Kin Beach

RRWilson2015

Kin Beach

Post by RRWilson2015 »

Can anyone tell me why the city of Vernon and RDNO are looking after and paying for clean up at KIN BEACH?
OKIB land and jurisdiction I believe, why are they having trouble self governing and maintaining "their" stretch of beach?
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Re: Kin Beach

Post by Ingevan22 »

Because working together is the right thing to do.

(... RDNO is involved because Electoral Area B is mostly comprised of OKIB land)

Pretty sure the City of Vernon benefits the most from increased Kin beach use - most users have to travel through city lands to get to the beach, past many businesses, so there is clearly an economic benefit to keeping the beach clean.

But what about the dogs?!? Apparently the City & RDNO are not keen to enforce City or Regional District bylaws on OKIB lands. So if the OKIB is serious about keeping dogs off their beach - beyond posting signs - perhaps they need to hire their own patrols, or negotiate a bylaw enforcement agreement with the City/RDNO?
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Happytobehere
Fledgling

Post by Happytobehere »

There is also the issue of resources. The OKIB does not have taxation authority and the funding from Ottawa is limited. RDNO and the city have taxation authority so they have financial resources for staff and projects. Plus, we all benefit from the beach and the OKIB could put up no trespassing signs if they wanted.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

RRWilson2015 wrote:Can anyone tell me why the city of Vernon and RDNO are looking after and paying for clean up at KIN BEACH?
OKIB land and jurisdiction I believe, why are they having trouble self governing and maintaining "their" stretch of beach?

I am assuming your question has come from the attached article below, which IF read thoroughly you would have seen that they "have entered into an agreement" which suggests that finances are part of this.

Then there is the following that further suggests a financial agreement was made, so don't get your knickers in a knot RRWilson2015:

"The agreement says that we will provide maintenance of their lands, which is the same agreement we had previously," said Vernon mayor Akbal Mund. "There was a hiccup with the cost, and that was it. I don't know what the cost is now, but it is relatively minor and it provides a clean area for the general public to use."

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/233969/OKIB-Vernon-agree-on-Kin
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

suggests a financial agreement was made

I understand it is a complicated arrangement where the 3 jurisdictions (OKIB, City, RDNO) have factored in actual cash contributions, in-kind contributions such as manpower to rake the beach when the City is already doing their portion, ownership of equipment, etc. Not sure how much or who pays?

Attached is what Councillor Nahal posted on the Vernon Morning Star's Facebook page.
Attachments
Vernon Morning Star on Facebook
Vernon Morning Star on Facebook
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."

Return to “North Okanagan”