Close the backcountry?

Sparki55
Guru

Re: Close the backcountry?

Post by Sparki55 »

Symbonite wrote:Another reason to close it

https://www.straight.com/news/1114411/w ... -vancouver

Most likely from a campfire

There is clearly a fire ban in place which was not followed, so would a back country ban be followed by the idiots who started the fire? Where the heck is you reasoning on this? :135:
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Symbonite wrote:Another reason to close it

https://www.straight.com/news/1114411/w ... -vancouver

Most likely from a campfire

There's a campfire ban, so that's not possible. I don't see where it says it was started by a campfire.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Well i guess these guys didnt get the memo with all the signs around...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4779728
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Symbonite wrote:Well i guess these guys didnt get the memo with all the signs around...https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4779728

And that is why there could be a restriction to the back country when fire danger has hit extreme for a number of days.

The few idiots ruin for many.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

seewood wrote:And that is why there could be a restriction to the back country when fire danger has hit extreme for a number of days.

The few idiots ruin for many.

So because people aren't following the rules you think that if we put in more rules they will follow them? :135:

That would be like if we were trying to crackdown on heroin use, herion already being illegal and then we make it also illegal to be in possession of needles?! It doesn't fight the crime it punishes all who are law abiding in the first place.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Sparki55 wrote:That would be like if we were trying to crackdown on heroin use, herion already being illegal and then we make it also illegal to be in possession of needles?! It doesn't fight the crime it punishes all who are law abiding in the first place.

???

I suspect if there was a ban to access the back country, most will adhere to it seeing the reasoning. As with everything, there will always be some who believe the rules don't apply to them and might try to access regardless of the fire dangers.
I've seen the wooden saw-horse type barricades across roads in the Naramata area a few years ago. Did they work? Perhaps to some or perhaps even most, but I believe most will agree some will have found access from another point because they won't start a fire...
Why do logging operations stop when the fire hazard gets to extreme after a number of days? They have fire tools on site and carry huge insurance policies in case they start a fire. Some *bleep* on a bike or side by side driving about in tall grass flick their but … Yes I do believe a few are that stooopid. The operative word is FEW.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

seewood wrote:I suspect if there was a ban to access the back country, most will adhere to it seeing the reasoning. As with everything, there will always be some who believe the rules don't apply to them and might try to access regardless of the fire dangers.
I've seen the wooden saw-horse type barricades across roads in the Naramata area a few years ago. Did they work? Perhaps to some or perhaps even most, but I believe most will agree some will have found access from another point because they won't start a fire...
Why do logging operations stop when the fire hazard gets to extreme after a number of days? They have fire tools on site and carry huge insurance policies in case they start a fire. Some *bleep* on a bike or side by side driving about in tall grass flick their but … Yes I do believe a few are that stooopid. The operative word is FEW.

You suspect people will follow the ban? [icon_lol2.gif] yea all the good law abiders. The article above said people were having a fire 19 stepsaway from a fire ban sign! These people are not going to respect a backcountry ban and have a fire anyway.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Sparki55 wrote:You suspect people will follow the ban?

I suspect many will follow the ban as I mentioned in my post. I also mentioned there will be some who feel the ban does not apply to them and will ignore the ban. Human nature for those who are too stoopid to grasp the consequences when the little fire goes pear shaped.
Last edited by seewood on Aug 12th, 2018, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I was in the backcountry yesterday not a single thing caught on fire, I know its hard to believe I was amazed to
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

seewood wrote:
I suspect many will follow the ban as I mentioned in my post. I also mentioned there will be some who feel the ban does not apply to them and will ignore the ban. Human nature for those who are too stooped to grasp the consequences when the little fire goes pear shaped.

Yes, an upright person knows better.
Black Dogs Matter
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

seewood wrote:

I suspect many will follow the ban as I mentioned in my post. I also mentioned there will be some who feel the ban does not apply to them and will ignore the ban. Human nature for those who are too stooped to grasp the consequences when the little fire goes pear shaped.

Yes, great idea. Keep the law abiding citizens out so that the "stooped" people can take it over.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

seewood wrote:

And what does people following the ban accomplish?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

No fires ?
Black Dogs Matter
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

dogspoiler wrote:No fires ?

How did that work out last year?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

100 percent perfectly. There was not one fire that spread from a campfire that had not been lit.
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”