Similkameen fires

Woodenhead
Guru

Re: Similkameen fires

Post by Woodenhead »

Never been to Cathedral, but hope to backpack there sometime soon-ish. I hope all goes well there...

I did Mt. Robson / Berg Lake for 4 days a few weeks ago. Perfect weather (sunny + 25-30 C every day)... except for a thin smoke haze. Can't get away from it this year!

Obligatory pix I took: https://imgur.com/gallery/4RKkaXf
Your bias suits you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Drip_Torch wrote:
Wait what? Cool Creek 100 ha? Ugh, I think there will be an update on that number - very unofficially I'll suggest it's currently off by about by about 4400 ha +.

I think it's more like 15,000 hectares. Old Tom Creek is more like 1000 hectares.

SIMILAMEEN.jpg

SIMILAMEEN2.jpg

EDIT: Placer Mountain is a separate fire outlined in my map, so really Cool Creek is more like 10,000 hectares.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Yup, I was being conservative in my estimate. The two detections to the north of cool creek had a fire number yesterday, but I can't find that number today on any of the mapping services. I suspect it'll be there soon enough, but isn't quite there yet.

VIIRS.jpg

sat.jpg

Notice how you can see penticton a couple hours ago? Well, the flow is changing and that won't last too much longer, so if you want to see the blueish sky today - that window is closing soon.

I thought it would suffice to say Cool Creek is more than 100 ha, and I sure didn’t want to get caught swinging around a large number. My first guestimate was 4700 ha, but VIIRS seems to overstate things a bit, - so I dialed it back.

PS: What's up with the southern excursion on your estimate?
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The BC Wildfire website pegs it at 5000 hectares... https://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/ ... 65dbcd7538
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Actual retail Ha without going over... you know the rules, I win. Now, how about those annual area burned since 1920 numbers? Can you at least PM me a hint on how to generate them from the provinces data warehouse?

Didn't we do this last year in the same area? [icon_lol2.gif]
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

I'll be the first to admit I might have missed something here, but on July 28, 2018 an area closure went into effect for the placer mtn fire. I've searched for updates, but haven't found any.

So, look at it today...

elvis-has.jpg

left-the-building.jpg

I'm going to guess it's very obvious you don't want to go there, but it appears to me the area closure is in need of an update. No big deal in the grand scheme of things and I'll also be the first to admit my overlay might be off, but I believe the horse is out of the corral.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Now estimated at 6000 hectares.
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Check out the smoke plume tracking south in the last frames of visible satellite this evening. Got to be among the biggest in bc right now
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Woodenhead wrote:Never been to Cathedral, but hope to backpack there sometime soon-ish. I hope all goes well there...

I did Mt. Robson / Berg Lake for 4 days a few weeks ago. Perfect weather (sunny + 25-30 C every day)... except for a thin smoke haze. Can't get away from it this year!

Obligatory pix I took: https://imgur.com/gallery/4RKkaXf
I know that we're off-topic but a friend and I backpacked the Berg Lake trail a few decades ago and it was fantastic! We also did a backpacking trip to Cathedral Lakes and it was terrific as well. I hope you get there soon. You won't regret it.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Screenshot_20180818-143941.png
- Douglas Murray
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Well that's good! It was a mistake I guess. Whew.
― Albert Einstein
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

― Albert Einstein
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

psst… ultra unofficially - Cool is about 8300 ++, with another 400 on the northern excursion.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Still percolating away under all this smoke. I'm sticking with my completely unofficial number from yesterday for the moment, although I see signs things are picking up that way.

aug-19-viirs.jpg

Nothing spectacular going on. Just doing its thing, as it does in the late afternoon. Here's a sat shot from yesterday afternoon. Ironic, could have got a breath of fresher air standing next to it, or so it looks.

aug-18-land.jpg

And, here's the same shot with a false colour added and some labels for navigation. I can see why cool creek isn't a very high priority fire. Not much in the immediate area in the way of values and good chance it'll find itself corralled, or at least slowed by the existing burns and cutblocks.

aug-18-land-false.jpg

(To be completely accurate my placer mtn label should be slightly north of where it landed in photoshop... oh well, standard legal disclaimer applies.)

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”