radar. Updates every 10 minutes. https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=XSS

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”