Fire Restrictions Start April 23rd

Frisk
Guru

Re: Fire Restrictions Start April 23rd

Post by Frisk »

johnny24 wrote:
Exactly. The fires are due to weather. Camp fire ban is not going to change the weather.

Not really what I was saying. The weather is what influences fire behavior, lightning or human caused. Having a campfire ban may prevent additional human caused fires that put a strain on resources fighting natural caused fires.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Frisk wrote:2003 Chilko lake fire? 2011 Wallow fire in Arizona? There's been a few large ones started by campfire.

They are very rare if you have to go back 15 years to find one in this province. I was there at Chilko Lake in 2003 when the fire started. I'm pretty sure there was a fire ban in place already at the time, but I could be wrong. I remember the mushroom cloud shooting up right behind our house though.

INTERESTING FACT: since 2003, the Chilcotin plateau has burned all the way from Chilko Lake to the Fraser River!

The main reason there have been so many massive fires of late is that the forests are encroaching on the grasslands. The 114,000 hectares of grasslands in the east Kootenays alone has been lost to forest. This creates more fuel in the driest and hottest parts of the province. Prescribed burns would do more to prevent future fires than camp fire bans would.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Tooth and nail to keep those campfires lol
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Campfires are banned in the Southeast Fire Centre as of noon Pacific on Thursday, July 26, 2018.

https://www.castlegarnews.com/news/camp ... -thursday/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Finally!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Also for the Kamloops fire centre.
- Douglas Murray
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Symbonite wrote:They always do this. they should ban campfires from June 21 to September 21. No one needs a campfire...use a Propane campfire or Propane BBQ....

Oh but its not the same without a fire when we go camping...same with the forest...It wont be the same when it burns down.

Perhaps you should demonstrate how to carry a propane campfire or propane BBQ in a backpack ........ maybe your idea of enjoying the backcountry is to use a massive RV?
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Symbonite wrote:Finally!

Such BS! We already have laws on the books for individuals that might start a forest fire. Just how much governance do we need? It is established fact that fires are not caused by campfires.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Campfires can cause fires Captain obvious so happy to hear their band. :biggrin:
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

fz6adventure wrote:
maybe your idea of enjoying the backcountry is to use a massive RV?

Nope...Its not even in a RV...I stay home because its too hot outside and/or Have to deal with the Campers and RVers aka Box Draggers.

If I do happen to go out to visit someone that is camping we sure enjoy ourselves....without a fire

Anyways....Finally
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Sooo many fires will be prevented by this. NOT!
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

skydawg wrote:Sooo many fires will be prevented by this. NOT!

Maybe they should also place a back country smoking ban too and prevent even more fires
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

blueliner wrote:Maybe they should also place a back country smoking ban too and prevent even more fires

Just close the back country to all motorized vehicles, period. Only idiots start forest fires, and it's very rare for an idiot to make it into the back country using their own 2 legs. :up:
Your bias suits you.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

i see plenty of idiots in the back country on their own two legs
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

yeah - mostly when they stop to *bleep* out the beer or shoot at something
Your bias suits you.