Okanagan Mountain Park/Good Creek

ktowner
Fledgling

Re: Okanagan Mountain Park/Good Creek

Post by ktowner »

Could see the front at the top of the mountain flaring up earlier this evening. Www.Peachland.info webcam shows some active flame activity up high as of 9:45pm .
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Something developing with this fire? Big new smoke
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

tsayta wrote:Something developing with this fire? Big new smoke

yep,looks like it whipped up to the top
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Drove down from Kelowna at around 4:30. Two areas of activity. Looks like the fire found a bit of fuel and is burning off at the moment. One heli with a bucket was flying around. Just now 4 Air Tractors were heading North. I suspect it is more for anxiety for some instead of the fire actually being a threat to life or property. Maybe the towers on top though?

I flew over the area earlier this year in a helicopter and there really is not much in the way of sustained heavy fuel loads up there. Some pockets of fuel but lots of rock.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Fire Perimeter Number: K51242
Track Date 2018-7-22
Estimated Size (HA) 577.20
Stage of Control Fire of Note
Fire of Note Name Goode's Creek
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

There appears to be some confusion about what this fire is called. This thread names it as 'Good Creek'. Yet castanet stories call it 'Goode Creek'. Is there another creek? Official government topo maps show a Good Creek in OKM park.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#232103

Friedrich von Schiller
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Seems to be active again right now.
Attachments
Peachland webcam .jpg
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

Look like the fire burn down to the lake at Bucken Bay and headed back up to the flats at Wildhorse canyon to bad the hit it with the water bombers its need to burn all that ugly blow down timber from the 2003 fire and make better wildlife habitat
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

blueliner wrote:Look like the fire burn down to the lake at Bucken Bay and headed back up to the flats at Wildhorse canyon to bad the hit it with the water bombers its need to burn all that ugly blow down timber from the 2003 fire and make better wildlife habitat

Exactly. Typically, this type of habitat would burn regularly roughly 8-15 years. Putting fires out year after year without letting them clean up the forest is resulting in larger and more volatile fire behavior each summer.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Hidden just below the surface text of this article is a reminder that fires can bring out the ash holes...

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... -of-planes

As crews continue to work on the three fires in Okanagan Mountain Provincial Park, boaters in the area are causing problems for helicopters and skimmers working on the fires.

"These wildfires may look inactive, but there are significant safety hazards that continue to be present," the BCWS said. "Trees that have been damaged by fire might be unstable and could fall down. Ash pits can be hard to detect and will remain hot long after the flames have died down."
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

They bumped the size up to 1370 hectares. I think they pretty much got it under control though, haven't seen much smoke for a couple days.
Attachments
Perimeter map .png
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

4 AT8T's launched about 30 minutes ago and headed up that way. These "scoopers" are currently based out of Penticton and looks like they will be dropping lots of water for the next while. Hopefully they won't be hampered by the boaters. :-X
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

JagXKR wrote:4 AT8T's launched about 30 minutes ago and headed up that way. These "scoopers" are currently based out of Penticton and looks like they will be dropping lots of water for the next while. Hopefully they won't be hampered by the boaters. :-X

They should have let the Goodes Creek fire burn away and get rid of all the ugly old blow timer that was choking up all the draws . Sure the Parks branch wanted it to go that way , but some how the upper brass in the Forestry pulled rank .
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

beaverdale and carmi are on the other side of that mountain so it cant just be let burn
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

voice of reason wrote:beaverdale and carmi are on the other side of that mountain so it cant just be let burn

Long ways to go to get over to the Beaverdale-Carmi region .

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”