When are we going to learn!

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: When are we going to learn!

Post by tsayta »

Symbonite wrote:If your in a interface property...You should have some sort of insurance. some people found out the hard way in 2003

some sort of special interface insurance?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Controlled burning should be stepped up again - maybe NOW people will begin to understand that not all fire is bad.

Controlled burning was used quite successfully many years ago but people complained: environmentalists, tourist agencies, the general public(they could see it and smell it) so debris/weeds/logging trash was allowed to build up setting the perfect stage for Wildfires.

As for Heathcott, who prescribed his last burn nearly a decade ago, his favourite part of the job was returning to the site a decade later to see the new landscape—a long-term reason to do controlled burns today. “The Canadian biota is treated only by accidents, arson or lightning,” he says. “It’s been an uphill battle forever.”

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/pre ... e-do-more/
Chill
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I wonder how much of the pine beetle devastation has contributed to adding fuel to the fires. This is something that could have been addressed awhile ago and, in many places could still be dealt with. For example, has anyone driven the Coq from Kamloops lately and seen the dead trees? It's a major fire just waiting to happen especially with the winds that howl through there. How many other places up North have similar areas? But no, we live in a society that tends to intervene, rather than focus on prevention.
ol goat
Fledgling

Post by ol goat »

Mount Robson and Jasper parks are both ready for some good burns with all the pine beetle kill there but i see no prevention there
You only get one chance to use TODAY wisely otherwise it becomes yesterday and it’s gone
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Look at the detail the US government provides on their fires....

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6138/
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

tsayta wrote:Look at the detail the US government provides on their fires....

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6138/

Wow, just wow! They tell the public everything that there is to know. There is no second guessing if/when the fire is going to be dealt with as happens here, how many peeps are fighting fire, overview and predictions. It is Glacier/Frisk and others who glean info as best they can.

In addition to my post of yesterday I would like to add: I wish we had reservists to call upon in times of emergency instead of relying on the feds to feebly send forth, reluctantly and oh, so slowly.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

The "trouble" with publishing detailed information on the efforts to fight a wild fire, is that once you've set the standard of providing thorough concise information and you are doing NOTHING to control a certain fire, it's pretty obvious.

BC's way, keeps everyone in the dark. Incomplete, delayed updates are the Forrest Service's "friend".

Would love to know the real inside details on the decision on some of the fire fighting disaster like doing nothing at the onset of the OK Mountain fire back in 2004.

We are only the public, we pay the bills we suffer when there's a screw up. Not only with wild fires, but flood control, police incidents, release of prisoners, road maintenance or lack thereof (plowing or sanding).

I'm sure the few good investigative reporters we have in BC (don't look locally there are none) who attempt to get to the facts through talking to the authorities and making FOI requests could tell some stories.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

Catsumi wrote:One fellow I heard speaking on CBC radio today used to be a firefighter in California. He said that firefighters are at it even during night hours, whereas here in B.C. they shut down until daylight. Maybe we should investigate this avenue too.

The same California that's had 1100+ structures burn down this year? We should emulate them? Oh do tell, I'm all ears.
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

tsayta wrote:
Symbonite wrote:If your in a interface property...You should have some sort of insurance. some people found out the hard way in 2003

some sort of special interface insurance?

Yeah, they're called Super High Premiums and I pay them yearly.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

ShannonG wrote:
Catsumi wrote:One fellow I heard speaking on CBC radio today used to be a firefighter in California. He said that firefighters are at it even during night hours, whereas here in B.C. they shut down until daylight. Maybe we should investigate this avenue too.

The same California that's had 1100+ structures burn down this year? We should emulate them? Oh do tell, I'm all ears.

As you know California is highly populated, more homes snd businesses by far. Without the night firefighting, don't you think the number of destroyed structures would be much higher?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

Catsumi wrote:

As you know California is highly populated, more homes snd businesses by far. Without the night firefighting, don't you think the number of destroyed structures would be much higher?

They also employ inmates at a rate of $2/day to fight fires. But those same inmates can't get jobs as firefighters when they're released.
And California has a large amount of sparsely populated area, with pockets of dense population. The whole state doesn't look like LA
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... on_map.png
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

my5cents wrote:The "trouble" with publishing detailed information on the efforts to fight a wild fire, is that once you've set the standard of providing thorough concise information and you are doing NOTHING to control a certain fire, it's pretty obvious.

BC's way, keeps everyone in the dark. Incomplete, delayed updates are the Forrest Service's "friend".

Would love to know the real inside details on the decision on some of the fire fighting disaster like doing nothing at the onset of the OK Mountain fire back in 2004.

We are only the public, we pay the bills we suffer when there's a screw up. Not only with wild fires, but flood control, police incidents, release of prisoners, road maintenance or lack thereof (plowing or sanding).

I'm sure the few good investigative reporters we have in BC (don't look locally there are none) who attempt to get to the facts through talking to the authorities and making FOI requests could tell some stories.

You seem to be on to something here, my5scents. Obfuscation by the Powers that Be does provide a smoke screen (sorry, couldn't help myself) for doing nothing, or doing it very badly.

The problem is, even with topnotch investigative reporting it will come, if at all, after the damage is done.

Our gov't finds millions $$$ magically to attend to drug users. Funds which could have been useful in cleanup of forests and perhaps employ the ne'er-do-wells in constructive, valuable work. I like the prisoner idea too.

Unknown

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”